Wrist Four Corner Wrist Fusion

Sounds like you might be under medicated. Can you ask your surgeon's office or your family doctor for a tweak of your pain medication?
 
I am seeing the doc this Wednesday and will ask. I hate taking pain meds as they upset my stomach and make me itch.
 
Yes, we all hate taking medication. I can't take any opioids. But there are alternatives that won't give you the side effects. Do be sure and ask!
 
Thought I would update my post. I saw my doc last Thursday (5 weeks post op). He took xrays and said all looked fine. I am unable to make a fist. He told me to stretch the tendons by using the other hand to bend my fingers down. I am doing it, but it is very painful particularly the middle finger. He put me back in another short arm cast with a port for my bone stimulator, which I use 20 minutes each day. I will see him in another 4 weeks to have a look and put a new cast on for another 4 weeks.
 
@rdgallo Thanks for the update!

I am so sorry you are still suffering with this wrist! Easy does it with the stretching - pain means your hand is not ready for that force. Gentle stretches to begin and then build up the stretch gradually.
 
Thanks, Jaycey. My doc was really pushing the fingers down with quite a bit of force. When I got home, I did the same and then decided I would back it off a bit. I cannot see how making my hand hurt like heck can be good for it. I also was prertty much off of pain meds until this. Now I have asked for another script for them.
 
Why is your doc in such a hurry? Force in this case only results in more swelling - causing pain.The slow and steady approach works every time. Those tendons were traumatised!
 
I don't know what the hurry was. I will follow the slow and steady approach as just the little I did yesterday made the hand look bruised and swollen. I also worry about damage to the tendons as these are the tendons right above the plate that was put in.
 
Last edited:
Congrats on the good news!! thank you for keeping us updated!
 
Latest update..I saw my doc on March 14. He took x-rays and said everything looked great. He removed the cast and now has me in a removable wrist splint. I have to wear the wrist splint for an additional 3 months. He ordered a ct scan. I had that and the results show that complete fusion is in process. He told me to limit the use of that hand for another 3 months, continue using the bone stimulator, and come back to see him in 3 months. So, it appears that after 2+ years, I will achieve a fully fused wrist. I still have pain in the knuckle area of my hand and it is still painful wnen I make a fist. He told me that if my pain in the knuckle area does not go away at one year post op, he would have to remove the hardware to eliminate the tendon irritation caused by interference with the hardware. Hopefully things will settle down and I won't need additional surgery. I have attached a photo of my wrist taken right after the cast was removed.
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Four Corner Wrist Fusion
    IMG_3976D.jpeg
    174.8 KB · Views: 159
@rdgallo Thanks for the update. Sounds like you are finally on your way! This has been a long haul for you. Well done for your persistence through all this.
 
What a path you've been on! I hope and pray that the tendon calms down and no more surgery is needed.
Your most recent photo looks better than your previous one. Hang in there and please continue to update. I didn't even know that a four corner fusion was a thing.
 
Wow....your wrist looks fantastic! I hope the pain does settle for you in the coming months. Sometimes it can take a while, so patience is good. I'll be anxious to hear more about how you're progressing. Thanks for posting the photo.
 
Amazing! such great news!!! congrats on this amazing news!! You know I had a small tendon release done after my wrist fusion. It 100% resolved the pain. Keep that in mind once things start to settle down. Congrats again! absolutely thrilled for you!!
 
Update....I have been having issues with the hardware in the wrist/hand and had to wait until one year has passed since fusion surgery in order to address it. A recent CT scan showed complete fusion of the wrist; so, I am having all the hardware removed soon. Hopefully this will resolve the stiffness/pain in the hand and the pain in the elbow. This will be the 4th surgery on this wrist/hand. I will never have the other wrist fused.
 
That’s a great update! I live in Canada, so the weather changes where I am and cold temps really affected me anywhere I had hardware, so I’ve always gotten it removed once I was allowed to(like you at the 1 yr mark minimum). I found not having hardware made a world of a difference, and I’m sure you will to. Just be careful with that wrist while it heals from the hardware being removed, because those holes will need to fill in. I know my complete wrist fusion is doing amazing now(I had. About 20 different surgeries on it before the fusion). The fusion tho heck to get to, was 100% worth it. Not having the hardware will make it a lot better.
 
Thanks for the positive feedback, Polarice. It is appreciated. I will update here after the hardware removal. The hardware is for sure irritating the hand, but I am not sure it is the cause of all the elbow pain. I think the elbow pain is the result of not being able to bend my wrist. Therefore, I use my shoulder and elbow differently than before, which is causing the irritation. We will see how it goes after the surgery.
 
Last edited:
Reading all your comments has been very helpful.

I had a schaphoidectomy and 4 corner fusion in Sept of 2024. Unfortunately I am still struggling with daily pain and discomfort. Mostly over the plate and the proximal fingers. I started with 16kg of grip strength and have increased to 30, with my other hand at 56 kg. Range of motion is what I expected however the ongoing pain is not. If I do a weight session at the gym it is usually cut short due to pain, and the following days are quite unpleasant. I'm wondering if I should return to my surgeon for a review but the cost is an issue.
I'm curious if others have a similar story?
 
I see you are talking about range of motion. If you had a complete wrist fusion there should be no range of motion. If pain continues, I would bring up getting a full fusion. A full fusion will completely end any movement in that wrist and give you a pain free life.
I had mine done at 22 yrs old, and it was the best decision I have made. I had had 25 surgeries to that wrist at that point, and nothing was giving me a pain free existence. A complete fusion sounds a lot scarier than it is. You have mobility in your elbow and shoulder to make up for that movement loss. It will not prevent you from doing anything. I have had a successful paramedic and law enforcement career without any issues-I in fact dont give it any thought other than I am now PAIN FREE.
 
Hello Hedonistic,
Thanks for joining BoneSmart today. We're happy you've found some of the comments here helpful.

I am sorry for your ongoing pain. You will need to weigh out whether the daily pain is something you can deal with
over saving the money a further evaluation will cost you.

Just a FYI - rdgallo, who's thread this is, hasn't been on the forum since October 2022, so its doubtful he'll read your post.

I'd like to encourage you to take your experience here to the next level. For an enhanced experience, we'd like to encourage you to join the Insiders Club which allows special perks above the basics, making the most of what BoneSmart has to offer.

As a Basic BoneSmart Member, which you currently are, you have access to core features of the forum, but some areas and functions are reserved for upgraded memberships. For an enriched experience including the ability to start your own threads and engage in discussions with members and staff about your specific concerns we invite you to join the Insiders Club. Upgrading not only unlocks full access to all forum features, but also provides valuable services like assistance with locating a surgeon, helpful downloads, and entry to the BoneSmart Library filled with videos and in depth articles to support you on your joint replacement journey.
If interested, we'd love to have you join us!

Here is a link to check out -> Become an Insider
@Hedonistic1
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom