Hip Arthroscopy Flare up

Maybe you could ask if he has a suggestion for medication more specifically to address muscles could help.
I also remember our former nurse director saying that injections can be tricky in targeting the right place...

I am glad you are where folks can help pin down the issue and hopefully provide some comfort.
Good news that imaging didn't show major issues...
Try not to worry.. :console2:
 
@Natka I am so sorry to hear about the pain you are enduring. As Mojo says, muscle strains or spasms can oftentimes take several weeks to release. I used to get severe debilitating muscular spasms in my back - in fact one 3 weeks before our wedding. I actually called my mom to have her ask the church if they had a gurney, I was so convinced I wouldn't be able to walk down the aisle! :yikes: Fortunately, it did release the day before! :cheers2: I know that doesn't help you at all, but I hope the image of me possibly being wheeled in for my wedding gave you a moment of levity!
 
Hi @NightQuilter @Mojo333 Marie weathe thank you for your message.

I have been in a hospital for a few days now, not just in pain, agony really! Only yesterday, my husband found an orthopedic neurological expert though friends and talked to her over the phone and she is almost certain I have a nerve trapped somewhere in the lumber area, hence, agonizing burning pain as the doctors looked at MRI results of both hips and the operated hip looks okay, the other one has labral tears and needs to be sorted, but not before the operated one stable enough and it never caused that much pain before!

I have to beg now the doctors to get this checked, not easy here in the UK!!! I literally need to be almost dying before they do anything. They wanted to discharge me home with just morphine based pain killers every 2-3 hours! No diagnosis, they said just wait, it will be gone. But painkillers are just masking the issue, they are not remedy!!

I must admit it is devastating time for me, lots of pain, inability to be independent and I am about to lose my job over all this ordeal!

The good thing I get a lot of support from the family, friends and from this forum! So thank you so much for all your advice and help!!!

I do hope it will be gone and fine one day.

Thank you
 
Hi @Jamie , @Mojo333 , @lyndsey could I please ask for your advice.

Since I was not really mobile for the last few weeks, no PT, only small walks, I am a bit concerned about scar tissue formation as my surgeon said I need to do exercises or static bike to get the joint moving. Since I can't do it at the moment, is there anything else you could recommend for me to do to help with that. I can do very gentle joint rotation, but unable to do anything else to avoid aggravating it further.

Any advice would be great!

Thank you in advance!
 
@Natka Ask for an MRI of your spine and to see a spinal specialist. The sciatic nerve runs very close to your hip. If it is trapped anywhere it can cause horrid pain. There are medications that will address nerve pain.
I am a bit concerned about scar tissue formation as my surgeon said I need to do exercises or static bike to get the joint moving.
You may get stiff from not moving around as normal but please don't worry about any scar tissue. Right now you need to focus on addressing your spinal issues.
 
Thank you @Jaycey for such a prompt response! Greatly appreciated!
The operated hip is still a bit angry and painful, but I don't really know if it is attributed to the nerve damage.
I am hoping the doctor will let me see a specialist! It is my only hope really!
 
Hello Natka,
Stopped by to wish you a happy two month anniversary only to see you’re struggling with pain. I’m so sorry. :console2: I pray you find answers and relief soon. We’re here for you!
@Natka
 
@Natka
I hope that you are feeling much better!
I have lumbar and SI issues related to herniated/collapsed disks and this flared up after right-sided THR because it lengthened that leg by a half-inch and caused crooked biomechanicsl forces. If they think this is an issue for you and just recommending rest and painkillers, you might want to look into self-traction. For me this involved standing between 2 dining chairs (backs facing me) and supporting my weight on my hands while lifting both legs slightly off the ground. I’m sure a walker would also work if you have one. It takes a bit of practice to get the balance right (and stable chairs!) but when you get things right and relax the muscles of your trunk, spine, and abdomen it really helps to pull apart the lower vertebra and relieve nerve compression. Essentially using the weight of your pelvis and legs to pull the vertebrae apart slightly. I have fairly wimpy hand and upper body strength so I could only hold the position for a minute or so at a time, but it was definitely helpful for me until things settled down again. Just a thought and it may not be relevant for you!

I literally feel your pain on the labral tears and FAI. I have been a lifetime athlete and had this on both sides along with moderate to severe DJD - I was really hoping to have the endoscopic repair you had and postpone THR for 5-10 years, but it was not to be. That surgery wasn’t an option for me because of the arthritis and the fact that the cartilage of my hips and labrum (labra??) was abnormal from mild hip dysplasia that I didn’t even know I had until the first tear occurred at age 47 or 48. The endoscopic repair would never hold properly, apparently.

Big hugs and warm wishes that your pain is now under control, and that you are back on track to recovery and mobility.
 
Last edited:
you might want to look into self-traction. For me this involved standing between 2 dining chairs (backs facing me) and supporting my weight on my hands while lifting both legs slightly off the ground. It takes a bit of practice to get the balance right (and stable chairs!) but when you get things right and relax the right muscles of your trunk, spine, and abdomen it really helps to pull apart the lower vertebra and relieve nerve compression.
I had never heard of this. I am going to try this! Although I can just hear my OS now: “Now, Pat, HOW did you hurt your hip?” :rotfl:
 
Hah! It didn’t hurt my hip even in the immediate post-op period, but if it does it would probably be best to avoid it. :)
As long as it doesn’t hurt your hip, don’t give up on it too soon - it took me multiple tries to achieve the right relaxation of muscles to allow the slight vertebral distraction to occur. My recent left THR has evened up my legs so I’m very grateful this isn’t something I have to contend with on this recovery, but I am curious to see how well it works with my walker so I’ll try it in a few days. I did need some hand padding to make it easier on my palms.
 
I was referring to my graceful (not) self falling like a sack of potatoes. Lol. I have tried it. Yep, I need some palm cushioning but where can I buy the upper body strength to hold myself up?:heehee: Something else I need to work on! I really did like the way it felt for those few seconds. So I will continue this. My stair railings are such that I can do this in a corner where they come together. Don’t freak out, now. There are no stairs on that side of the railings! :ok: Have a great week! ❤️
 
Hi Natka,
It’s four months to date since your procedure. Stopping by to say Hi and see if anything has changed since you last posted. Hopefully you’ve noticed some improvement or were able to get an appointment scheduled. Please know we’re here if you need us and we care.
@Natka
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom