Guest viewing is limited

TKR Flexion concerns

I was under the impression that once I had a new knee it would function exactly like my knee functioned years ago before the arthritis came along. But what I'm hearing now is that a new knee doesn't really change what your rom was right before the surgery, it only gets rid of the bone on bone pain.
I don't know about the "scar tissue" claim, but my OS did tell me that the best predictor of post op ROM is pre-op ROM. I got a few degrees more than I started with in the end but it didn't happen all at once. I would say I continued to gain a couple of degrees over the first year.
I think it is true that pre-op ROM does have some bearing on post-op ROM.

I don't think it's because of scar tissue, but rather because if you have had a limited ROM pre-op, your muscles and tendons will have shortened, as your knee has been in a bent position for a long time.

After the surgery, even though the arthritis has gone from your knee, you are still left with those shortened soft tissues. While it is possible to stretch them again, it's going to take time, patience, and gentle treatment. You just can't rush that, so the usual deadlines that PTs like to apply just aren't relevant.
 
Celle, what you say above makes the most sense of anything I've heard or read so far. I wasn't able to fully bend my knee for years so I can imagine that affected the tendons and muscles. Would you have any suggestion of what kind of treater I should work with that could get those tendons stretched out again?
 
I recently had my 4 week appointment after my RTKR. One of the tings my surgeon suggested was for me to massage the scar with vitamin E oil. He said that would help to break up some of the scar tissue. I assumed it was for aesthetics only. Is it possible that massaging the scar can actually help ROM? I had my other knee replaced about 8 months ago. I have some mild clunking occasionally that had been attributed to scar tissue. How do you massage tissue far within?
 
We did go out to breakfast and while waiting I declined a seat and said why: getting up is the painful thing
One in the other party said they had their knee done three months ago and their ROM was not allowing them to sit comfortably
They would never have another one
Well it seems they go to PT five days a week and the therapist forces the knee. He says the swelling is severe and no one mentioned ever ice and elevate
How criminal!
I gave him the Bone Smart mantra.
Suggested he try it as the other approach is awful
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Roy Gardiner
    Staff member since February, 23, 2013

Members online

Back
Top Bottom