THR Hip Hip Hooray!

Thank you for all the ideas. I think I will alternate shower days with sponge bath days. I feel safer sitting on the bed for sponge bath vs shower. I don't have any grab bars in the shower. My husband is talking with handyman about possible installation. We can't use the suction grab bars as the tile is porous & not flat texture. The grab bars need to be drilled in. PT is coming again today. I'll see what he wants me to do. I want to heal & recover so badly. I want my life back. My Ortho tells me to take one day at a time...my recovery is my recovery...don't try to keep up with anyone else...it's not a race.
 
I'm sorry you're having a rough adjustment.

There's no way to shortcut the healing process on a cellular level.

For now, temporarily, this IS your life. If you can learn to reframe things to relax into the evolving, improving needs of your new hips, your outlook will improve.

And I bet when you're able to use your walker to step out into fresh air and sunshine (great therapy!) you'll be happier too!
 
Yay! I finally am able to stand in the shower long enough to wash privates. I sit on 3-in-1 commode chair for the rest of the shower. It feels wonderful to be in shower. I am continuing with all my bed exercises & standing ones. I am walking more. My thighs feel weird..kinda hard..like bricks...is that normal? I am overall feeling better each day. I am 2 weeks post-op.
 
You are at the recovery turning point where everything gets easier because you’ve figured out solutions and gotten stronger. Hurrah! Now it’s time for the long slog where you just have to have patience with your healing body as it slowly heals. I would get that shower bar installed. It will be months before you feel totally comfortable in the shower and it’s a good safety item any time. You seem to be doing amazing! Thanks for keeping us updated.
 
I'm 6 weeks out and some parts of my thigh and outer hip still feel weird and hard.

I don't know if this would help, but I have a heavy duty 4-footed cane that I use in the shower to help me balance. It stands on it's own and doesn't slip. That's helped me in the shower since day 2. That and shower wands for easier reach to certain spots.
 
Yay on finding things that work for you. I feel like the four pronged cane gives me greater balance walking.
 
My thighs feel weird..kinda hard..like bricks...is that normal?
Do you have a lot of swelling? It may feel tight and hard due to inflammation.
The first stage of healing is the inflammatory phase. During this time it is very common to notice swelling. After lower extremity surgery, or trauma involving bleeding and inflammation, there will be fluid in the leg causing the sensation of heaviness. Gravity pulls the fluid downward and since the patient is less mobile the fluid is not pumping back through the heart as quickly. The swelling gradually eases, but can persist for up to 3-6 months in some cases. Regular movement will assist in the reduction of swelling, as will elevation and ice.
 
Yes, I have that feeling in my thighs..the tissue is hard..doesn't feel like flesh..more like bricks. My PT says same thing...its due to swelling. He also recommends massaging my thighs upward towards my heart to help lessen swelling & get the fluid to get to my heart so it can get out of my body. I am nearly 3 weeks post-op. I still need pain med at night. I am walking more & doing all my exercises. PT will dischg me today. I won't have any outpt PT. My surgeon wants me to focus on walking & all the exercises to strengthen my muscles. If at the 8-wk post-op he evaluates I need outpt PT, then it'll be ordered at that time. I look forward to improvements each day.
 
I am just past three weeks and am still on meds- morning one and night one. For me this allows me to do exercises and walk more in the house.
 
Happy One Month Anniversary!

My PT says same thing...its due to swelling. He also recommends massaging my thighs upward towards my heart to help lessen swelling & get the fluid to get to my heart so it can get out of my body.
It is our lymph system that rids the body of fluid (swelling). So you do want to get the fluid to the lymph nodes in your torso area so your body can more quickly process it. The lymph system works rather slowly on its own and much more efficiently with the assistance of gravity. The fluid isn’t draining into the hips, but contained with the lymph system and moving to the torso and lymph nodes located there.

BoneSmart FA, CricketHip, is involved in Therapeutic Massage and has shared this exercise to assist in manual lymph drainage. This gentle, yet effective therapy will help prime your lymphatic system to move fluid and inflammation away from your leg, which in turn will help your range of motion and pain - you may want to give it a try and tag her if you have any questions.

While lying supine, take deep breaths...deep, as in breathing in to a count of 5, 4, or 3 seconds, whatever is most comfortable for you. Hold that breath for another count of 5, 4, 3 then blow out completely, still using the count that's comfortable for you. A series of at least 6 reps may help get the excess swelling to move. To ensure you are taking proper deep breaths, place your hand on your naval and watch while taking in your breath, if doing this properly you should see your hand move up. Repeat this whenever you feel up to it during the day or night. Lying flat (supine) is best as the lymph nodes seated in your groin are less restricted, allowing for better lymph flow.

In addition, after the breathing exercise, place your hands lightly on your upper thigh, at the crease in your groin and lightly stroke upwards towards your naval. Be patient because it can take the body time to respond.

Have a great week!
 
I am now almost 6 weeks post-op. I do use Tylenol periodically for incision pain. I am able to walk back& forth up to 100x in my hallway. My husband tells me not to overdo it as later in the day, I'm only able to do 10 or 20x. I am trying to remember to split it up over the day. I still do the bed exercises. I was discharged from home physical therapy almost 3 weeks ago. I still can't put my socks/shoes on without the Sock-assist device and the Grabber tool I used pre-op. My husband needs to dry my lower legs/feet for me after showers. I wonder when I'll be able to do these things on my own. My next follow-up appt is 2 weeks from now with my surgeon. He doesn't order outpatient physical therapy unless needed per 8-week evaluation. He says just keep walking & strengthening bed exercises. I am kinda bored with the routine, & am craving what else can I do? I have been told no back extension of my legs & no bending my knee up high. Anyone else with same recommendations? I had bilateral simultaneous anterior approach hip replacement. Also, I was told sleep on back 6 wks...can't stand it anymore! I'm a side sleeper. My surgeon & PA in office said to try side sleeping with pillow between legs/knees. I tried it last night...kinda sore. My thighs are still rock hard. Overall, I'm happy I can walk, but I'm getting impatient with recovery.
 
@Shoppingdiane03 IF your hips were deteriorating over several years and were really bad before the surgery you may indeed need PT for movements other than walking and climbing stairs. I know I did! It took me about 3 months of PT (which did not start until about 2 months after surgery) to get left foot onto right knee and nearly 7 months to get right foot onto left knee.

Ah yes the impatience, boredom, and frustration of not getting back to "normal" faster. I've been there and remember that!!! Put this into perspective -- it took a long time to get to the point you needed this surgery - years in fact. It's been just 6 weeks since your surgery. It is going to take more time to get all your muscles and tendons back to functioning properly after years of getting used in ways they were not supposed to be used. Prior to this surgery your "normal" was daily pain and dysfunction, reduced activities, and other problems associated with having "bad" hips. Now you are working toward a new much better "normal". You will get there :yes:

As for sleeping ... sigh yes the first times trying to sleep on your side can be uncomfortable - the "sleeping on a brick" sensation does go away but it can take a while. Seems that there is some internal swelling that takes more time than the "log leg" sensation to go away.

Hang in there -- it really will get better. :friends:
 
@Shoppingdiane03 I’m 11 weeks post op, after bilateral posterior THR. I’ve generally been able to put socks on without the sock helper thing in the past week, but I can’t do it every day. I’m just happy to be making progress.
I used a hairdryer on my lower legs and feet for drying after showers for a couple of months so maybe that would give you a bit more independence in that task. I’m sure it was suggested in my hospital leaflet.
I started side sleeping about 2 weeks ago. It’s still not that great on my left side but again, glad of the change after 8 weeks of back sleeping.
I’ve found there’s been a big change generally in the last 2 or 3 weeks. I’m sure I saw somewhere on here that there was a graph of single v bilateral recovery. The bilateral graph showed slight improvement in the first 6-8 weeks then rising much more quickly in the weeks after. I found that reflected in my recovery but we’re all different. It might take time but you’re making great progress and you will get there! It’s so hard to be a patient patient :)
 
The graph attached below was what I was trying to describe
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Hip Hip Hooray!
    IMG_2710.jpeg
    57.6 KB · Views: 49
Thank you! I like the hair dryer idea! I guess I'm impatient because I'm able to walk now...I want everything back. I'm also thinking that I have my 8 week follow- up in 2 weeks...then I'm supposed to be back to work at 12 weeks with no limitations..kinda worried about that...if I'll make that goal. I did find a few exercises online by 'Bob & Brad' for post-op up to 12 months...I will try a few of those. Thanks again for the positive & encouraging thoughts!
.
 
I have also been wondering if there's anything else I can do with the 'brick' hard thighs. I think it's edema. I see that edema management is an area coming soon on the website. I still elevate my legs on a wedge pillow nightly...sleep on back..walking, bed exercises. I don't ice anymore. If I rest during the day, I lay on couch with my legs on a bean bag pillow. The elevation is not as high as the wedge pillow at night. I feel the brick/hardness to my thighs increasing over the course of the day. If I sit too long, it I creases, along with stiffness. I wonder if there's anything more to speed up the edema issue. It makes me feel heavier, too.
 
I’m going back to work this week - 12 weeks post op. At 6-8 weeks I wouldn’t have believed I would be ready by the 12 week point so you may surprise yourself. However I’m fortunate that I can do a gradual return, increasing my hours week by week.
All the best. I hope the swelling eases for you
 
If you want to promote de-swelling it's essential you're elevating "toes above nose" - really elevating that whole leg, toes above knees, knees above both hips and heart!!! - 45 minutes at a time several times daily in addition to at night. It's the single best self-care you can do.

Layla passed along a good suggestion in post number 30 above about lymphatic drainage and doing it yourself. You might find out if in your community there's a health care or massage professional specifically certified in lymphatic drainage.
 
I ordered the big blue pillow from the website recommended here on bonesmart. I elevate my feet/legs a couple of times per day, and it really does help with the swelling. Toes above nose for sure. Plus this pillow relieves any pressure points due to its unique shape. Highly recommended.
 
Happy Two Month Anniversary!
Hopefully the swelling and its easing a bit. :fingersx:
Wishing you a great weekend!
@Shoppingdiane03
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom