THR Finally

Hi @Mojo333 I’m using elbow crutches and I’m still using both at the moment and I’ve had the pain on and off since Wednesday, but Thursday evening it became extreme and then faded, now it’s just a background pain. I’ll try the resizing to see if that helps alleviate it, thanks for the information :thankyou:

Hi @julesglass I’m doing ok with the actual hip replacement, no pain and no pain meds needed, skin clips came out on Wednesday just gone so that’s another step done. I’m just having some trouble with the ribs which I think is being caused by the crutches, I’m trying the things Mojo333 suggested so hopefully I can start venturing out a little more to give the new hip more of a walk.

Hi @PaulSim
I can't really comment on crutches as I don't have any.
Before I went for surgery I bought two decent used walkers; one 2-wheel which I use in the house and one standard 4-wheel which I use outside. I find them very helpful and easy to use. I wish you can get one for yourself in such early stage of recovery.

Good Morning @PaulSim
It's good to hear you're doing well aside from your ribs being affected by the use of the crutch.
Hopefully Mojo's suggestions will help permanently ease the pain, in the interim I'm wishing you comfort as you continue healing. A happy Saturday to you!

Last edited:
Hi @PaulSim
Hope things are easing with your chest pain.
These first weeks can be a bit daunting, but gratefully it is all temporary.
The forum will be experiencing some downtime this morning. But I hope to see an update later with some encouraging news.

Sending healing mojo your way.

Hi @Mojo333 Yes thanks the chest pain has mostly subsided now. Been walking outside again today and like others I may have pushed a little harder than I should have, so I’m feeling the hip a bit this evening, tomorrow is going to be a rest day apart from little jaunts around my flat.

It is good to get a little outside therapy, and yes, everything feels like a dance between too much sitting, too much walking:gaah:
Not even one month out so I think you are right about where I was at this time.
Keep that patience muscle flexed...it WILL be worth it.

I hope you're enjoying your rest day. Don't be tempted :no-fin:
to do more than short walks around your home. Great news the chest pain has subsided. Hopefully things are looking up. :yes:
A peaceful relaxing day to you!
@PaulSim

Hey @PaulSim
Happy One Month Anniversary!
How are you doing? We'd love to hear...we're all ears. Hoping all is well.
Please share an update when you have a couple minutes.
A great weekend to you!

Hi @Layla and thanks I’ve moved to one crutch around the flat now although I still use two whilst out and about building up strength on the operated side. I wasn’t prepared for the niggling things you get after a hip replacement the swelling being the main one, shin pain another but I can’t complain as I’m pain free from the main thing that was causing trouble. I see my surgeon in a little over two weeks and I’ll see how he gauges I’m doing.

I wasn’t prepared for the niggling things you get after a hip replacement the swelling being the main one, shin pain another but I can’t complain as I’m pain free from the main thing that was causing trouble.
No truer words! The migrating aches and twinges are something else, aren't they? I would wake up each morning and gingerly do a body check.. but it all eased away with time. You seem to be doing quite well, I'm guessing the shin pain is from your gait changes since the hip was repaired. I felt it in my achilles tendon- a lot!! with this recent hip. I think it took a full month for it to adapt and settle down.
I hope you enjoy the weekend, maybe some more outside walking?

Hi Paul,
I'm not sure whether or not you're icing, but if you're not, please consider it for the swelling and any pain you're experiencing. It will help with both. Make sure to ice for 45-60 minutes each time, no less, and target several times daily. I do believe you may find some relief if you dedicate the time.
Have a great evening and Sunday!
@PaulSim

Happy Two Month Anniversary!
Wondering how you're doing these days and how your visit with the surgeon went. Please let us know about the progress you've made over the past month...we'd love to hear.
Until next time...all the best!
@PaulSim

Thanks @Layla, everything went fine with the surgeon he’s happy with my progress so far. I asked him about the few niggles I’ve still got but he said those are all normal and will disappear in time. I’m now back at work doing several half days and looking to start driving again once a little more manoeuvrability in my hip comes back. Go back in 12 months, best thing I’ve ever done.

best thing I’ve ever done.

That says it all! Awesome update, thanks for sharing. You're doing very well and I'm happy for you. Enjoy and stay in touch! :wave:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Exocoetidae
Recent bookmarks