Guest viewing is limited

TKR Hanging in there

What about skin sensitivity? My whole knee area is uncomfortable to touch; I don’t even like the sheets over it. It’s creepy.
Firefly, Has your skin sensitivity improved since January 5? I am close in age to you (77) and had my surgery on 18 December 2020. The skin sensitivity is driving me crazy. I have to pin up my hems over that knee to even get through the day at home and medication makes no difference. The cream and gladwrap helps but is not a solution when I have to go out.
 
The skin sensitivity is much better. My physical therapist said to take a nubby towel/washcloth and rub it where it where is sensitive. You don’t need to rub hard; you just need to make it get used to touch. If you do that several times a day it will get better. At least it worked for me.
 
Well, I seem to have aggravated my knee, and it is not a happy camper right now. Nor am I. I took a walk yesterday, not much further than my usual walk, but now I am in a great deal of discomfort, not only with my knee but my hip. Maybe I am walking crooked or overcompensating in someway. Anyway, I am in a great deal of pain, not taking any meds because I’m going to get my second Covid shot today, and I don’t want to compromise that. I’m still waiting for the day that I will say I’m sure glad I had this surgery, but not there yet. I feel like I have gone backwards four weeks in my recovery. I’m back on the cane with very little ROM. Discouraging.
 
It is very discouraging to go backwards, but that is the nature of this recovery. I had the same issue. Our knees can be quite the drama queens!
 
I am glad to hear that it is normal, but still very discouraging. I sure don’t know what I did yesterday to bring this on.
 
@Firefly7554 I am so sorry you are having such pain today! Perhaps on your walk you were on surface that was not as smooth as your usual route? Or more up/down hill than you've done previously? With new (ish) hips and knees waking on surfaces you haven't done before can cause irritation. Also ( you may have already done this) check the bottoms of your shoes. If you are wearing shoes that you wore frequently before your surgery, they may be worn down at heels and soles in an old limping pattern. And that can interfere now with your gait.

For now, ice and elevate and hopefully this pain with ease up quickly.
 
What causes pain in the hip after a
short walk or being on my feet during the day? The knee seems to be fine, and not particularly painful or swollen (TKR iDecember 15, 2020). It is the hip; is this a gait issue? Will muscle strengthening and time solve the problem or should I start looking into x-rays for the hip?
 
@Firefly7554

You will notice that I merged your newest post with your original recovery thread. For several reasons, we prefer that you only have one recovery thread:
  • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
Please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here. If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we will get it changed for you.

If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.

Many members bookmark their thread in their computer browser, so they can find it when they log on.

Question: Have you replaced your main walking shoes post op? Wearing shoes with a pre-op wearing pattern can cause all kinds of aches and pains.

Or as you indicated this could be due to changes in your gait. Do you have a physio that might be able to give you advise on your gait?
 
What causes pain in the hip after a
short walk or being on my feet during the day? The knee seems to be fine, and not particularly painful or swollen (TKR iDecember 15, 2020). It is the hip; is this a gait issue? Will muscle strengthening and time solve the problem or should I start looking into x-rays for the hip?
@Firefly7554 I'm also having hip pain when I try to walk further (.3-.5 miles). I do think mine is gait related and my left leg may be 1/2 longer now per chiropractor. I'm trying new shoes with new inserts slowly trying to build up. I try to walk outside very upright and use walking sticks to retrain myself (PT suggested). Will give it some time otherwise will get an x-ray later and custom inserts? I had some before and they didn't fit well in my shoes? Plus, Can't deal with more doctors and budget is tight!

I know you are in the UK but I remembered a way to get custom inserts from a computer measurement by Dr Scholl's? I got this before and they work great for me. I'm going to look around and see if available where I live now

 
Back
Top Bottom