Fear of falling

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swright

Okay,

Am I just a big whimp, or did anyone else out there go through the "fear of falling" when using cane, and doing PT exercises that don't allow you to hold onto something/rather just be next to a counter or something in your off balance?

My PT guy says I'm thinking too much about using the muscles. I'm supposed to just do the moves and let my mind send the signals to the muscles. I have never been terribly coordinated, now it seems that just doing a simple leg exercise is comical. Between my muscles not getting the message and my lack of coordination I end up laughing. The most frustrating thing is not to be able to lift my leg up while sitting or lying down. It's like my body is ignoring me. I understand it is normal for this point in my post surgery, but it is still scary.

I think we all experience fears following surgery. I know I have with my knee replacement. How far out from the operation are you? I'm thinking this will improve as you go ahead with your therapy. Addressing fears and finding out they are normal is one of the best things about having this forum to go to!

The one thing my Dr kept saying was "you can't hurt that knee".
You had more of a chance of falling before the surgery. Just relax and put one foot in front of the other.
faith

Do you have a walker? I would not have been able to go right to a cane. I used my walker for almost 3 weeks and never felt I was going to fall. A few days ago, I started using just the cane, just around the house. My cane has 4 tips on it, so it is pretty stabilizing. I am tall and have always been really uncoordinated. Falling would be really bad for your recovery, as I am sure you know. You could dislocate your new hip etc.

Fear of falling would really increase my anxiety, which is the last thing you need. You probably need more support until you feel more comfortable with a cane. (??) I also wonder how far out from surgery you are...

Good luck!

I am 2 weeks post op. I asked about the cane with four tips, my PT guy said you won't need that. I had the MIS 2 incision, so I've had no 90 degree restrictions from day one. That has been very nice, since I have one less thing to worry about.

The body is amazing!!! Since yesterday was my 1st real whole day with the cane, my body feels more comfortable today. Still a little shakey getting started on it, but then as I "stop thinking" about every step my body doe take over. I'm trying to give myself a break and postpone my anxiousness to walk unassisted. I keep telling myself that at 4wks post op I will be evaluated by my OS and I can go from there. That is 2wks out, which will go by quickly. My main goal is to build my quads so I can lift my foot from the gas to the break pedal safely. My sons are at that age where they have lots of activities and my husband is getting a taste of being the "taxi". He doesn't complain but once he is home after the long day of work/running around he drops into bed. I think the independence of driving helps emotionally also. Wow, getting a taste of how it may be some day when I can't drive, really makes me appreciate it now.

Hello, Sounds like you are doing the right thing to trust yourself and what you feel comfortable with. I saw in your post that you had MIS & no 90 degree restriction. That is the first I have heard of that. I am hopeful to have MIS too on my hip in a few weeks. Did you have a THR and you are allowed to bend more than 90 degrees? Thanks in advance for your reply.

Hi
I Have exactly the same problem with my muscles - My Physio says he can see me trying so hard to do a particular exercise but nothing happens. He says some of the receptors in the brain have been 'switched off' for so long (as I haven't walked properly for years) it will take quite a bit of encouragement to get them kicking in again. I find if the Physio or anyone can just help you to start the move then the brain knows what it is supposed to be doing and I can carry on without help, with time he says I won't need that help. I think over this past 2/3 weeks it's proving to me that he is right, some of my exercises are becoming so much easier.

Karen

Mssully,
Yes I had a THR using MIS,2 incision approach. There are a few MIS approaches so I'm not sure which one your OS is using.

Yes, from day one I had no 90 degree restrictions. My PT said that not having the 90 degree restrictions is a plus, however, he said that from what he's seen the MIS is a bit more painful for the first few weeks. I found that interesting.

For Karen,
My PT guy said the same thing, the signals are basically turned off from lack of use. It's funny to see that when you get the motion startedhow your body sorta wakes up. I'm looking forward to the day the muscle receptors "stay awake".

It seemed that after my PT session which included stretching the flexor muscle of the thigh, I was able to walk with little pressure on my cane. But then, later when my mom came to take me out to lunch, I was back to moderate pain/more pressure on my cane.

Frustrating!!! I think it also had to do with having my exedrine asprin in the moring before PT, less pain, less I lean on my cane. The asprin had probley worn off, as had the stretching....

I liked getting a glimps of "hey I'm barely using my cane", but at the same time when I went back to using it more I was like "wait a minute this isn't progression, it's regression..."

Again,
I have to remind my self I'm 2 weeks and 3 days after surgery, but still I would like to keep moving forward, not falling back.

I think for only being two weeks out of surgery, you are doing good. I used a walker for about 4 and was told to use the cane as long as I limp. I am 8 weeks out and I wish I were getting along better, but I am having so much trouble with the knees that I think that is causing me to limp....and the fact that I have an inch LLD. Good luck and hope things will improve (for both of us) very soon.

I have 3/4 of an inch leg lenght discrepancy.

I imagine that with "any" difference it takes time for the body to adjust. I've heard that some of the difference evens out as the prosthesis sits down into the bone.

I think it is all about "time", we can want to be at a certain point, but listening to our bodies is the best thing we can do. I know that if I push to hard I can negatively affect my recovery. Slow and steady for now, in a few months I think my body will be ready for me to step up my activity....and by a year we will probley both be in a better position. We are lucky to be up and about!!

Okay,

Am I just a big whimp, or did anyone else out there go through the "fear of falling" when using cane, and doing PT exercises that don't allow you to hold onto something/rather just be next to a counter or something in your off balance?

My PT guy says I'm thinking too much about using the muscles. I'm supposed to just do the moves and let my mind send the signals to the muscles. I have never been terribly coordinated, now it seems that just doing a simple leg exercise is comical. Between my muscles not getting the message and my lack of coordination I end up laughing. The most frustrating thing is not to be able to lift my leg up while sitting or lying down. It's like my body is ignoring me. I understand it is normal for this point in my post surgery, but it is still scary.

Hi there~~
I was wondering how you are getting along by now. I ventured out this morning to go to the pool...and with all that water on the floor, I was scared to death of falling! I really don't know how in the heck I would get back up if I did...and what damage I might do~~
I also am having problems with my muscles....try as I might, I just can not lift that leg up in the air while lying on my "good" side. I guess my muscles are not getting my messages either....and oh yes, I am not coordinated also.
Are your muscles getting the message yet?...if so, how did you get them to respond? I am doing PT 5x a week and seeing no results and am getting VERY dishearted. I am 9 weeks out now and should be able to walk without limping like a duck!!.......and I have an inch LLD which I am trying to over-come with shoe lifts, etc....... Wish I had never let him take out this hip...it wasn't bothering me nearly as much as this is now~~~
Good luck~
Phoggie aka Mary
I live in central Kansas....where do you live?

Hi Mary

I felt a bit like you, disheartened - I knew I was doing OK but things just weren't happening fast enough. My Physio says the messages will take some time to reach the muscles because my brain has had them switched off for so long. I'm on my 8th week of physio and go to the pool once a week, started Pilates to help my flexibility & strength and still need my one crutch otherwise I too limp like a duck. I don't feel to have noticed much difference but other people say I am walking more 'natural' and hubby thinks my hip looks much more toned! So I'll keep at it for as long as it takes.

Surely you don't mean you wish you hadn't had it done, just look back and think about WHY you needed it doing in the first place - I'm sure that will make you realise it was worth it. I'm 5 months now, still on one crutch, but NO PAIN in my hip at all - if it means having to use a walking aid for ever I'm happier now than before.

Stick to it, wish you luck Karen xx

I start out patient PT tomorrow. I saw my OS, he said not to worry about still using a cane. I'm starting to be able to lift my leg more. Mostly it's because I'm doing my "leg lift" exercises.

After a month of PT my OS wants to see me again to see if it is working.

I'm trying to be positive. It has only been 1 month, people on other sites have said I'm "soooooo new" as a hip replacement patient. Again, I'm hoping time will heal and help with strength.

If I walk slowly I can do it for a short distance with out a limp. After longer walks my leg gets tierd...

Anyway,
I think we should hang in there, what else can we do. I'll go crazy if I believe I will always sway/limp when I walk. At 47 I will have alot of swaying ahead of me.

Hang in there!

I'm 5 weeks out from a THR, and I while I can walk without a cane or crutches, I have a limp. I spoke to my PT about it and she gave me some good info. She says a limp is caused by weak muscles, which take time to get stronger (no surprise there), but maybe more important, it is caused by your hip drooping when you are standing on your new hip leg.

You can see this if you stand on your "bad" leg while raising your good leg. Your hip on the good side will drop. The goal, my PT says, is to control this drop and keep your hip level when standing on your replaced hip side.

Yes, easier said then done I know, but you can work on this if you try. My PT suggested walking on a treadmill at 0.8 mph and watching your hip in a mirror. I've been working on this, and it has helped. Your goal is to keep your hipbone, on your good side LEVEL while walking.

I've seen several PT's but none have really explained it as simple as this this last PT has, so I thought I would pass this along. Your mileage my vary, but it has helped me a great deal, especially now that I know the real cause.

Mary,

Do you have a leg lenth discrepancy? Did you limp prior to surgery?

I can't stand well enough on my operated leg to get a feel for if my hip drops. My leg isn't strong enough yet.

I've heard that it can take more than a year to get back into step.
Some say that by the 3rd year they feel totally normal and have to fight the feeling to take on activities that could harm their replacement.

If it takes three yrs I'll have to deal with it. I can now straighten my leg which I couldn't due before. I can tie my shoes and put on my socks...

I don't stop and catch my breath from the pain of stepping wrong...
So, am I disappointed that I'm not like some and can walk unassisted at a 4weeks...yes, but everyones road to recovery is different. I'm just going to work at my PT and post phone my negative thoughts for now.

When I feel negative I think about my sister-in-laws boyfriend who has chronic muscular pain throughout his body that they can't figure out. He owns his own business and started it when he was in his 20's so he has never made the choice to get health care. He pays out of pocket and it is lots of money. Since they can't diagnose his illness, he can't get disability medical insurance. He now uses a cane, he went out and bought one with a scull on it. Dark humor, but humor none the less. When I feel disappointed I just think about him and think, I still limp, but at least I can sleep through the night and walk even though assisted without pain. And how blessed I am to have insurance!

Yes, I do have a LLD....an inch! I have built-up shoes and still limping. I was limping before due to the pain in the side of my leg below my knee that he convienced me was coming from the hip......Hip gone...not the pain!!!...so he was wrong on his decision......and now am much worse off than before!!!...and not a bit happy about it!
I am 9 weeks out and doing PT 5x a week as well as home...so I'm trying to work on strengthening my thigh muscles.
Good luck to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
galvesean
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts