THR Had my 2nd hip put in yesterday.

AlbertTatlock

Country
Spain Spain
As it turns out, a very different t experience to the first one. The first one didn’t start hurting until the end of day2. This one was agony about an hour after surgery. This lasted a couple of hours then got some meds and managed to control the pain. And now I have almost no pain at all when I am lying in bed. Even thought they want to keep giving me meds.

The problem I am having is when I am trying to walk with the walker. It hurts a lot to even try to move my operated leg by 1 inch.
I remember last time it was a lot easier to walk .

@AlbertTatlock Welcome to the other side!
Even thought they want to keep giving me meds.
You need the medication to get mobile. Take your medication as prescribed, around the clock. Ask for ice. Icing will also help ease any pain.

Here are your recovery guidelines:

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
We are all different, as are the approaches to this recovery and rehab. The key is, “Find what works for YOU.“ Your doctor(s), physiotherapist(s) and BoneSmart are here to help. But you have the final decision as to what approach you use.

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of this BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy
5. Here is a week-by-week guide for Activity progression for THRs
6. Access these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Congrats on Hip #2, you got this, you had one done and while no two are the same you understand the recovery process that now lies in front of you.
I wish you the very best during your recovery time.

Pain meds, ice, and move regularly. You're tempted to not move when you're hurting but that can make you more stiff and those soft tissues will grumble more. We're not talking about anything major: just get up every so often and walk a bit, to the bathroom, the kitchen, or the next room and back. That'll be plenty for these first days. Best wishes on your continued journey on the healing side.

Congratulations on having your second hip done! Easier said than done, but try to be patient with this recovery. I learned this year that no two recoveries are the same, even if the surgeries are!

Wishing you the best on your journey!

Hi,
I wanted to say hello and welcome. You will get through this. As the Hip Recovery Guidelines say it is temporary. Sending you well wishes for a great recovery. You got this!

Welcome to recovery. Congrats on your new hip!
Best wishes as you begin healing. Stop back often and share the journey with us. We'd love to support you along the way.
@AlbertTatlock

1 week after surgery and recovery is going relatively well. Although I seem to have developed a pinch nerve at the front of my hip which is causing pain when trying to move about.
Does anyone know if this is common or should I be concerned ?

Although I seem to have developed a pinch nerve at the front of my hip which is causing pain when trying to move about.
Was your THR anterior approach? It's pretty common for nerves to fire post surgery. They are waking up and reconnecting. Icing the area may help ease this.

Thanks
I’m not sure the difference - is anterior where you have a scar on the side (like a pocket) ?
If so then that is what I have .

Hi there, at what stage, roughly, am I supposed to be able to stand unaided, and without leaning, only on my operated leg.
I had my first replacement in February and still cannot stand on that one unaided without leaning over massively to compensate for more than a few seconds.
Is there a particular exercise that will help me with this

at what stage, roughly, am I supposed to be able to stand unaided, and without leaning, only on my operated leg.
There is no timeline for any recovery. It's all about regaining strength and confidence. Since you had both surgeries in a short space of time, it may take you a little bit longer to fully heal. Balancing on the op side is a challenge for many. But you have both sides to strengthen. Patience my friend.

I moved your post from the September group thread as that area is for listing group members only. You will get much more input from our members here.

Happy One Month Anniversary, Lefty!
I hope you have a nice weekend as you continue healing.
@AlbertTatlock

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Becky56
Recent bookmarks
Back