Finally pulling the trigger HR on 10/1/12

Status
Not open for further replies.

Road_Clam

Hello everyone, I can be added to the "Oct" list, (October 1 to be exact). I'm excited, and extremely nervous (my first major joint replacement). My major cause of concern is that relatively very young to be having a hip replaced, and the fact that prior to my coming HS, I led an extremly active lifestyle. I am an avid motorcyclist both street and dirt, play golf, swimming and ski . My occupation also demands energy as well. So I can't help but fear that I will not be 100% post surgery, but after much reseaerch and seeking a great surgeon who understands my specific needs i'm trying to stay positive !

Hello Road Clam! So glad you joined us. Congrats on making the decision to get your THR. Yes you are young for THR - but then I was told I was young as well (at 59)! This op has no age limits. Have a read in the Library about some Amazing hip recoveries.

You will find many very active hippies who have gone back to doing what they love - dancing, skiing - you name it!

Do join our October Feisties group. I found it very helpful to share the journey with others.

Not long now!

Hello and welcome! You most certainly will not be 100% for the first 8 weeks post-op but very soon thereafter you will be about 120% to where you are now! Use the link Jaycey gave you and see what some of our previous members are doing now. You might just change your mind!

What is your occupation, if I may ask?

You might take this time to read these articles in preparation for your big day
Pain management and the pain chart
How Long Does Healing Take ......
Chart representation of THR recovery
Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy Drain for THRs
Elevating your leg to control swelling and pain
Activity progression for THR
Some suggestions for home physio (PT) and activity progress
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

Thank you for the welcome ! josephine my occupation is a CNC Machinist. I machine large heavy parts an there is a lot of physicall movements, and some moderate lifting required .

Welcome to BoneSmart :)

Reading your comment....
'I machine large heavy parts and there is a lot of physical movements, and some moderate lifting required '.

I would be considering 12 weeks for recovery before I would want to continue such a labor intensive job..

Look forward to following your journey :)

I agree with Poppet. 12 weeks MINIMUM. And if you are required to turn from side to side to take a part and place it on another nearby surface, that's going to be an activity you want out of your work schedule for at least another 2-4 weeks as it will a) play up your knee big time by about 60% and b) risk loosening the implants by about 10%. You might also find it useful to read this Phased return to work.

You people are scaring me, my surgeon commented i'll be out of the hospital in 3-4 days, and back to work with a few restrictions in about 2 weeks ? Well, I guess we will see how things progress in real time post op...Not sure if it makes my situation less rehab intensive or not but I am in great shape, slim build, 155 lbs @ 5'11" no medications, non smoker . I've made the commitment thus far and certainly won't risk all that been accomplished by working the new joint to heavily by returning to work too early.

RoadClam -

I had both my hips replaced last winter .... was out of work 4-6 weeks each time, but it was worth the wait. I was in a lot of pain for a few years prior to surgery, but after doing all of the rehab prescribed (and a bit more), I feel 20 years younger and have no sensation that anything was done to me at all. Sleep great, long walks, water ski, all without pain. So my advice to you is to take enough time to let your body heal up (this IS major surgery) and doing all of the rehab as your team suggests. We all get impatient, but a year from now you should be "paying it forward" to another Newbie on BoneSmart.

Best Wishes -

Kevin (PS - used to live in Durham NH, now in Chicago. We miss everything except the black flies in June)

Road Clam, your age and good physical condition will help your recovery greatly. But even if you worked a desk job, two weeks would be a ridiculous thing for your doctor to tell you. I've now had two of the easiest early recoveries anyone could hope for, and if I still worked...two months would have been the earliest I could have faced it (teaching) and probably not full time until I eased into it. You could really push yourself to prove us all wrong, but you would be putting your 100% recovery in jeopardy. You are right....see how it all shapes up in real time. But don't lock yourself into anything that puts you at risk. Give yourself the gift of more than two weeks to put your health needs first.

We'll all be rooting for you.
Sharon

I just can't see why any surgeon would tell you that you will be back to work in 2 weeks! It's just not realistic! I would have a good discussion with your OS so you can set your expectations pre-op. Yes you are in great shape and age is on your side. But this is not like having a tooth pulled. As others have said it's a major op! Give yourself time to heal and you have the rest of your life to enjoy!

Well here's an update to my HR, i'm back home now and i'm feeling good ! I got released from the hospital on 10/4 . The PT and OT staff were totally satisfied with my quick recovery. On the day of surgery (10/1), after about 6 hrs I was able to sit bedside and dangle and move my feet. I had only minimal numbness. Day 2 AM after breakfast I was able to get out of bed and sit in a chair with assistance and use of a walker. I felt strong under my leg, but the heavy drugs made me feel kinda "not in control" overall. They told me this is normal. throughout the 2nd day all my supports were removed (IV, catheter, and a container that allowed blood to exit the incision site). By the end of the 2nd day I was able to independently get up from my bed walk with a walker. Day 2 OT and PT were just the basics of getting dressed, hygiene, and getting out of bed. Day 3 was more challenging, I needed to dress and wash myself unassisted, and walk at least 20 stairs. I also asked to be taken off the daily pain meds, they were giving me Oxycontin every 12 hrs, and Oxycodone every 4 hrs as needed. After the pain meds wore off I did obviously have more pain, but my overall functions were much clearer. I realized the Tylenol and tremadol taken together worked very well for reducing my pain, yet still allowing me to function at a high level. The most painfull time for me was getting out of bed in the am after a long sleep. I also felt a substantial amount of stinging right at the incision whenever moving my leg. Basically by the afternoon of day 3 I was able to walk with one crutch, and climb 25 stairs. Day 4 I was back home, and while i'm not feeling a high level of pain, I am feeling extreme tightness in my thigh muscle. It's currently day 5 and I am doing excellent, I walk 1/2 of my distances unassisted, then finish with using my crutch. PT gave me some simple muscle stretch excercises and I do them twice daily. I go to see my doctor in 2 weeks to see how i doing.

Welcome to the other side! Ice and elevate that leg to get the swelling down. All very normal at this stage. Don't forget, slow and steady wins this race!

Thanks for giving us an update! It sounds like you are doing well and it is always good to hear encouraging stories.

I think it's great that your surgery went so well and you are feeling pretty good. :)

That said ... I do wonder if you are still running on adrenalin and may be pushing yourself to hard without realizing it. I did this after my first hip and around the 2 week point, I had a wave of fatigue come over me that was unbelievable. I couldn't even speak coherently. I called the surgeon's office (happened on a Sunday, so I got an on-call nurse) and they recommended I go to the ER or to a walk in. I did this. They ran a bunch of blood tests, and everything came back fine. I had simply hit "a wall" and was very severely fatigued. It took me a week to get back to feeling normal. Before this happened, I was posting about how I was doing my own housework, doing this, doing that ... things were going great! Jo posted a "you are doing too much--slow down" warning, for which I politely thanked her ... and then blew her off and kept going. I had to learn the hard way. I'm sure I was just running on shear adrenalin, which ran out.

The second hip, I knew better than to push things, but the PT at the hospital pushed things for me, and I ended up doing some very painful exercises that caused a hip flexor muscle tear. I'm still suffering from this several months later.

I'm hoping you won't have any problems like I had, but I just want to throw them out as food for thought. I had to learn the hard way, and I'd like to save someone else from a similar fate.

Take care,

Dorothy

I was cautioned about getting joint tendinitis from initially pushing the muscles too much from my surgeon. Me personally think the main reason people push too hard in the beginning is from taking too much pain meds and maintaining a false level of comfort, which in turn causes you to push the joint muscles too much and not feel accurate pain. I have taken myself off all my Oxy type pain meds, so I am stiff and slightly sore all the time. I am doing my simple pt joint exercises twice daily, followed by icing, and also a lot of steady slow walking focusing on proper gate method. My legs were in previously excellent condition as my job is very walk intense, so my situation is very different from the norm with respect to more elderly and less active patients. Another good sign I am observing is over the past few days the swelling in my thigh is lessening. Thank you all for all the positive support !

I tend to agree with you about sometimes doing damage because you might not be able to feel it and/or how bad it may be. I'm off the hard stuff as well (for a different reason than you are) and am also stiff and sore. It's not debilitating, but uncomfortable. Yesterday I played with my grand kids and today am paying for it, but still am able to do more than a couple of days ago. Before surgery, I was very much in hopes of a fast recovery even though the only similarity we have is non-smoking! I think what most folks here are concerned about is your expecting more than your body can deliver. You, of course, are the only one who can determine that. I hope you keep posting and all your news is good. You will note there are some wonderful recoveries here and may yours be one of them.

I tend to agree with you about sometimes doing damage because you might not be able to feel it and/or how bad it may be. I'm off the hard stuff as well (for a different reason than you are) and am also stiff and sore. It's not debilitating, but uncomfortable. Yesterday I played with my grand kids and today am paying for it, but still am able to do more than a couple of days ago. Before surgery, I was very much in hopes of a fast recovery even though the only similarity we have is non-smoking! I think what most folks here are concerned about is your expecting more than your body can deliver. You, of course, are the only one who can determine that. I hope you keep posting and all your news is good. You will note there are some wonderful recoveries here and may yours be one of them.

Today I went to get some groceries and that being said was a pretty intense workout. As soon as I got home I iced my thigh, and took a nice nap. Woke up about 230 feeling more sore than usuall but nothing severe. I saw my in-home PT therapist and she went over all my new excercises to do. I had many questions and she was a great help. So from here on out it's just PT, icing and napping !

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Plerea
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom