TKR Finally recovering

Status
Not open for further replies.
So glad to hear you're doing much better, Buddhabear! It is encouraging to me right now as I'm feeling like I'll never, ever be back to anything close to normal! I'm now 4 weeks and 14 weeks out, and feeling like this has gone on FOREVER! I'm sure you can relate to how I'm feeling right now.

It really does help to find the posts that show me life does go on.....someday! Thanks!

Oh, can I! You are still SO early. Patience. I had it for the first three months - which in the grand scheme of things is a long time. Then started the impatience stage and pushed myself into a relapse of sorts. Totally set myself back by overdoing. But this is such a long recovery. Don't rush it, even emotionally. Really. If you look at it as a year, you won't be upset with yourself, and happy if it takes less. But you and I are both dealing with both, and that is even harder. One thing I did not do until just recently is accept my 'new' knees as part of me. They are me. And that really helped. Before that they were invaders who were ruining my life. I feel more accepting of them and what they have been through now. And now my knees ARE strong. My knees. My knees. And I have very high expectations for them now. You will too. Hang on.

Thanks so much, Buddha! I'm beginning to get into the "feeling sorry for myself phase" now, and I'm trying so hard to remain positive. The truth is.....I'm sick of my couch, I'm sick of elevating, icing, and I'm sick of RESTING! I can sure see how easy it is to overdo it and push, push, push to get better faster! I know it doesn't work, but I so want to be out and about again! I know it will come, and I'm thankful that things are going ok right now, but my patience is beginning to become very limited!

I will continue to come here to read the empowering and encouraging stories like yours! I know I can do it......just wish it didn't take SO LONG! Thanks, again, for your kind comments!

It is good to hear stories where it gets better. Especially for those whose recovery is going a bit slower. I am 5 months and I had a really great day on Saturday despite 6 hours in the car over the course of the day. But then Sunday and Monday I was really stiff, today better. ROM keeps going from 110-120 on any given day. 5 months just seems like way too long to still feel abnormal. But just the fact that I an now having good days intermixed with the stiff days tells me it will get better. I want to get more active but every time I do I pay for it. I just have to remind myself they are just letting me know I am not ready. I am so glad you are doing well and that you have come to terms with your knees. I guess we don't realize that this is a type of grief that we have to work through! We also have to learn the dreaded patience. :loll: Thanks for the hope!

And just when I think I am finally on track - I fell today. My left knee took the brunt of the fall. I was in the parking lot of my favorite nursery and fell into a pot hole. Men came running. I did need help up. Hate this. But back in my car after the obligatory, 'I'm fine, I'm fine.' My knee had a huge nob, hard as a rock - or, my worst fear - was that a missed placed knee? I was suddenly in tears and afraid to death. I think I intellectually knew it's not bone any more, it's titanium, and it ain't breaking. But it swelled to about a hard two inch in diameter nob. End of story - took out my ice man, and I am icing. Beginning of another story - are we always afraid we are going to break again?

Well all - here I am at almost 10 months exactly from RTKR and 8 1/2 from LTKR and yesterday I walked downstairs for the first time without any bucking, tugging, awkwardness or anything! I even put some comfortable speed into it - and nothing! Tried it again just now and still nothing! Wasn't a fluke! And I am finally walking with a little speed, and tried to run just to see if I could - and I can. Even tried jumping and both feet got off the ground at the same time! I am still stiff in the morning, and after a lot of activity but it feels different, like I have just worked out, not like something is wrong. At times they even look like knees! All this as I am on my path to owning them as part of me. And spending a lot of time with my three year old great niece acting like a real person chasing her in play grounds. I can kneel for a while, and am just about to sit my but down from a kneeling position. Almost there.
I really feel like the fog has lifted. My knees work and I am going to get ack to my life - FINALLY!! So to everyone out there still early in their journey, it does get better. There is life after total knee replacement!
This post was so great to read. I had a LTKR on January 31,2013 and I am getting a RTKR on July 17th,2013. I have been in severe pain with the bad knee. SO I am looking forward to feeling better. Even my back hurts right now I don't like feeling this way. I need to get better. haha The pain has gotten so bad that I just sit down and cry some days.

You know, it is still a roller coaster ride. Good days, bad days. Better days. Still wish I were further along at just one year from my first. Tight band is my issue right now, and going for some deep tissue message Tuesday. But even if I am still uncomfortable, sometimes still having to ice and elevate - my knees are strong and I know the muscles around them are still getting stronger. Some may recover quickly but I know for me it has taken a year. This takes so much patience and endurance. No one who has not gone through this can understand.
I spent the day in and out of the pool today with friends and everyone just assumed I was back to 100% because they could barely see my scars. And I was better letting them think that. Made me push to act normal, dive and swim like I used to. I ache tonight, and I am swollen. But I have just recently gotten to a place where the more really active I am, the less swollen and achy and stiff I get. Our new knees must keep moving.

By the way ihurt222, I bet your back hurts cause you are walking a little off what with a brand new healing knee and a bad one. Crying is okay. This ain't easy. But it will get better. Really.

where have you been 2.jpeg
Buddhabear.
thanks for stopping by 4.jpg
and giving us such a good update on how you're doing. And, yes, it does take a year at least and sometimes more to get back to "normal"--but as you said it takes patience and endurance---and you've got them both and you WILL get there even if it takes longer than you wanted.

Don't be a stranger. Take care and keep us updated. We really do care.

where have you been 2.jpeg
Buddhabear.
thanks for stopping by 4.jpg
and giving us such a good update on how you're doing. And, yes, it does take a year at least and sometimes more to get back to "normal"--but as you said it takes patience and endurance---and you've got them both and you WILL get there even if it takes longer than you wanted.

Don't be a stranger. Take care and keep us updated. We really do care.
By the way ihurt222, I bet your back hurts cause you are walking a little off what with a brand new healing knee and a bad one. Crying is okay. This ain't easy. But it will get better. Really.
Thanks for the info. I know I will be better soon I just have to get this other knee done. I was feeling great for awhile before the right knee went out. So I know better days are to come. I just want to be active.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member