Guest viewing is limited

TKR Finally in recovery

jsa, just read your thread. I can't even imagine! I must sound like such a complainer! I do hope so very much that this can be resolved for you. Sending you healing thoughts, MOJO, all I can muster!
 
@Finally Thanks heaps for the wishes.

No I never think anyone can or should measure other peoples pain, stress and endurance against themselves so don't be thinking that. We all have different tolerance levels and some days we are strong, others not so. At the moment I am not so but other times I feel blessed its not my first operation where I might be scared out of my wits about the unknown. At least I'm used to it all.

I'm glad you are seeing the doc today.... let us know what he says. I dont know much about changing the size spacers or the reasons they do it but others on here might. Good luck today.:yes:
 
Jsa, just my thought but it seems we are strongest when we keep going in spite of not feeling strong. Reading your journey, you are so very strong! Even if it doesn't feel it right now.
 
Here is my update. Saw surgeon on Tuesday, he didn't seem as confident that the spacer was my problem. I asked if there were any other tests to determine - he said no. He also said that my looseness wasn't as bad as some he has seen.

I asked what the next step would be if this did not work. He said that there was nothing else he could do if surgery did not work.

He offered to try a cortisone shot and see how things go for the next three months. He also thinks that I should try exercising with weights.

I took the cortisone and ordered the weights. I have been riding the stationary bike every day. He said that will not help muscles and tendons. I'll give it a shot. Hopefully with strengthening the pain will lesson.

I do feel much better after the cortisone. The swelling is way down. The ache is gone. I slept through the night! Hope it lasts.
 
He also thinks that I should try exercising with weights.
What exactly is exercising with weights supposed to do for you? I'm afraid I would strongly question how more activity could help your knee.
 
He said that I need to strengthen the muscles around the knee and that may help with instability.
 
I was told with my joints that the cortisone should calm any inflammation and with me they often they put in a local anaesthetic in as well so if thats the case with yours, that could help too. Glad its getting better after soooo long.
 
Last edited:
just my thought but it seems we are strongest when we keep going in spite of not feeling strong.
This is true for a lot of areas in our lives, and something I am trying to do.
 
@Jockette

It is true. Sometimes we don't appreciate how strong we really are.

Update on cortisone shot and weights. Did the weights once...no, just no, too much pain! Still riding stationary bike everyday. I am trying to maintain my ROM. It is less now than before shot. The pain is worse. Using a cane again when going to stores. Pain waking me up still, hurts to just sit. Feels like I have cold water running down my shin. I keep checking because I think my pants are wet. Just odd.

Just called for 2nd opinion with doctor from Hospital for Special Surgery in New York. Good reputation and husband had hip done by him. Wish I had gone there originally. The difference between his hospital experience and mine were total opposites.
 
Hi all! Been a while since I've posted. Still in recovery I guess. 2 years out from revision and still in pain. I crazy symptoms, erratic, burning, tingling, aching and even imaginary water running down my leg.
So last Thursday I went for a genucular nerve block. It has helped so much. I haven't felt this good since before my 1st surgery. I need to have one more and then have the nerve ablation.
My issue is that it hurt. Just the first on the inner area above the knee. It really hurt. I was screaming. I have had cortisone shots in the knee, cortisone on my heel, this was beyond anything I have felt. From what I have read it really shouldn't be that painful. I am afraid to do it again! At least I will have IV pain management for ablation but I had nothing with this. Any ideas? Why did I have so much pain?
 
I’m glad it helped but I’m sorry the procedure was so painful! Wow!
 
Hello Finally,
Thanks for the update. I am sorry the experience was so painful for you. These nerve blocks can help treat chronic pain in your knee and hopefully bring long term relief, but results can vary considerably from person to person, so you may or may not receive feedback. Wondering if you mentioned the severe pain you were experiencing to the medical professional administering the injection and if so what their response was? Definitely mention this when you go for your second injection, which I hope is much more tolerable for you. :fingersx: Please keep us posted.
Best wishes for successful treatment and your comfort while undergoing future procedures.
@Finally
 
Good morning! The nerve block has htremendously. Gives me hope that the ablation will work for me. I'm on day six post nerve block and I have done more in the last few days than I could hope for, shopping, gardening, cleaned the house, cooked meals, all after working all day! I feel like me again.
As far as the doctor knowing that I was in pain..it was quite obvious. I was so embarrassed afterward. I screamed quite loudly and repeatedly. He kept asking if I wanted him to stop. I wasn't about to stop halfway!
 
I'm glad that awful pain is now giving you relief. Can they give you a sedative before your next one?
 
I can't believe that there is so much ignorance and so many mediocre practitioners out there. I hesitate to say "professionals" as there appears to be a lot of persons who should be scrubbing floors not involving themselves with humans in pain. These stories are awful! It's like some tales of the Spanish Inquisition. Chiropracters putting their weight on a knee sideways? Nerve blockers where the patient is screaming in pain? PTs who do MORE damage? MUAs? I know this site covers many countries but wow. Just wow.

I think it will take a lot more complaints and calls from us who are receiving shoddy care to these people's professional organizations before the mediocrity has been weeded out. Maybe more pre-op research? More word-of-mouth recommendations?

We are a huge cohort, us older joint replacement candidates, especially in Canada. Our medical system has fattened the bottoms of administrators instead of building hospitals and training medical professionals and our wait times are atrocious throughout the country. I had waited years for my surgery and I still had to find a clinic where I could pay to get fixed. And nobody in my province in the public system will do 2 knees at once. If I had waited for the public system it would have taken another 5 years to be healed and that would make me 80!

Our system is so crippled, some surgeons get one afternoon a week to actually work. A shortage of beds, operating rooms, nurses, cleaners...does anyone think that it makes sense that a highly trained surgeon should sit around for 6 days a week? In this country, you cannot go to a private clinic in your own province except in Quebec so you have to travel to find a clinic that will "do" you.

This is why so many private clinics are popping up, not only do the surgeons want to make money, they get to work as much as they wish. When I was a Commercial pilot, I could tell a difference in my performance if I didn't fly for a week, not a life-threatening deterioration of my skills but I could tell a difference. Imagine how it must affect a surgeon?

Rant Switch..............OFF
 
I’m so sorry that hurt. I had an injection of a pain drug (I can’t recall the name) in my AC joint & shoulder and never again. It helped but I just can’t.
Don’t overdo it with your (new) knee!

Marie
 

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom