Spine First TKR and now Spinal Fusion

Rodney, thanks for the very positive update and information. This sounds very promising and I’m so happy for you. I hope you’ll continue to report on this as it could be of help to others.
 
@AussieRodney So glad to read your update! Sounds like real progress. Getting that pain relief is a real plus. Well done for being persistent!
 
:yay: on finding relief from the pain with your TENS. And :egypdance:for your persistence!

Keep up the good work!
 
And yet more progress and pictures. The AFO (Ankle Foot Orthosis) arrived on time and was immediately adjusted and worn with pride and shown to anyone who would listen. But first, I had to rig the cables. There are 2 sets of thread (quite a bit stronger than ordinary) which start from the top and stream down to an eyelet near the front of the shoe and back to the BFA (no idea what it means, a bit like a largeish button with a ratchet inside). From there, threads can be tensioned, so that the entire foot gets lifted. Think of it as a built-in crane, which can pull the whole foot up to the horizontal, which it exactly what it does.

Easy, huh? Yes, but first I had to create a hole IN THE SHOE so that the anchor could be fitted from the inside, through that hole, and bolted onto the eyelet. Mildly problematic because shoes are not usually built to have holes and especially not to have ones that go from the inside out. For that, I visited our friendly repair man. It was fortunate that hie daughter was there that day. She could see what I needed, he could not. When I told him for the nth time that I needed the "thing" to go from inside to out, via a hole, he said, "Oh, you need a hole!". Ah yeah, that's what she and I have been telling you. And he proceeded to pull out a honking big hole punch! Remember, he is used to fixing things, not damaging them.

So, with holes and eyelets in place, the rest was easy. Since then, one of the regular shoes had dropped an eyelet and has been replaced with the very comfortable work boots that have had for ages. Click on it for the larger view. The BAO is tucked in behind the Toung of the boot.
IMG_8878.jpg

And here is everything in place. You can see the eyelets at the front.

IMG_8880.jpg

With all this happening, my walking has improved almost out of sight. I can now walk a short distance in a relatively straight line, without any aids

And I finally picked up a job where all I do is drive, which is the one activity I can do without lifting, pushing, pulling, etc. Yay!
 
@AussieRodney That's quite a fancy device - so glad it's working for you. I applaud your flexibility in adapting to all this!
 
I always love your posts showing how you are coping with each of your challenges. This is a device I’ve never seen before, but I can sure see how it would help you with walking. I’m so glad you have some “thinking” professionals on your medical team to introduce you to these devices. Great post!!!
 
Point of order: I found it myself and then showed them.

Further progress. It's a combination of:
- The Orthotic keeping the left foot straight.
- Me doing lots of walking, mostly at work (when I can get some work).
- Using one of those EMS foot massagers to stimulate the nerves.

The result is that I can actually walk. It started out stumbling across the living room to get something, to walking into the doctor's office CARRYING my cane, to being able do some Door Dashing, which means getting in & out of the car, walking with or without a cane to balance the delivery, and even climbing up & down stairs (VERY slowly).

So if ever someone tells you that you can't recover from Foot Drop, kindly suggest that it can be done.

Now if only I can get my left hip from hurting ........
 
Last edited:
Bravo, Rodney!!! I think you’re doing great….
 
Hi, found this discussion of footdrop accidently. And it's very interesting. I did a tendon repair for mine, but lots of folks here have an interest in foot issues. Perhaps you could do a separate foot thread?
 
@marieltha … we really don’t have a place for Rodney to start a separate thread just on foot drop or even foot issues, unless he has had or plans to have surgery on his foot. His comments really belong as part of his recovery journey.

Most people search for topics like foot drop using BoneSmart’s SEARCH feature. When I looked, there are 25 pages of posts dealing with this subject. So it’s pretty easy to find posts about this problem.

Thanks for your suggestion, though. :)
 
While the ability to walk is exiting, the situation now centers around the zingers. Looking back, I have described them already. My description these days is, "It like 3,000 volts sitting inside your foot with a pain generator, with nowhere to go. When it gets too much, it then releases a burst of said pain, in any old direction."

It can behave like any old zinger and push up into the foot, or it could go towards the leg and throw pain bombs in that direction. Or it can settle in the bottom of the foot and just sit there.

Think of "someone has just run a vehicle over your foot. The pain is intense, but it eventually calms down. A zinger may or may not (calm down).

Some nights, the pain gets too much and all I can do is to take my {take these & you will be out like a light within about 20 minutes.
 
@AussieRodney sounds like nerves reconnecting post fusion. Nerves take a long time to heal. You might want to ask your family doc for a specific medication to address this. There are some very good medications available.

Hope things ease for you soon!
 
@ Jaycey, you are a godsend! I have an appointment coming up soon.

And thank you for your dedicated service to the cause.

On that note, today's potentially useful information. Julie is a veteran of 10 years in Army & then AirForce. We were chatting to a veteran one day and she gave him the usual "Thank you for your Service". He surprised us with his reply: "Thank you for your Support". Brilliant!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom