Guest viewing is limited

Revision TKR Here I go again - Round three

Had my pre-op exam last Friday and it went well. As of today I am less than a week away from surgery. I am no where near ready. Ready as far as I have some outside yard work that has to be done - hopefully will get that done today. I have inside house cleaning that has to be done. I need to get my shower converted to a handheld shower head. Still have one more shopping trip to make for food. Need to dig out my old polar ice machine and test it to see if it works. Kind of bummed that the hospital I’m going to be at doesn’t use those anymore. Just ice packs. Unless there are extra ice packs doesn’t seem very efficient. And then I need to finish setting up my house - remove rugs, install shower chair etc.

I’ve been having a lot of muscle cramps in my calf and feet (of the surgical leg) - mainly evening and throughout the night. So I’m a bit concerned that’s going to keep happening during recovery. I don’t feel I’m physically ready - I’ve had no time to do exercises to strengthen my leg or to build stamina. I don’t feel I’m ready mentally/emotionally. I’ve been through this twice having both knees replaced. So I know what to expect and it’s a tough journey.

Looking back at my journal from those surgeries I really struggled with major constipation and nausea the first month from the meds. Coming out of the surgery I battled vomiting the entire first day. In the recovery room (for my second TKA) my pain was a 10+. Definitely wasn’t expecting that! So many different things this time.

New surgeon, new hospital (90 miles from home). Even the thought of the long drive back home makes me anxious. Will I be able to get myself up and settled in the backseat of my friends SUV (I’m on the heavier side so could be a challenge). I'm worried about vomiting. Who likes to subject their friend to that!

Getting my haircut the other day and ran into a PT friend. He said revisions tend to be easier than totals. So I’m hoping that’s the case for me. I just have a lot to do in the next 6 days. I have some fear and lots of anxiety I live alone with no family nearby, so I have to rely on friends. And I’m a tough one for asking for help. But I find that this entire journey is a huge emotional and sometimes lonely journey. You’d think with this being my third time it would be a piece of cake. I know it will be worth it.

Just have to get through this week with the mountain of tasks and through that first month which I think is the hardest. Nothing like going into surgery exhausted. I was hoping to get a massage in before surgery but I think my window of opportunity has closed for that. I needed a place where I can just vent my feelings.thankful for this forum. Gotta scoot - gotta get outside and tackle the yard. Thanks for listening.
 
Hello midwest girl,
Are you able to hire anyone to help you get things under better control, so you're less anxious? Or ask a friend? If it's in the budget, maybe a neighbor kid will be willing to help or a local church can share some resources / referrals with you.

Try not to project what your recovery may be like, because you have no idea. If you are dealing with muscle cramps, there is Magnesium to try, and if unbearable, your surgeon will be able to offer you something. Don't worry about pre-op exercises, many do fine without them. Take pressure off of yourself where you're able. Most of us had the pre-op anxiety so its understandable, keep yourself busy with all you need to accomplish before surgery and try to focus instead on how great you'll be feeling by the holidays, rather than dwell on surgery or early recovery.

Many people drive a distance home post op. You can do it with a stop right in the middle to get out to stretch and walk a bit. Bring a cooler with some ice packs and some pillows so you're able to get as comfortable as possible.
Why do you think you'll vomit? Do you get car sick? If so...
  • Get plenty of air. Use the air conditioner or roll down the window in a car.
  • Look out the window at the horizon. Look at a distant object.
  • Lie down when you feel sick.
  • Drink lots of water.
  • Sit in the front seat rather than the back if that helps.

Something that works well for accessing the car and allowing you to rotate to face the windshield is a large trash bag on the seat. Removes friction allowing you to easily swivel into place.

Best wishes for your comfort and peace of mind as you navigate these next few days. We're here for you always!

@midwest girl
 
@midwest girl I was nauseous my whole first day in the hospital and they gave me some anti-nausea pills. They worked like a charm. Your plate is so full! In the end, whatever doesn't get done just doesn't. I also did this alone and touchless grocery shopping was a lifesaver. I ordered groceries online and my neighbor picked them up. Be kind to yourself. I lived on comfort food for a bit...jello and Cherrios and mashed potatoes. You have a gigantic community to help you. You'll make it!
 
Get everything on hand before your surgery to combat the constipation whether that be specific foods or medication. That also goes for the nausea. I agree with @Tentcamper about the anti-nausea medications that could be sent with you from the hospital. Have a couple or so smaller trash bags stashed in case you ca n't get the nausea under control. Have the necessary tools ready and you won't have to be anxious and, perhaps, not even need them!
Blessings for a smooth surgery and a good start to your healing journey.
 
I agree with everyone - anti-nausea medication! I ask for it before and after the procedure. There is no need to suffer through. Staff want you as comfortable as possible.

And you might ask to change your pain medication if it is causing nausea. There are lots of options!
 
@Layla , @Tentcamper @Hip4life @Jaycey thank you all for the info and encouragement. I resigned myself yesterday to the fact that if I don’t get my to-do list done, that’s the way it will be. From the list I’ll prioritize the things that have to be done. As far as the nausea, I am going to ask for a motion sickness patch before surgery. And i already have anti-nausea meds that my PCP gave me last week. I don’t normally get car sickness. And Im anticipating the nausea post surgery because it happened with both TKAs. Every other surgery I’ve had, and there has been a lot, I’ve never been nauseous/vomiting in recovery except for the two TKA. I belief it’s due to the stronger pain meds. And I will let the anesthesiologist know. They always have given me anti-nausea before surgery. And they always try different pain meds for me to try. during my hospital stay for the second TKA we ended up using a Tylenol and tramadol regime with an occasional hydrocodone (mainly at bedtime). And that seemed to be ok. My body just cannot tolerate much more than that, nausea and constipation-wise. As far as the constipation, my first TKA was miserable. I was approaching day 14 with no movement. And we tried everything. So for the second TKA, my PCP planned ahead and did preventative treatment pre-surgery and post. That didn’t work either. I know you shouldn’t project, and that every surgery is different, but having gone through it twice with the same experience, I can’t help but think I’ll run into these issues again. I know things have changed since my last TKA in 2015 - different meds, protocols, Walmart grocery pick-up!, and I know every surgery is different. I’m really hoping and praying this one will be different and relatively uneventful. It helps having gone through it before, but there’s always a wrench thrown in there somewhere. Thanks again for responding. Means a lot to me. ❤️
 
@Tentcamper yeah that didn’t work either . But believe me, I’m using it all again this time. The constipation was far worse than the knee pain. I hope to never experience that again
 
I am amazed at the broad range of challenges we all have. I'm sure you've tried prebiotics/probiotics. I am sorry !
 
Hi, my breast cancer friends take magnesium citrate to help with the side effects of medication induced constipation. I take magnesium oxide which helps with my medicine side effect of leg spasms and has a milder effect on constipation. Magnesium glycinate is easier on the stomach and does not help constipation but makes you feel relaxed. I followed my hysterectomy protocol for constipation. Remember Miralax takes a couple of days to kick in and work, so you have to take a combo for the first few days. The Celebrex made me nauseous. Ginger ale and saltines helped. Stay hydrated the narcotics make you feel so dry. Best of luck to you!
 
@Flashlight take a combo of what the first few days? I’m going to start with a daily dose of miralax starting Wednesday. my dr said I could do that twice a day for awhile unless I find it’s too much. Just don’t remember if he said to start twice a day before or after surgery
 
Last edited:

@midwest girl​

Yes, I took it twice a day in coffee along with the Colace and senna. When it started to work, I was able to eliminate the senna and colace. I was on dilaudid for the first 6-weeks gradually being able to taper. The oxy made me feel so off and this worked for me with tylenol. When I was off the aspirin I started ibuprofen. I'm not sure if I would take it twice a day prior to surgery it might be too much.
 
@Flashlight my plan is once a day starting tomorrow and then post surgery 2x/day until I’m regular. I also drink prune juice. Last time my pain management at home was only Tylenol + tramadol, and I would use a hydrocodone at bedtime. And if I woke up feeling nauseous backed off on the hydrocodone for a few days. And I iced my knee a lot. Anytime I was sitting I was elevating the knee and icing it. Icing is a good pain management for me. Did I get completely pain free with just the Tylenol and tramadol? No. But it was at a tolerable level. And this was all just to manage constipation/nausea.
 
@midwest girl sounds like a good plan. I only had nausea while taking the celebrex and oxy so once that stopped and I got it out of my system I was fine. Nausea is the worst. I'm one of those people that get car/boat sick. I understand. I didn't have any issues with constipation and hope it goes well for you too. I iced all the time too and it was a great help. Will be thinking of you on the 14th !
 
Best Wishes tomorrow, midwest girl!
You'll be in our thoughts and we'll be watching for you on the bright side. :SUNsmile:
Please join us there once you're resting comfortably back home.
:wave:Hope to see you soon! @midwest girl
 
Back
Top Bottom