Finally got my hip done!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, you have a couple of options

1. push him to do it anyway - he has said he will
2. find another surgeon in your area - maybe Princess Alexandra Hospital, Harlow or Broomfields Hospital, Chelmsford. You could ring them and find the name of the hip surgeons there. Their NHS secretaries will be able to give you the number of their private secretaries.
3. find a surgeon further afield - I can recommend the Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital at Stanmore, Middlesex or Addenbrooks in Cambridge

Given the time constraints, I would push him to do the surgery. Did you explain about the insurance problem?

Incidentally, are you that much overweight? What seemed to be his particular concerns?

I'm about 4stone over weight . he said that as i have to have a full H/R it would be dangerous for me to have the anaesthetic. have to say he didnt make me feel to good about haveing surgery . i did forget to tell him about the insurance problem as i was a bit upset . when i was there . .He as said if i want it done to call his secatary as he operates every Wednesday. just book it in .. for as he said so Major . yet its like booking into the dentist. i didnt sleep last night as i was so worried about it .

Does that mean you are what? 16-18 stones? I have nursed patients that were all of that and had hips done. I take it you don't have any other issues like diabetes or heart problems.

Yes there are risks but so there are for any surgery/anaesthetic. A good anaesthetist (and I know the anaesthetists at Hartswood are good) will be able to make adjustments for that. You will have to have a spinal - fine, you'll probably have one anyway - and you will be closely monitored in the routine way so don't worry about that. But none of the biggies I nursed ever had too much of a problem before, during or after. If he's being picky then get another surgeon. There's plenty to choose from. But tell them up front there is a time issue so they don't keep you hanging around for an appointment. You can tell their secretaries. They will be the engine that drives their practice!!

Keep me posted.

Thank You
You have really put my mind at ease . Im 14st 10 . big but not masive .I will phoned up he's secretary and book it in For the 5th of March . which gives me a bit more time to lose more weight , i have already come down a stone . I dont know what i would have done without this site and you. you have all been so helpfull . so watch this space in a few weeks time i will sitting here asking you more question ? and wondering why i was so scared. Once again thank you Josephine Your my Angel .

14.10? That's nothing! Can't imagine why he is making an issue of it! I think he's just covering his rear end against possible litigation.

Glad to have been of help. Let me know how you get on and don't forget - we're here 24/7. For you!

Blessings to you.

Hi Josephine
Just to let you know that my surgery is all booked up for the 5th March, Would love to say i cant wait but i am honestly so scared . Each day that goes by i'm getting worse . But then again so is the pain .
Sue

Any particular things that worry you, Lou? Come and tell me - any little thing - and we can talk them over. Knowledge is power, y'know!

Hi ladies,

I love your thread so I would like to hop in. Well if I could hop, I would. I am having surgery on March 17. I have hip displaysia, but never had anything done to correct it. I am 53. Right now I am more excited than afraid. As it gets closer that will probably change. I could use to lose some weight as well, but not being able to walk or ride my bike really limits me. My Dr. didn't bring up the weight factor.

I have to go out and get the toilet seat and the things that raise my bed. I'm pretty tall, so most things seem too short for me.

I'm very glad to have found this forum. There is nothing better than talking to someone who is going through the same thing. Do you all have displaysia? I don't know if that is what you call it across the pond.

Cheers!

Morning Jeanie
I have Osteoarthritis In My right Hip . I'm having Surgery on the 5th March . Bit Scared but cant wait for it to be over. I have had a really bad weekend counldnt walk at all yesterday, If i could have cut my right side of i would have . i also need to go out and get all my equipment ie loo Seat and the rest. I know what you mean about finding this Forum Every one on here have been Great . I dont know what i would have done with out it, Josephine you now have 2 of us to drive you mad...Jeanie what is Displaysia.? I hear every one on here talking about it but i dont know anything about it, Any way hun Stay intouch . chat soon
Sue

The word dysplasia simply means abnormal growth and is actually used in a number of scenarios in medicine. In the hip, it means there was a condition in the head of the femur that caused the bone to be soft so it developed in a deformed way.

As for you all driving me mad - are you kidding? This place keeps me sane! It gives me an opportunity to make use of all my years of experience in orthopeadics which, on September 1st this year, will a full 50!!

Thank you Josephine. for explaining about dysplasia.i'm glad we dont drive you mad .50 years .thats a long time . have you always been orthopeadics? im trying to read everything about my OP, So i no what to expect but everyone i'm talking to said every one is different so i cant go on what im hearing i'm getting good and bad feed back. Just have to wait and see for myself . wish you were still at The Hartswood.
Chat soon i hope your well
Sue

Thanks for that Josephine. You even spelled it correctly. I also have osteoarthritis in my hip. Mine is the left. I only learned from my orthopedic surgeon two weeks ago that I have had dysplasia all my life. My hip "socket" is too shallow. Ergo, the osteoarthritis. I have also learned that dysplasia is something like 80% more likely if you are a female, and generally the oldest, and generally it is the right hip. I am the oldest girl, but it is my left hip.

Of course, statistics are never useful for one person's diagnosis! We must have a party after our surgeries in March. Mine is on St. Patrick's day. A bigger holiday in the states than in the UK I've heard.

Rock on!

Yes, I have always been in Orthopaedics, especially ortho surgery so I know more than the average nurse about hip and knee replacements. I was scrub nurse to the surgeon, Ken McKee who originally developed the artificial hip joint though his laurels were stolen by the upstart Charnley!! (I only a little biased!!)
And I also assisted him at the first knee replacement ever done anywhere in about 1963!

And Jeanie, all your facts are dead on. And your condition is sometimes referred to as Perthe's disease. (Per-these)

St Patrick's day is hardly acknowledged in the UK at all but then we don't acknowledge St John's day either so hardly surprising!

Right Girls Party time in here shall we say the 26th March !! Do you miss being in theatre Josephine. I bet you have seen some major changes from when you first started ? I also bet you were a lovely Nurse. Can i ask you a Question . How long are you in theatre for . and how long in recovery After a Hip replacement . Jeanie thank you for i have learnt something new today
Loads of Love Girls
Sue

Don't miss it quite as much as I thought I would as I have all you lovely peeps here to look after instead. It's like having my own personal little ward to look after!

As for the timing, well the average primary hip replacement takes about 1 hour for the surgeon - what we would call "skin to skin" meaning, first incision to sewing up. But you can add to that about 30-40 mins in the anaesthetic room, 30 mins to set up on the table and drape, then maybe an hour or so in recovery. So your visit to the Operating Department would be around 2½-3 hrs all told.

I remember when my nephew had to go to theatre to have a major op and the surgeon said it would take him about 3 hrs. Well, he was taken down about midday and when it got to 6pm and they said he was still in theatre, his mother about had a stroke!! She rang me in a terrible panic, totally convinced that something terrible had happened for him to have been in there so long. So I explained the logistics of it all - an hour for anaestehetic, half an hour to set him up on the op table, 3 hrs to do the op, possibly an hour for the assistant to close and dress the wound, maybe 2 hrs in recovery. See, the point she missed was that the surgeon said it would take HIM 3 hrs, not that the patient would be down there 3 hrs. Big difference!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HaiPao
Recent bookmarks