Facing Fear

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigRed

I have had knee difficulties including kneecap dislocations for over 50 of my 61 years. The physical therapist is now asking me to trust my new knees and do movements that in the past would cause a dislocation. I am having a hard time doing this. She said my fear is interfering with my recovery - and she is probably right. I am trying but it isn't easy. How do I face and overcome my fear?

Visualization, my friend.

I spent much of this recovery visualizing what I wanted from the knee. I wanted, mainly, to surf again. Don't think I wasn't scared. Nevertheless, I got back on a surfboard on Thursday. I felt like I'd never been out of the water! I think the visualization practice helped.

I also have a picture of my new x-rays on my cell phone. Each time I grab my phone, I'm forced to look at the picture of the prosthetic that's inside this joint. For some reason, that x-ray gives me strength. It reminds me that I've got a bionic knee, that my knee can withstand all I want to do to it.

I guess what I want you to get from my reply is that our new knees are opening doors rather than shutting them. You got the knee for a reason. You have to at least give it a chance to prove itself.

I'm note sure how to help you overcome your fear but my doctor said that I made extraordinary progress with my recovery (twice) because I had "no fear" and just stepped onto my knee without any hesitancy. I guess I was too dumb to have fear. I was just so happy to be "done" with the surgery. He said that fear did hold folks back. My best to you.

Hope
LTKR Feb 23, 2009
RTKR June 8, 2009

Big Red I agree. I didnt trust mine to walk on..It took a long time for me to walk. I was so scared. I finally did and yippie they worked and held me up. Its hard to trust them but really nothing can hurt your knees. Trust them. People are doing all kinds of things with there new knees. Ya know you jump right in with both knees. I bet you will be fine.....They are going to work just fine for you. Again I was scared mine wouldnt hold me up.. I was really nervous!!!!!!!!! Good Luck you went thru alot of hard work to get here keep going....Please keep us posted....

Hi
I was not scared to use my new knee, but I do know I hesitated
several times and I had to force myself to use my knee. It was when I went to get off of or out of a chair. I would hesitate, but would tell my self I was being dumb as I had did it before. I would finally do it and now I don't have a problem with hesitating.

But good luck our minds are tricky things.

Time, my friend. Just give it time. You'll find it difficult to undo things learned over years.

And visualize a nice STRONG knee! Think positive thoughts!:thmb:

I think it would be good to realize that the conditions that led to dislocation with your original knee/kneecap have been fixed. The groove is deep enough, the button rides in the groove as intended, and the tendons have been adjusted as needed. The new knee is set up correctly, so it won't dislocate. Thinking about that would help me.

Surf said it well,visualize before you even walk. Test it slowly,prove to yourself all is good. The fear will subside as you prove over and over it's a totally different knee now. The best you have had for many years. Very good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Duffyboy
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom