Guest viewing is limited

Rotator Cuff Repair Full thickness rotator cuff repair

She did a lymphatic drainage massage for the first time to see if it will help with the swelling on the surgical side.
Do let us know how this goes. Sounds like you are doing really well!
 
Wow, Carcon....good news. I hope the massage works.
 
Hi everyone!
Want to share my recent experience. I have an 84 year old brother who lives in Hampton, Va and has several health issues and needs a wheelchair. He hasn’t been to our home in Jacksonville, Fl since our mom passed in 2001. Also, he hasn’t been on an airplane since our sister passed in 1983!
Last Sunday I flew Atlanta to Norfolk. Monday morning he and I flew back to Atlanta. Tuesday we (I) drove Atlanta to Jacksonville. Thursday I drove back to Atlanta. Friday we flew back to Virginia but had to fly into Richmond, which is about 60 miles from Hampton. Took a Lyft to drop him off at home in Hampton and continue to Norfolk airport. I flew back to Atlanta, getting back to my door about 11:00pm.
The funny part about all of this is that my shoulder feels fine! The rest of me feels like...
 
Wow - lots of flying and driving. No fun! Sounds like that shoulder is behaving though. Well done!
 
You certainly put that shoulder to the test. It sounds like it's doing just great. So happy for you!
 
Hi everyone!
Today I am 10 months out from my surgery and I can honestly say I feel pretty darn good! I realized in my last post I didn’t mention that the weekend after that marathon fly/drive, I had to bake a ham for church and help serve dinner to about 75 people. The following Saturday I had a one day event in Florida. Flew down in the morning and back in the afternoon. Logging 13,000 steps in the process! Again the shoulder is none the worse for wear. My strength is improving. I’ve noticed that there’s less discomfort with my normal arm swing when walking. I still have that low grade shoulder aching but it resolves with ice and a few minutes of the percussion massager.
A couple of months ago I didn’t feel nearly this positive about my progress or anything else related to this whole process! I allowed myself a pity party, including crying. So, Wherever you are in your journey don’t forget to be gentle with yourself through the rough patches.
 
Hi everyone!
I hope things are going well for each of you in your recovery journey. I’m still doing pretty good but I’m having a new/different issue for the past week or so. I have this soreness/tenderness along the upper edge of my shoulder blade, down to upper back and sometimes almost to the underarm. Deep breaths or upper back twisting hurts. Trap stretching or sometimes turning my head to the opposite side is painful. Uncomfortable with the area in contact with any surface, even something soft. I’m using the percussion massager a couple of times a day, aspercreme and sometimes a half muscle relaxant at night. That seems to help the most but doesn’t last.
What to do?? Almost afraid to call my surgeon!
 
@Carcon....so sorry I'm just now seeing your post. Can you think of anything you did activity-wise that might have resulted in this new pain? I do think you need to contact your surgeon about what you're experiencing just to be sure there isn't a problem. And, it might be a good idea to stop the percussion massage for a couple of days to see if that makes things any better. If you've irritated some soft tissues, the percussion massage action may be hindering their recovery. Regular manual massage of tissues would be okay if you can do that.
 
I’ve been thinking about that as well. Actually I’m having one of my best days today; a lot less soreness, stretches easier. I’ve decided that I’m having a cumulative attack of Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness (DOMS) going back to mid-June when I decided I wanted my life back! It started with the annual beach vacation (with four grandchildren) and my doing the six hour drive home. Seems like I haven’t looked back since! Had another Florida trip late June, that marathon fly/drive in July , two out of state trips in August, in addition to getting back into church hospitality activities. Next week i’m heading to Toronto and a couple of weeks later to the beach in Florida! Thanks for the tip about the percussion massages. Have a Chiro massage appointment.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi everyone!
As of October 15, I’m one year out from my full thickness rotator cuff repair, subacromial decompression and distal clavicle resection at the tender age of 73. I re-read some of my earlier posts and realize how far I have come! I saw my surgeon for the last time last week. He is very pleased with the outcome and my progress. I’ve accepted that my days of lifting a 25lb case of water are over; Eight-ten pound max. More than that risks re-injury which will mean replacement or a new injury to the other shoulder. Neither is something I want to risk! My greatest fear is of a fall causing injury. I still have frequent tightness/ache but not pain. I call it an “awareness”. I have a different set of exercises to do for the shoulder blade area that seem to help. Except for the lifting my activities are pretty much back to normal. I can even back zip without pain!
So I’ll say again, wherever you are in your journey, be gentle and kind to yourself. It was make those inevitable rough times a little easier.
 
@Carcon What a great update! Congratulations - one year anniversary of your surgery and you are really doing well. I'm certain you will continue to see improvement.

Thanks for stopping by!
 
Back
Top Bottom