Exercise fiends and / or Fashionistas

Status
Not open for further replies.

smcct

Hi Gang,

I am 2-weeks out tomorrow! I had my staples out yesterday and am soooo looking forward to a shower today! Here are a few questions that I've been mulling over as I sit hear, quietly recovering and dreaming of my old life...

Exercise Questions:
Before the surgery, and in spite of the pain, I was an avid gym go-er. I took spinning classes and loved to work-out (cardio and wieghts). Since my surgery my PT has gotten me back on the treadmill (approx. 30 min a clip, very slowly), and doing a bunch of leg strengthening. It has gone very well... when did most of you start to return to some more intense work-outs?
Swimming?
Spinning?
Eliptical?
I would love to hear some "typical" timelines from those of you who were in good shape before and how long it took you to resume your pre-surgery workouts?

Fashionistas!
Ok, ok... this may sound silly, but, I have a closet full of fabulous shoes that i love!! When were you back wearing heels? Are there shoes you just can't wear anymore because of the new hip? Is your daily shoe a "solid" shoe and you only save the heals for special times? Seems crazy, but, if I can't return to Jimmy Choo at some point... ahhhhhhh!!! I'll go mad :th_heehee:

Thanks for thoughts on either or both topics!

-Susanne
LTH 2/2/11

as7.tinypic.com_33tl1g8_th.gif
Yeah, we hear ya! It's a girl thing, yes?

Can't give personal experience but this are my recommendations
Swimming - about 8 weeks or so
Spinning - what's that? :pzld:
Elliptical- again, about 8 weeks or so but don't rush at it; start small and build up slowly.

And remember - every recovery is different so none of this may apply - it might take you a lot longer! :wink:

Spinning = excercise bike in class, I used to do that as well before my THR and when I had to give up running. My ortho has me going on excercise bike in about a week and a half (6 weeks out)-- spinning class is a little more intense so I'll have to ask him about that (don't know if 'out of the saddle' will be safe). Also before my THR I was doing hot yoga which I loved (but couldn't do a lot of the postures real well because of my bum hips) but honestly I don't know if I'll ever get back to that, if anyone has I'd love to hear about it.

Can't help you on the high heels question:snk:

Hi Susanne
I also have a large shoe collection and like you I'm wondering if I'll ever get to wear them again!! Since having my op 4 weeks ago I've lived in trainers and flat boots but hoping by the summer I can start to wear some heels again. Will follow this thread to see what advice you get.
Cathy

Darlings, one of the MAJOR reasons I had the THR was I haven't worn heels in 2 years. Priorities, priorities. LOL!

I'm not there yet but my recovery Louboutin's are just a click away.

Jo, spinning is riding a stationary bicycle ridden as if the bats of h*ll were chasing you.

All this will return for you, smcct......at about 8 weeks, if you feel up to it, you can try any or all of the things you mention for short periods and see how you do. Build up slowly (even wearing the heels) and you'll get there.

I had a BTKR, so I can tell you that it took some time for me to really intensely get into spinning and the elliptical machine---Itook it rather slowly. Eight weeks I began to dabble in riding the bike for longer periods of time as well as at more intense RPM's and higher levels. I did it for short periods of time and built up. As for the elliptical, I more or less did the same, but it was a little later on---as I really enjoyed biking and got into the elliptical as a change of pace. Same thing though, I took my time and built up in time and intensity.

You do want to be careful as you do not want to over do it and force yourself into a hiatus.

Tim C.

Thanks all!

I am glad I'm not the only one thinking about shoes :smile:.

I appreciate all the reminders about taking it slow... and I am! Sounds like 8 weeks out is a bit of a turning point, so that is helpful. Of course, I know we are all different. I suspect with me that my body will be up for it physically, but I imagine my energy won't!

I do look forward to being back in those spin classes, though. And, after a shower, some great new shoes!

-Susanne

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
IceWalker