TKR First Goal After Serious TKR Complication

I’m now six months post-RTKR with an avulsion fracture of the patella two weeks after surgery that had me in a brace for two month. I got out of the brace in mid April, so my rehab really started about 3 months ago.

I am now walking without any kind of assistive device and pretty much doing most things that I did before surgery. My ROM is only about 96, which the surgeon considers acceptable given the patella fracture and the condition of the knee before surgery (my ROM pre-surgery was 90). I’m still going to PT.

My question is, should I be completely pain free at this point? When I walk my dogs in the early morning my knee still hurts a little (not like before) and feels stiff. It loosens up as the day goes on but also can get tired/sore if I’m on it a lot. I have no pain at all if I’m not using it. My surgeon and PT both say it can take up to a year for a full recovery.

What are your experiences? How many months before you felt no clicking and no pain when you walked, and were glad you had the surgery?

My question is, should I be completely pain free at this point? When I walk my dogs in the early morning my knee still hurts a little (not like before) and feels stiff. It loosens up as the day goes on but also can get tired/sore if I’m on it a lot. I have no pain at all if I’m not using it. My surgeon and PT both say it can take up to a year for a full recovery.

What are your experiences? How many months before you felt no clicking and no pain when you walked, and were glad you had the surgery
I am 9 months out now and largely pain free but still can get occasional stiffness/ tightness by evening.
I didn't have your fracture experience so I would expect your recovery to be a little slower.
I am definitely glad I had my surgery.
I have had a partial so I still have slight patellofemoral arthritis- but my knee is very flexible and natural feeling, so overall my knee is a lot better than pre-op.

Hi there! My left TKR is just coming up on 6 months ago.
It clicks a little when walking, which my team told me ahead of time it might do forever.
It still stiffens a bit with inactivity, which has been increased temporarily as I'm in the early stages of recovery from my RTKA.
I don't have outright pain on the left anymore; just stiffness and the odd transitory ache (equal to pain level 2 or 3/10).
We will continue to improve!

Last edited:
My question is, should I be completely pain free at this point?
No, you are just past the halfway point in your healing. Some people heal quicker, some slower. My OS told me I'd be better but never pain-free and he was right. I can still have some discomfort even after 7 years. But, I am happy because I am so much better and can now ride my bike and hike again!
My surgeon and PT both say it can take up to a year for a full recovery.
This is very true.

Happy One Month Anniversary, Neecey! :wave:
How about a progress report on your Left TKR...we'd love to hear how your recovery is going.
Wishing you the best and hope to hear from you soon!
@Neecey

Thank you! My left knee is completely different than the right (thank goodness!). I’m now four weeks out and was able to give up the walker two weeks ago. I still use a cane for longer distances but am starting to give that up for shorter distances too. Pain is usually minimal except after PT but I’m just taking Tylenol now. ROM was 102 on Friday - don’t know if that’s good for four weeks or not.

My biggest problem now is sleeping. I still can’t get comfortable in my bed sleeping on my side. So am still in the recliner and I wake up like every hour. So tired of sitting and sleeping in the same spot!

102 at four weeks is fine, certainly ahead of the goals my ortho team told me preop!
Sleeping is a problem for some of us for a couple of months - lots of OTC options, any one of which might help one person and not another.... like antihistamines that have drowsiness as a side effect, magnesium supplements to promote rest, herbal tea blends with valerian that cause drowsiness, or low dose sustained release melatonin that (combined with an hour of low light and no electronic devices) promotes sleep.
Um, I am NOT recommending taking them all in one night!!!!!
For me the combo of a tea blend with valerian and the melatonin hit the sweet spot: a five hour unbroken sleep that quickly increased to six hour stints. What a relief!

My biggest problem now is sleeping. I still can’t get comfortable in my bed sleeping on my side. So am still in the recliner and I wake up like every hour. So tired of sitting and sleeping in the same spot
If interested, consider Magnesium which supports the following:
Bone health
Healthy blood sugar
Cardiovascular health
Muscle relaxation and nerves
Promotes healthy sleep (falling asleep and staying asleep)

An article on Magnesium -
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/magnesium-is-a-star.20301/

I was in the recliner also, but for three weeks only. Bed pillows are what helped me once I was back in bed. I had several and pretty much surrounded myself with them, basically like a pillow fort :wink: which felt comforting early on. I really like the Body Pillows in particular which are longer than normal bed pillows and inexpensive. I think they cost approx $15 at Target.

Thanks for the update, Neecey. It was nice to hear from you. Have a great week!

Happy Two Month Anniversary, Neecey!
Hope you're doing well and sleep is becoming less of an issue.
Have a great week and a Happy Thanksgiving!
@Neecey

Happy Three Month Anniversary!
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year too! Hope 2024 is a great year for you.
Thank you for sharing your journey with us. :xmas-wave-smiley-emoticon:
@Neecey

Another question:
Is it common for your recovered knees to hurt again when the weather goes from summer to winter? My TRKR was 1/26/23, though with a complication (avulsion fracture of patella that healed with a brace for two months). My LTKR was 9/22/23 with a normal healing process.

Every time my left knee hurts I worry about another complication. It’s been sore for a week now and I haven’t done anything different other than a busy Christmas season. The weather has turned cold and damp here, however-winter in the desert. Left knee has been a little sore as well. I’m walking longer routes now, but only like 3/4 mile at a time, and maybe 2-3 miles/day.

The pain isn’t terrible -just annoying - and Tylenol helps. PT says to keep moving. My body says rest. What to do?

Yes, some of us note we can feel the cold damp in our new knees.

Your left knee is only 3 months into its year long recovery.

If it helps with perspective, my six month old newer knee, quite functional, still has deep aches and stiffness above the knee in the lower quads.

Without increased swelling, severe pain, or fever, you're likely pushing just a little harder (busy season!) at a time when weather may be affecting it plus ... well, some of us have some bear in us and just want to hibernate! ... if it's concerning, call your ortho.

Meanwhile, make sure to ice and elevate, and maybe cut the walking by 1/3 for a few days to see if it helps.

We’ve had rain, fog and dreary weather for several days and my 6+ year old PKR feels awful, but thankfully, only when I walk. It’s fine on sunny days and sitting with my feet up on an ottoman. And my implant still gets very cold when I’m outside in cold temperatures, and even in the freezer section of the grocery store.

You and I are recovery buddies with your recent TKR. I found lots of activity before Christmas was exhausting and painful. Lucy reacts to the cold too. Thankfully it has been mild here in Eastern Ontario and rain when last Christmas we were buried in a blizzard.

This is totally unscientific and just my humble opinion, but I've wondered if the metal and plastic implants get cold, and stay cold, in winter. It makes total sense to me, even if I'm crazy.....lol. Being in California, we don't get the deep cold weather many states do, but when we travel to colder areas, my knee feels the cold, and is a bit achy, which doesn't generally happen at home. Don't take my statement as fact, it's just my own observation, and not anything I've been told by anyone in the medical profession. :)

My 7 year old knee will notice the change in the weather with more minor discomforts. After a few hours, she'll calm back down and be a good girl.

Is it common for your recovered knees to hurt again when the weather goes from summer to winter?
Yes. Following is some info I compiled on the topic a while ago.

Is It True You Can Feel Weather Changes In Your Joint?

For some people, yes. It's especially true for patients with arthritic joints who have not had a joint replacement, but also the case even after you have a new prosthetic in place.

Weather changes are predicted by changes in barometric pressure, which is the weight of the air pressing against the earth's surface. These changes can trigger pain and stiffness in the area of the prosthesis. The activity of bone adapting and growing around the metal leads to the sensitivity felt during weather and pressure changes. These sensations normally disappear within one to two years following surgery.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
leonardcotton
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom