Guest viewing is limited

PKR Floridoris's Recovery Thread?

First of all he shouldn't have cranked on your leg. I do agree that you don't have to "baby" the knee --but you do need to listen to it.
In my experience it was fine to do a few heel slides a couple of times a day (not to major pain) in between icing and elevating; doing a little walking each day and gradually increasing activity. But I was always paying attention--if something caused me to hurt for more than a little while after doing it, I knew I had done too much.

It sounds like you're progressing well and normally to me. :thumb:
 
Thanks jockette and kneeper. Knee feels okay today, so it doesn't seem to have suffered ill effects from yesterday's ouch at the surgeon's. Touch wood.
I forgot to mention that he said, "You don't need a manipulation..." and having read lots of threads here, I thought, "Of course I don't, why would he even mention that?!"
I was just shocked and disappointed that he said the words, "No pain no gain."
 
Glad to read you've bounced back from being manhandled at the surgeon's.
 
I agree with kneeper, heel slides and walking are all you need. Walking will help with overall ROM. 100 is a great ROM for 2.5 months post op. I did lots of PT work and while it didn’t hurt, it also didn’t help as much as walking.
 
I went on a walk on my street yesterday, or tried to. A neighbor's dog (a 50+ pound Boxer) ran out of their house and jumped on my back. Thankfully, I didn't fall and I saw it coming (the reason I turned around). But that was the end of my walk.

This very thing is why my pt says I can only walk outside if I have someone walk with me.
 
For sure have someone with you if you’re walking outside this early in your recovery.
 
Hello, all! Today is 9 weeks post-surgery. The good, bad, and indifferent:

I'm getting around more - I can go on light errands for 2+ hours and do light yardwork, by which I mean a few minutes of weeding, sweeping, raking. I bend at the waist, as I've been accustomed to doing for so many years, so it isn't quite the feat you may be imagining.

I've dared to take my "ten pounds of terror" for a few short walks around the corner (mid-morning when the odds of her seeing any other dogs are low).

I attempted to drive around my neighborhood this weekend. Unfortunately, it hurt while I did it. It hurt at the incision and behind the knee. At least I know I *could* drive somewhere in an emergency if I absolutely had to, but otherwise it is simply too uncomfortable. That was discouraging.

It is still extremely uncomfortable to lie on my side, so I'm still struggling to sleep on my back. More than the driving, this is the most disheartening part - the fact that even turning onto my side requires a strategy and even when I do it, it is still so uncomfortable. I have a prescription sleep medication, but I don't want to become too reliant on it.

Next week I have an appointment with the medical marijuana doctor, so I'm hopeful that whatever I am prescribed will help with sleep, nerves, pain, anxiety, or anything!

Thanks for listening/reading!
 
It was several months, if not longer, before I was comfortable driving, and I had my left knee done. (Thus why I refer to my knee as the Drama Queen!)

I never got back to side sleeping but became quite happy sleeping on my back. I fall asleep much faster this way then I did on my side, though I have no idea why. :shrug: I do still elevate my legs all night and that helps my lower back feel much better than totally flat.
 
A few days before my surgery, a friend/acquaintance said to me, "Why are you having a partial knee replacement and not a total? Does your doctor really think that's a good idea? Did you get a second opinion?" Sigh.

I had recommendations for everything from stem cell injections (very experimental, long term consequences unknown, insurance won’t cover it) to some new type of low impact surgery which as far as I can tell is just a smaller incision that the surgeon works through. Many people question if the surgeon can place the implants as accurately compared to a regular incision. It seems the robotic surgery I had already leaves a somewhat smaller incision anyway!

Of course the gym rats are convinced that 6 days a week of heavy lifting knee exercises would have fixed everything.




RTKR July 15, 2019
 
@ApricotPie I also had robotic knee surgery. My incision isn't too bad all things considered; not sure if it's because of the robot or because it was a partial.
Before surgery, I seriously looked into stem cell injections. I was very much hoping there would be advancement enough for it to be a viable alternative to surgery. My knee and I just couldn't wait any longer. (Not to mention the fact that most of the providers in my area were actually just chiropractors and not medical doctors and they weren't using actual stem cells.)
 
I had to strategize with pillows for side sleeping for quite a few weeks, but it did improve bit by bit. I hope it will be the same for you. Hang in there.
 
Yesterday I drove to the grocery store by myself! It was much better than my last attempt. One milestone in the books!

Lately the zingers have migrated lower down my leg, closer to my ankle. Is this normal?
 
Hello all! It's been a while! 11 weeks post-op. Unfortunately because of the Hurricane (that thankfully did not hit my area at all, but for which preparations still had to be made), I've been putting a lot of stress on my knee. I had to move pots and plants and patio furniture inside, and then move it all back when the storm had passed. (Plus clean up the yard, pick up branches, and vacuum up the mess the outdoor stuff made indoors.) So for the past few days, I've felt burning all around my knee and plenty of zingers. I know I have only myself to blame. And Dorian, of course!

I haven't been driving much - only twice since the surgery. Getting in and out of the car is still the bane of my existence, whether I am the driver or the passenger.

Prior to the storm, I had been to 2 PT sessions at the new place, and I enjoyed being back on the bicycle and the balance exercises they had me do. During a session, I saw another Knee Replacement vet who saw my scar and said, "I have one of those!" She had hers done in April, and she asked when I had mine done. I said the end of June, and she said, "You're doing so well!" It so often doesn't feel that way, so it's nice to be told that, even by a total stranger.

I went to a Medical Marijuana doctor and got registered with the state (what a convoluted and expensive process!) I haven't gone to purchase any product yet, but as soon as I receive my official card in the mail, I plan on doing just that!
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom