Guest viewing is limited

TKR Hemarthrosis After Total Knee Replacement

Thanks everyone for your replies. I have tried several times to communicate to the surgeon who did my knee replacement about what has been going on. I feel like he isn’t taking me seriously. After seeing him twice, sending multiple messages and following his recommendation to rest and ice which hasn’t helped, I stopped communicating with him. I tried to get some help from another knee replacement team who are under the same UNC system. I saw their PA and he wanted me to go back to my original surgeon. He did agree to order an MRI but I think I need an MRI angiography which looks at the blood vessels. The PA wasn’t familiar with Hemarthrosis (bleeding into the joint) which I think I have. My question is do I go back to my original surgeon or leave the UNC system and get a different knee orthopedic specialist. I know that decision is up to me but I would like to hear your opinions. Perhaps some of you have faced similar dilemmas.
 
It depends on your insurance coverage and your financial situation. If your insurance allows out of network consultations and you can afford to pay an additional copay expenses, I believe that is the better option. You’ll get new eyes on your knee and hopefully someone who will explore options for treatment. If that is difficult and you choose to go back to your surgeon, you’ll need to be firm with him and insist that he either help you find out what is going on or recommend someone within your network who can help. Be honest and tell him you don’t feel he is paying attention to your concerns. Do not allow them to push you off to a PA either. It’s difficult to believe the one you saw was not familiar with the possibility of bleeding within the joint. That’s just unacceptable.

Can you tell me how long you’ve been off Eliquis? And are you on any other medication that can thin the blood?
 
Can you tell me how long you’ve been off Eliquis? And are you on any other medication that can thin the blood?
Agree with @Jamie it would be good to double check all your medication and make sure there is nothing that could be contributing to a bleeding risk. There are a lot of common drugs ( like SSRI antidepressants) that increase bleeding risk post op and even doctors are not always aware of all of them, if they are outside their specialty.
 
It depends on your insurance coverage and your financial situation. If your insurance allows out of network consultations and you can afford to pay an additional copay expenses, I believe that is the better option. You’ll get new eyes on your knee and hopefully someone who will explore options for treatment. If that is difficult and you choose to go back to your surgeon, you’ll need to be firm with him and insist that he either help you find out what is going on or recommend someone within your network who can help. Be honest and tell him you don’t feel he is paying attention to your concerns. Do not allow them to push you off to a PA either. It’s difficult to believe the one you saw was not familiar with the possibility of bleeding within the joint. That’s just unacceptable.

Can you tell me how long you’ve been off Eliquis? And are you on any other medication that can thin the blood?
I have been off Eliquis since early January. I will look carefully at my meds but I don’t think so. I take a daily baby aspirin but I doubt that would be the problem.
 
I would check with your doctor. Even low dose aspirin may increase bleeding risk in some people.
 
EalingGran is right. Many surgeons actually use a baby aspirin as the preventive medication post op for blood clots instead of something like Eliquis. So, it quite possibly could be having an effect on you. Give either your surgeon or your GP a call to see if you could stop it for a while to determine if that's the problem.
 
Hello everyone, I've been away for a while. I have been diagnosed with hemarthrosis (bleeding into the knee joint) after TKR. It's a rare complication and I'm wondering if anyone here has ever had that happen to them. I'm hoping to hear from people who did go through that but recovered and hear how. I know because it's so rare I will be lucky to hear from anyone but please respond if you have some experience with this. Thank you!
 
Hello and welcome back, Shires. I am sorry it’s under the circumstances.
Your thread title has been edited to reflect your current concern, so possibly someone will stop by that is familiar with this condition.

I did quickly educate myself, since I was unfamiliar, through an article published by the Cleveland Clinic, if interested in reading yourself. Possibly you’ve read enough and you’re only looking for someone that has experienced the same. I am sorry you have to endure this and hope your medical team can find the cause, if they haven’t already and successfully treat it. Please stay in touch and know that we’re here for support always.
@Shires
 
You can try putting haemarthrosis into the search box in the top of this page.
It will bring up other sufferers- but because it is pretty rare, these may be old posts.
Sorry for your problem and I hope you get a resolution.
 
May I suggest ChatGPT? That is my go to start for any medical questions I might have.

You won’t have to go through the rabbit hole of Google or other search engines. It get straight to the point.
 
May I suggest ChatGPT? That is my go to start for any medical questions I might have.

You won’t have to go through the rabbit hole of Google or other search engines. It get straight to the point.
I do NOT recommend doing this. There have been many cautionary articles citing ChatGPT proferring gross misinformation simply because it's out there.
If the standard browser search terms include NIH or PubMed, it will go there and find appropriate research. Mayo Clinic and major university websites are also good.
 

Members online

Back
Top Bottom