THR Hi! Mood and exercise question

Status
Not open for further replies.
i am working on not walking like a penguin, time for sit ups to strength the core. i spend a lot of time hoping the left hip which had no hip socket at birth holds strong even though it looks bizarre on picture. I am in no rush to do this again! I have heard of feldenkrais - alignment based? Are you know able to do the activities you want now? Regards,

Hi Mara,

The penguin waddle will fade away more as your glute muscles heal and get stronger. You may have had some atrophy in them from the leg length difference and pelvic tilt, plus the surgery seems to take a toll on the g. medius muscle. I'm sure your PT person has you doing exercises for it.

Did you have surgery as a baby as well? It is amazing how our bodies adapt to the deformity. I have found that the adaptation to the surgery and those changes has not been quite as easy or pain-free!! I can do the activities that I did before the surgery for the most part, but I'd hoped for a whole lot more and a whole lot less pain.

You sound to be on a much better path though at 7 weeks I still needed the cane and was not yet ready for PT. If you were doing cardio exercise before the surgery I'm sure you'll get back to it.

Take care,
Cardie
 
C Mac cardie, I did have surgery as an infant on the dislocated hip. What they did I have no clue. I wore a brace that kept me legs at 180 * for months, needed a twin carriage:). I see your surgery was anterior as well. Ave you gotten strength in your hip flexor a back? I am so sorry the surgery did not alleviate your pain as much as you'd hoped. Is the pain in your new hip? I am going to read your thread. I started PT at 3 weeks after surgery and mostly ditched the cane at six weeks. I am we'll out of shape since the arthritis had me down to no exercise for a long while before surgery.
Mara
 
Spoke to my OS PA today - I have no restrictions on swim strokes or stretching, only what feels right for my body. I am excited to try swimming and some more stretches. Fingers crossed!
 
Thank you Nancy! :dancy: I know it doesn't mean it will go fabulously but I get to try which is exciting.
 
YogaGirl It has been my experience, that I never left the pool without feeling better than when I went in. It's something about the water and the buoyancy that left me feeling better. I hope you love it :thumb:
Please let me know how it goes.

Nancy
 
YogaGirl nmay51 Our council-run leisure centre has a hydrotherapy pool which has open sessions on Monday and Friday - it's brilliant and as I am over 60 it is free, there are some perks! I run through a series of exercises set by a PT, including "just" walking through the water - hard work in a chest-high pool. The only limit I have on swimming is no frogkick, but that is more for a wonky knee than the hip!
I start back at yoga next week, it is advertised as a "gentle Yoga" class but those of us who go call it "Yoga for the infirm and feeble"! We all have something amiss, knees, shoulders, hips, wrists, etc. and Marie the tutor is very good at adapting poses for our abilities (disabilities!) and very firm on "stop if it hurts".
Will let you know how I get on!
Anne
 
Lol Nannyannie that description was hilarious! I specifically asked about frog kick as breast stroke is the most comfortable. No restriction woo hoo. nmay51 I am excited to try and will definitely post net week. I managed to swing my leg over the bike yesterday -- I was standing on books to help make it possible :sigh: :spin:
 
Nannyannie That sounds right up our alley!!! My gym has numerous water exercise classes. I attended the aquachi class pre op and it helped me immensly. I haven't made it back there yet. It's warm outside now, and I go in my pool and do my own thing. As the weather, and more importantly water cools off, I'll find myself back at the gym pool. My theory behind the Bikram Yoga, is the owner/instructor has had both hips replaced since April and she's very knowledgeable with the rehab part of things. The heat warms up my muscles and helps me stretch and the heat also sweats the garbage out of me... literally :blush: .. I'm so glad that you have something convenient and useful for your rehab. I wish everyone did.

Happy stretching!!!

Nancy
 
YogaGirl Books???!!! Now that has to be a first! :heehee: That's exactly something I would do :blush:, Just be careful. BTW, how do you feel today?

Good going!
Nancy
 
Morning Nancy! nmay51 books funny enough was my ten year old idea she used them to get on my bike. I thought hey why not!, thankfully my balance is pretty good so the books stayed stable. Yesterday's adventure was going in the attic which I realize not the smartest move but it worked out ok. I seem happier now that I am doing regular things. I am stiff first thing in the morning and my back can ache but I think I am doing well. I will try the swimming next week and maybe some yoga stuff at home. I stopped doing the pt exercises at home, I seem to feel better doing it less. How are you doing?.. Jealous of the hot sweat!,,
 
YogaGirl Well, I guess if it's safe for a 10 year old, then it must be safe for a grown up, right??:yes: You have quite a smart daughter!!! Can I borrow her for a bit? :heehee: I hope your attic doesn't have pull down stairs... please don't tell me, I don't think I want to know. :whistle: Getting back to normal things is amazing. I'm so glad for you. Just don't go doing anything crazy...

I missed my yoga yesterday and today. I won't be going Friday or Saturday either. Work has been busy and very time consuming. My problem is that I'll sit in front of the computer or on the phone, and forget to get up regularly and move. I get stiff and it's tough to get going. Tomorrow, I'll set my timer on my phone and it will remind me to walk around for a few minutes regularly. Work will slow down after this weekend, and I'll get back to putting me first.

Have a great night,
Nancy
 
nmay51 lol :angel: my sweet pea is something! Smart as a whip, pretty as a picture and kind. :) blessed with her and her brother who is as spectacular (not that I am biased of course) yup, pull down stairs :hairpulling: my husband did that when I told him. Today......drum roll, I wore BOOTS. Not sneakers, real footwear. Nothing high but I was so excited. Will do sneakers tomorrow. I am not bucking for a set back. I too get very stiff after sitting. Setting the phone alarm is smart! Life does tend to get in the way of exercise :(. You sound in good spirits nancy, happy almost Friday!
 
YogaGirl, you're kids sound amazing, whether you're biased or not. :) You're lucky that's the only reaction you got from your husband after tackling the attic stairs. I'm sure he also said something like "don't do it again"...

I am so excited that you got into boots :yay: I know the feeling. I'm back in flip flops again, and out of yoga pants and shorts. This past week I started wearing pants with a zipper. I feel so good about that. :SUNsmile:

Enjoy your weekend!!

Nancy
 
Oh Nancy I wish I had more pants with zippers that fit!! Next stop the shut your mouth and cut calories express :hissy:
The kids are terrific and the best blessing. Survived twelve hours in the car and will test out swimming tomorrow. Walked a little on the beach but it was tiring on my quad. Probably the extra stability strain from the sand. More tomorrow. Keep up the good work!! Mara
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom