THR Had THR 29th November 2012 - Thought It Was Going Too Well

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well done posting the picture - though just for future reference, it would be really helpful if something could be placed within the image frame to give one an idea of the scale - something like a finger tip or a pen or even better, a ruler!

However, I am delighted you are getting appropriate treatment and hopefully it will be quickly dealt with and you will soon be on the mend.

Gosh, casey, I hope the antibiotics turn this around for you very quickly! I am sending you my best wishes and warm vibes!

Casey,

We are all waiting to hear from you and I am praying for you!

Firstly thank you all for your thoughts and good wishes. Finally was discharged from hospital this afternoon (Thursday) I have to take the antibiotics orally for another week before seeing my surgeon again next week. It was confirmed as cellulitis and he did not know why it appeared 5 months after surgery but said it did happen sometimes. It took a couple of days to get the doseage to the point that they were making a difference but then the improvement was fairly rapid. I was having 12 little bags a day not sure of the amount in each bag but seemed a lot to me. I had great treatment and am always grateful and proud of our NHS service in the UK. We may have paid in all our working life but they are there when you need them and I have certainly needed them over the years.

Well, I am so glad that you are on the mend now! You had us worried! :thud:

Same here! Always had it pegged as cellulitis. It should soon be under control now but don't forget, this can easily be responsible for an Energy drain while you're recovering. Really takes the stuffing out of you - I can say that as I have had personal experience! And contrary to popular belief, it will be the infection that causes the drain, not the antibiotics!

Jo is so right about the infection as the cause of the energy drain! It saps every last ounce of stamina you have, and then you end up rebuilding. Infection is an "ornery rascal" and I am glad they have yours under control! :happydance:

So glad you're on the mend. Infection scares the heck out of me, but your doing well is so encouraging.

Back to see my surgeon this afternoon. 2 more antibiotics left to take and it is looking good TG. Will update on my return.

casey, were you on 2000 mg of cephalexin per day? For 10 days? I went to the ER two and a half weeks ago and was diagnosed with possible cellulitis but I had no fever so after they put an IV in me to start the antiobiotics they decided to put me just on oral antibiotics. My rash did spread all the way around to my back. And so painful. I will be following your thread to see how you are doing and what your OS does. I did not have a fever so they just guessed it was cellulitis. How did you get diagnosed. I know you said you had a fever.
Was your diagnosis based on the CRP, sed rate and fever with the rash? My blood was normal and no fever so the ER do wasn't sure.
I still have some pain from it after being off of antibiotics now for exactly one week. Also I can still see the rash. It's not gone completely. Is your rash completely gone?
I got my cellulitis after a cortisone shot.

Hi Barbie I was diagnosed from blood tests, my temp was 102. I had a combination of Iv antibiotics for 5 days in hospital and following discharge 625 mg Augmentin (amoxicillin/clavulanic acid) 4 times a day for 7 days. I have just come back from seeing my OS and he is happy but wants me to take a further 7 days of antibiotics to make sure the infection has gone. It was bright purple at it's worst and quite pimply. It is now hardly there and very pale pink and smooth. I would also say the whole area was so hot you could really have fried an egg or two on it. It now is cool like the rest of me!! I hope you feel better soon and get the right treatment it is quite scary. I am taking Josephine's advice and taking a probiotic to build up my good bacteria.

My skin was not purple but dark pink. Since I had no fever and blood work was negative they are not putting me on more antibiotics. It burned like acid on my skin and stinging pain but not hot to the touch. Deeper, the pain was sharp and deep beyond a ten on a pain scale. It also grew in area and has even felt like it is in my private areas.
Thank you for sharing that with me. I am worried mine is coming back. I first saw the rash and some burning and within three days the pain was beyond description and the area had grown from just my scar to all the way around my body and my entire front and back skin of my hip and thigh.
I am sorry you have been in so much pain and am praying for you as you recover. Thank you again and I will keep watching your thread.
:SUNsmile:

Barbie I am so sorry for your distress. I cannot say my cellulitis was painful, my word would be very sore, bit like bad sun burn. I know we all define pain differently but I did not need any pain relief. Hopefully you will get your problem resolved soon.

Just got back from a lovely 10 days in Spain, nice to get some sun. The hip is doing good, no sign of return of infection. I was surprised that I did not set off the alarm at security at either end, Gatwick and Alicante. I am going to Venice in a coupe of weeks and then intend to return to the gym. Hope all is good with everyone else. I love this Forum

Casey,

It is wonderful to hear you are doing so well! Enjoy traveling my friend! Life is too short to sit on the sidelines and be a spectator! :happydance:

Great news Casey.. So pleased you are starting to have some fun :)

Oh casey,
What a great trip! And it's so encouraging to know you did it so well! Hats off to you!
I am literally following in your footsteps on 20 Aug. 10 days in Spain after the very long haul fro Oz and a couple of days in London. Then over to the UK then Venice for 4 days, Rome for 4 and a cruise from Rome to Singapore via Sorrento,, Santorini, Egypt, Jordan, India, Sri Lanka.
Hope I manage as well as you have. :dancy:

That sounds like a wonderful trip Maeve I hope you enjoy it. I will be off to Florida September 3rd for 3 weeks, rounding off my year nicely. Have a great time so many memories to store up.

Wow Casey, I am so pleased you have another trip planned.. After all you have been through, you so deserve to have lots of fun to catch up.

Good for you, don't forget the photos :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member