THR Got my THR last week. Post Op now

:xmas-wave-smiley-emoticon: Hello and Happy Two Month Anniversary, Hopper!
I hope you have a great week and a very -> :merry-xmas-smiley-emoticon:
@Hopper

Thank you @Layla and for your support throughout.
Eight weeks have gone by!

Have been laid low by a dreadful cold and cough for two weeks. Not covid!
It has stopped me getting out and about so much but I will catch up no problem.
But all is well with my lovely new hip!
I can do more and more general stuff - shoe laces, reaching, walking and changing pace without hesitation whilst walking for really as long as I like. etc etc etc.
Each day gets even better.
Still got the occasional clunk especially when Im going uphill but it's reducing.
I know my quads need some strengthening so will start to work on that.

Happy Christmas :christmas-carols-smiley-emoticon::santa-dance::plugging-in-xmas-tree-smiley-emoticon: to everyone!!!

Glad to see things are going well:ok:
Hope the cold is gone and the 'Clonk' goes out with the old year....
You may find This article from our library helpful.

Keep all slow and steady and you will certainly keep seeing improvement.
:snow::wreath::snow:

Ten weeks out today.
All is very ok.
No pain and side sleeping again is wonderful.
Clonking less - rolling heel/toe has helped that and my gait. Thanks @Layla .
Although I feel my gait isn't perfect yet my family say they cant see me limping at all.
I can walk as far as I fancy each day and Im looking forward to spring and totally regaining my fitness. Hopefully! :running:
I'm driving more comfortably now. I have to say I quite liked being chauffeured - it made a nice change but I was ready to be in charge of my own wheels again.

So - just still healing quietly and soundly - I hope.
Onwards and upwards.

Although I feel my gait isn't perfect yet my family say they cant see me limping at all.

You’re doing awesome! I got a chuckle from the quote above because I had the opposite happen to me a few times. I’d be happily walking along with my shiny new hip and someone I was with would ask “are you limping?” Huh..what?!!! How disappointing!
I discovered early on that I fell back into my sloppy old gait easily enough, especially if tired. So the “heel-toe“ mantra stuck in my mind for quite some time.
You sure have a lot to be happy about and it’s amazing what we accomplish in such a short period of time post op. May it only get better! :SUNsmile:

Trying to strengthen my thigh muscles as I know they're weak on my new hip side. So my walks now include some short but steepish hills and I can tell it's making a difference.
I hobble a bit at night, but mostly I'm walking with improvement each week.
I'm still slower than I used to be but getting a bit faster.
I use my Strava app to record my progress and find it helps.
It's good to look back and see how far I've come.
PS ....Just over three miles walk today - no klunks or clonks or pain - and I am just under a minute and a half away from matching my old time for walking a mile.
I'm very happy with that at this stage!

Last edited:
Great news! Thanks for sharing an update @Hopper
Slow and easy will get you there. Realizing progress is so satisfying.
I wish you all the best in 2022!
:happy-new-year-smiley-emoticon-4:

:happydance:yay!
Glad to read you are doing well!
Onward and upward for 2022!
:SUNsmile:

Twelve weeks out now.
All is fine.
Mostly forgetting about my new hip and just getting on with things.
It's just great to be walking pain free and playing with the grandchildren is good fun now.
Hoping to get back on my bike in the better weather.:bicycle1:

@Hopper Wonderful update! Life with pain free hip is truly a blessing. Thanks for lettingus know you are doing well!

Love your update and so will those following behind you in recovery.
Thanks for stopping by. Please keep in touch and let us know when you get back on that bike. Hopefully soon enough. :thumb: Happy Three Month Anniversary!
@Hopper

Great to see your update @Hopper
New hips rock!:yahoo:

Hoping to get back on my bike in the better weather.:bicycle1:
:) :-) (:No tricks like this fellow for a bit, though...:heehee:

Four months to date….Happy Four Month Anniversary!
I hope you’re doing well since we last heard from you.
May it keep getting better! :walking:
@Hopper

Thanks Layla.
All seems well and I think it's just healing steadily in there.
Getting on with life and my new hip is still good.

Walking is really fine - although I'm still not as fast as I used to be. I still feel unfit as covid hit the family hard just after Christmas and I was unable to do as much walking as I'd have liked to.
The longer days and better weather are coming and that will help.

I do get a bit of back ache now and then when I'm walking - don't know if its my gait, posture or unconnected.
Maybe I'm overthinking it. :spin: Probably just from frequently picking up a chunky grandchild!

Changed our mattress recently to a one of these hybrid things - sprung and foam - it's quite firm. After sleeping on my operated side for a short while my hip becomes uncomfortable. It looks like we might have to change it again as I'm not happy if my hip isn't happy.
Anyone else found this?
Pretty boring post I know:curtsey:

Good to read you’re doing well! Sorry to learn about Covid running through the household. Thankfully you’re all well now.

As far as a backache after walking, I’m wondering if you replaced the shoes you wear most often with new ones? It’s suggested we do so after surgery, not using shoes with the pre-op wear pattern. Something to consider, if you haven’t already.

Hubs and I also tried a popular sleep system a few years back, neither of us liked it and while it was a hassle to disassemble and return, if you’re not comfortable sleeping, it’s definitely not worth keeping. They say we spend 1/3 of our life in bed / sleeping, so It has to be comfortable. Happy mattress hunting! Have a nice week. :)
@Hopper

Hi @Hopper
4 months in and there are lots and lots of improvements to come.
I, too, got a new mattress shortly after my hip replacements (it was needed anyway)
and I was still uncomfortable lying on my sides.
I slept and Iayed on several types and firmness (felt like Goldilocks looking for Just Right) and in hindsight, I can say it was just the sensitivity of my hips more than the beds.
Also, I had some errant leg aches and backaches as my gait improved and things got truly settled.

It was very close to a year out before I could truly feel comfortable all night.

Hopefully, it won't take you that long and having two at once likely made my situation doubly long.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
dkhip1
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom