MUA Hello and a huge thank you<<

hopalong61, I hesitate to ask you my questions a third time but it does seem to me it would be pertinent. But I'll try and reduce them somewhat.
It's mainly the muscles in my calf and the back of my leg which makes me feel it's my extension which isn't quite there yet. It's also when walking downhill it feels as though it's going to throw me forward!

Show me where this pain is using this chart

[Bonesmart.org] Hello and a huge thank you<<


try really hard to stride and use heel to toe properly but every morning when I wake, it's so painful still.
Perhaps not try so hard to 'heel-toe'

1. what are your pain levels right now?

2. what pain medications have you been prescribed, how much are you taking (in mg please) and how often?

4. what is your ROM - that's flexion (bend) and extension (straightness)

8. What exercises are you doing now?
 
Hi,
Pain is mainly at DRB1 and DRB2 and CRB1 and CRB2, back of my knee basically and sometimes calf.
Pain is 3-4
Just taking Paracetamol every 5 hours. Been given Ibuprofen and Naproxen to try but can't take either even with Lansoprazole as they make me feel ill. Best thing is Diclofenac but obviously cant take this anymore ! This takes the pain away.
ROM is approx 110 extension is about -5
Just walking mainly, have recently started to do the leg off the end of the bed thing to try to stretch the back of my knee, works for a while.
When sitting i can left my other leg up straight. My operated leg lifts but is not straight, there seems to be something above my knee which stops it ?
Thanks x
 
Do you mean like this?

[Bonesmart.org] Hello and a huge thank you<<


Just taking Paracetamol every 5 hours.
You never answered the question - I asked "how much are you taking (in mg please)"
ROM is approx 110 extension is about -5
That's very good for your sitation
Just walking mainly, have recently started to do the leg off the end of the bed thing to try to stretch the back of my knee, works for a while.
No don't do those. You don't need any exercises right now. None at all!
When sitting I can left my other leg up straight. My operated leg lifts but is not straight, there seems to be something above my knee which stops it ?
It will be swelling which is caused by your doing those exercises.
 
@Josephine Thanks x Yes the pain is as per your diagram. I'm a bit slack with the pain relief really. I take them when I remember which is when I feel the pain again! I need to start taking them regularly I suppose. I take 2 x 500mg of paracetamol each time. I just wanted reassurance that I was where I was supposed to be. Your replies have given me that reassurance. I know I'm really only 6 months in to my recovery, it just seems like sooooo much longer :)
 
I need to start taking them regularly I suppose. I take 2 x 500mg of paracetamol each time
Yes, you should! Remember that most drugs are only effective in your system for about 4-5 hours so if you only take a dose twice a day, then you're going several hours without any cover at all. I suggest you take a look at this chart which was in this article Pain management: importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart in the second post of this thread, remember?

[Bonesmart.org] Hello and a huge thank you<<
 
@Clairebear It was amazing ! I did it with my daughter, before my TKR ! We were back there again this year but gave the Paragliding a miss ! I'd love to do it again though.
 
Hello peeps !
Not been on the Forum for a while as nothing much to report really. ROM is still gradually increasing as is my extension. I still pop in to read posts though. I'm back on today as I asked to be referred again for Physio due to the muscular tension I have above my knee and in the back of my calf. I've gone back through the NHS as I feel they have been better for me than using the private Physio I received after my TKR and MUA.

I was sent an app after my appointment called Physiapp which shows how to complete the exercises and for how long etc. It's been great and i'm starting to feel the benefit from them.

The Physio said that my TKR was one of the best she has seen at this stage in my recovery and she also said that 2 years recovery time isn't unusual. She really put my mind at rest as, like a lot of people on the Forum, I was starting to worry that there was something wrong as I still have pain and stiffness, 12 months after the surgery. My MUA was in March 18 so still a while to go until 1 reach the 12 month stage really.

She reinforced the great advice on here and said that all I need to do is carry on doing what i'm doing. The stretching exercises have made a huge difference.

I have an appointment next week for X Rays on both knees (i'm going to put off having my other one done for another few months I think) it's the follow up from my TKR and MUA. Hope the consultant is as pleased as the Physio was ! I'll report back later :)

Hope everyone is progressing well and not feeling too fed up xx
 
Hi @hopalong61 glad to hear you are making progress. I just popped back on after a few months of not much happpening as well. Recovery is still slow for me. I'm working on the theory that if I don't think about my knee it will miraculously get better.
I like your idea of having physio for the muscle tension. Hadn't thought of that. I would be eligible for a few visits now. Not keen on going back to my original physio but could go up to the hospital and see what they can do for me.
I also have a referral for X-rays on both knees and like you not keen on getting the other knee done yet.
 
Hi @Relle it's nice to hear from you.

I think I can feel a difference after doing my physio, the ones that seem to make a difference are the stretching ones, for my thigh and calf muscles. The physio said my thigh muscle was shortened, probably due to the way I've walked since my TKR ! She advised doing the stretching ones every other day and the strengthening ones every day, it's quite easy to fit them into my day. I think it might be worth your while to see the Physio again, i'm really glad I asked to be referred again, I seemed to spend a lot of time worrying something was wrong !

My X Rays are tomorrow but I think i'll be given another appointment to see my Consultant so i'll report back when I have any news. Good luck with you X Rays too x
 
Hi @hopalong61 glad to hear the physio worked. I will give it a go. I have been a bit slack and not paying attention to the way I walk. My choice of shoe probably leaves a lot to be desired also. In my defence it's been really hot down here.
Nice to catch up again. Have a great day.
 
Thanks @Relle
X Rays taken today, consultant appointment next Thursday. The Physio wants to see my X Rays too so i'll be seeing her in two weeks too, i'll let you know how it goes.
Been out with friends tonight for a meal, just got home, flippin freezing here :) 2 degrees at the moment so will be below freezing later I think.
Don't know if you can get FitFlop shoes but I love them, I live in their flip flops in the summer and i'm currently wearing their ankle boots, they're so comfortable.
 
Well, been to see my Consultant today. Nothing shocking to report, my TKR is fine, everything where it should be, he said to keep on with the Physio and to keep active to help with the muscle pain I still have.

He said my other knee is now bone on bone and asked me when I wanted him to replace it ! I knew this, as X Rays I had 2 years ago showed it was deteriorating then. As I had an MUA in March 2018, I've decided that i'm going to wait at least another 6 months before deciding when to have my second TKR. I need to plan it more this time as i'm home alone now my daughter is at University, my Son lives nearby but if I can arrange for my Daughter to be here for the first 2 or 3 weeks, it will be a huge help. I'm gradually coming round to the idea of another TKR but can't say I look forward to it ! The Consultant said that he had only done 2 MUA's last year and he does several TKR's a week, hopefully my second one will behave and it won't be necessary ! He said it's very unusual to need an MUA, just my luck that I needed one !
 
Hi all, need some advice. I'm 16m post MUA and feel as though I need something to help with the discomfort I still have in my knee. It doesn't stop me from daily living etc but is causing problems with my hip and back if I walk or stand too long. I think it's because my extension is still not as good as it could be. I have just had a full body massage whilst on holiday and the masseur commented that my right leg was shorter than my left (right TKR Jan 2018 !) It still doesn't feel right ? Do I go down the massage route or go back to my consultant ? The knee feels "hard" my ROM is pretty good, probably about 115-120 but on a firm surface, extension is still about 5 off 0. The discomfort is mainly above my knee and in the back of my calf just below my knee. Do I accept that this is as good as it gets or go back to see if there's anything else that can be done ? My left knee is also really painful as it needs replacing too but i'm loathe to go down that road at the moment until i'm sure my TKR knee is going to be ok, I also have OA in my right foot which also causes pain on walking so that's not helping either !

Don't want to moan but some days it really gets to me :(
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom