Guest viewing is limited

THR Happy Happy Hippo Recovery October 19

Thanks for the updates.
You're doing great...it's nice to read.
At only six weeks post op, you have a lot of improvement still on its way :happydance:
Keep up the good work and enjoy the weekend!
@KathyB
 
You sound like you are doing just great. Trial and error was also my method of recovery:whistle: so I too was happy for finding BoneSmart.

All temporary. So hang in there.
Hope today is a Good Day.
 
@Mojo333 @Layla Thank you both for your support and for all you do as advisors on BoneSmart.:snow plough:
Layla, are you shoveling snow yet? Mojo333, what is your weather like?
 
Been rainy on the East Coast but as the highs have been in the low 70s and lows in mid 40s, I certainly won't complain.
I don't like cold.
Hope all is still going well with you and that you are being patient with all this recovery business.:bored:

Hope today is a Good Day :SUNsmile:
 
Last edited:
Hi there, I hope you had a nice Christmas.
I just noticed your post in another's thread and I wanted to share a couple things with you, without derailing that thread.

A tip -
Try heel-toe walking when / if you're limping. Let your heel hit the ground first followed by toes.
It takes a concentrated effort but I believe you'll notice a difference. Give it a try.

Also here is the Activity Progression article from the Recovery Guidelines to use as a rough gauge for activity.
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/activity-progression-for-thrs.13187/

Icing and elevating for swelling is great. Keep plugging away, you'll get there.
Wishing you all the best in the New Year!
@KathyB
 
@Layla Yes, I have been concentrating on my gait and have been using heel to toe as outlined here and was shown to me by PT. The biggest problem I have is trying not to rotate my right hip when I walk. I really have to concentrate to make sure my right leg goes straight back. I still have some tightness in the right upper quad and do some self massaging on it throughout the day. It also helps to stretch the quad by bending my right leg at the knee as far back as it is comfortable while standing. Thanks for your feedback and Happy New Year.:yes:
 
Hi Kathy,
I hope you're having a nice weekend so far.
Noticing you're coming up on three months post op this week.
I'll bet you're feeling pretty good! Let us know how PT and your recovery is going if you care to share
Wishing you a great week as you continue healing. :)
@KathyB
 
@Layla Hi, doing pretty good. No PT for me other than some hamstring stretches while laying on the bed and just doing walking and daily activities. Still icing 2-3 times a day, also elevating. The fatigue that was present during the first couple of months has lessened a lot. Saw my OS for third post op visit on 1/11/19, 12 weeks out, had x-ray, everything ok. Restrictions lifted, but no getting down on the floor, doesn't want me touching toes, no twisting, can do modified yoga. I will probably not return to yoga until about 6 months. Will see OS again in a year. I don't have any actual pain, just soreness, still twinges, and as @Mojo333 says, zips and zaps.:heehee: I am
looking forward to getting back to going to estate sales and doing my eBay thing once again.:yes!:
I really enjoy reading everyone's posts, @Barbaraj, @Alitm, @Wayfarer, etc. and appreciate the time that all the moderators and advisors, @Mojo333, @Jaycey, etc. give to this site. Still have a long way to go but I am getting there.
@Layla Thinking of you today and hope you and everyone affected are doing ok with the freeze :snow plough:
We are expecting another much needed round of rain starting tomorrow. Hope everyone is doing well.
 
Hey, @KathyB, glad to read that you find my posts enjoyable, despite a certain "sameness" to them and a wee bit of whining as well. Sounds like you're pushing ahead and doing well. Isn't it nice not to have that dreadful energy drain as prevalent anymore? I felt like such a wet noodle for so many weeks post surgery. Now, it's pretty much gone unless I overdo things. Continuing to ice and elevate, while still getting out and about for your normal round of daily activities sounds like it's working for you. Happy Hump Day!
 
Hi @KathyB Sounds as if you are doing really well. I've realized that yoga is tricky for healing hips, and a lot of modifications are needed! I do tricky cat on my bed, but physio says no cow! I can do forward fold to 90 degrees but don't push further. My back would really like me to do a downward dog, but nope, not yet!! I'm also doing modified child's pose leaning on the kitchen counter.

So glad you are getting your energy back, slowly but surely! You know when you are looking forward to getting back to the estate sales and your "ebay thing" again, things are moving along in the healing department! I wasn't sure my energy was ever coming back after second surgery, but it eventually showed up! Just have to give it time.

Glad you are getting some needed rain in sunny California! Enjoy the rest of your week :-)
 
@Alitm Glad to hear you are able to do some yoga. I will probably wait a few more months. I will definitely be doing modified poses with my Iyenger yoga instructor. I really like the Iyenger method as it is very precise and uses a lot of props and modifications depending on the needs of the students. My instructor had done some work with me for my hip a couple of years prior to my surgery. It initially helped but as my OA progressed I was no longer getting much relief. Hope things have settled a bit for your family and that you will be able to get back to riding your horses once everything is healed. Having something to look forward to, even if it is a ways off, makes recovery a little easier and motivates me to not overdo.:egypdance:
 
Thank you for the kind words..:roseshwr:
This forum was a life line for me through my uncertainty post-op! Those annoyances will continue to lessen...and I think you are wise to give that hip some extra time before introducing some "new moves"
I think it was well into month four before I was convinced "hey, I really think this might work, and these sensations might not be collateral damage of my hip surgery":unsure:
Even the numbness finally completely dissipated well after 6 Months for one leg.
Nice for others to read inspiring updates and to know that recovery Does take some time and Is a process.
Hope you have a great rest of the week!:tada:
 
@Mojo333 It is unbelievable how many different sensations and all the different areas of the body that are affected by the healing process. :thud: Happy rest of the week to you too. Hope you are not in the deep freeze!
 
Hope you are not in the deep freeze!
I am...which is 35F for me in Southeast Georgia:heehee:
It will be back in the 70s next week!
Can't fathom how folks up north handle it...especially with bad or recovering hips. Constant Shivering upsets mine!
It is dangerous cold for some...
 
Hi to all! I wanted to wish everyone a blessed holiday season. I am so very grateful for this site. I continue to improve and cannot remember the last time I had such good balance. My balance does waiver by the end of the day but it is still improving. Muscles continue to strengthen and I am always surprised when a muscle I have not felt working for so long all of a sudden fires up. I ended up getting a corn on my right little toe a few months ago when I started to wear closed shoes more than walking sandals. I had to bite the bullet and purchase new walking shoes and a new pair of walking sandals. Foot wear pattern definitely changed post THR. I still ice once in a while if I do something new or have a very active day. Progress is ongoing and noticeable every six to eight weeks. Thanks to @Layla, @Mojo333, @Jaycey, Josephine and so many other administrators, moderators and advisors on this site who give their time to help others. Wishing everyone a Joyous Holiday Season and a New Year filled with healing and peace.:xmas-snowball-fight-smiley-emoticon:
 
:xmas-snowball-fight-smiley-emoticon: Back at you friend.
I was still icing well into 6 months out if necessary.
Lots of improvement to come.
Here is hoping your new year will be happy and healthy.:friends:
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom