FDA: Warning for Tramadol and similar drugs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Debbie, thanks for the post..how much sam-e were you taking?? I take 400 mg about every other day..helps a lot with the pre-op pain.
thanks, Marquesa
 
I started with 200 mg Sam-e a few weeks ago, then went up to two per day. I couldn't tell that it did anything for me, but I am in a pretty good mood. I'd hoped it would help with the pain. Unless I take something to help me sleep, I lie there and toss and turn and then sometimes wake several times in the night. I cut back a couple days ago to one per day and hope I'll be able to sleep. Might have to quit all of it, but I had just ordered a big box and hate to waste all that money lol.
 
Hi Debbie and Pat..about the sam-e...I noticed after I had been taking one 400 and sometimes two 400 mg ..I had a hard time going to sleep..so started researching..there is a web site by a doctor...Dr. Ray Sahelian M.D. who has written a very informative paper about sam-e and it seems that the longer you take it, the less you need to take..some of the side effects of too much are insomnia and nervousness..anyway it's interesting reading. See what you think.

I can buy Tramadol 50 mg over the counter here in Mexico. I have been taking one early in the am, about 6 , and one 400 mg sam-e about every third day, and one Tramadol 50 mg late afternoon. So far it has worked the best for me..even better than the Ultram ER timed release which was unbelievably expensive ( also had to have shipped from US) and seemed to make me a bit tired and unmotivated..has anyone out there had this experience with the Ultram Er 100 mg timed release??
thank you all for such a wonderful exchange of experience and information.
Marquesa
 
I take the Ultram ER 200MG once a day and haven't had any problems. It is expensive and had to pay 165.00 out-of-pocket...not sure why insurance didn't pick up more. My MD isn't too big into giving pain pills as time goes bye... so I figure this is working as I am fairly comfortable, still in pain but I am a lot better than I was pre-surgery so I feel like I will stick with my regime.

My list is very long as to why my insurance company wouldn't do this or that etc.
 
More on the discussion of ultram or tramadol...I am currently taking one 50 mg twice a day and it has helped better than anything for the pre-op pain. and I feel better mentally, not so tired. I know so little about pain medication..could some of you, who have already had surgery, with more experience tell me if your doctor said not to take it right before the surgery??

my surgery packet says to stop all hormone therapy and aspirin based products, vit e, a week before surgery. but nothing about other meds one might be taking.

Everything I read on the net says not to stop taking it suddenly.

Is it an aspirin based product?

I have read that it can be addictive, but is that with very long term use?
Thanks for any information...Josephine? Jamie?

forty more days to go till LTKR.
Marquesa
 
Marquesa, I hope Jo has some information about the drugs, because that is an area I am not able to comment on.....no experience with it. The best I could suggest would be to ask your pharmacist the best way to stop taking it...overnight or taper off.

You do not need to worry about addiction if you are taking pain meds for an extended period of time. Your body needs them because of the pain. It's not the same as someone who uses drugs recreationally. You might have to taper off them when you stop needing them as much, but you won't be addicted. That indicates a psychological dependence as well as a physical one.
 
I only know that I took Tramadol for 3 months regularly - 100mgs x 4 times a day along with 1gram of paracetamol (Tylenol). Had excellent pain relief and no long term effects. Don't worry about it.

And Tramadol is a synthetic morphine and not aspirin based at all.
 
What exactly does 'synthetic' mean in referring to it in the drug sense?

Meanwhile, since I have been traveling the last half week, I didn't take my Ultram for over a day, as I had them buried in stuff. Boy, I had no idea how much it helped me re: pain. I had to find them in the middle of the night last night. I am grateful they give me much relief I need.
 
morphine is made from opium which comes from poppies. Is therefore naturally sourced. Tramadol is made from chemicals and is therefore synthetic or not of nature.
 
Thanks Jo. So why do they use the name synthetic Morphine? Certainly at this point in time Morphine properties not needed. So does it act like Morphine?

I guess what I mean is I associate Morphine as needed for severe surgical pain.
 
Well, apparently it's no quite so sedating or so respiratory depressive as morphine so that's an advantage and neither is it a Schedule 1 controlled drug. But basically, it's just another choice in the armoury and useful when people don't suit other meds like oxycodone, hydrocodone, codeine and such. For instance, I was given codeine and paracetamol when my PCA was removed but it was clearly ineffective so the nurse put me on Tramadol which was better but not as sedating as morphine.
 
SAM-e affects each person differently, because some people naturally produce it, and others are deficient. You will know how deficient you are in it by how great you feel when you take it. But it builds up in your system over time, so you might not feel the fulll effect until after 3 or 4 weeks.

I also take Rhodiola Rosea, which is only grown in Siberia, and is a natural mood lifter. They take it in Siberia to keep from getting depressed in the long winters there. Dr. Mehmet Oz says he puts Rhodiola in his martini.

Together, the two supplements keep me feeling great. Nothing really bothers me anymore when i take them. But the best part is that SAM-e maintains joint cartilage, which we all could use here!

Hop
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Members online

Back
Top Bottom