TKR erichknipp's Recovery Thread

@erichknipp You will definitely get mixed reviews on this. Personally, I had good success with this back in 2015-16 after an MUA and again after a Microfracture in 2018. However, I say this with a warning attached!!! :) Any progress can easily be undone, and mine WAS undone the next day at my PT appointments, as they wanted more/more/more---and that was 3 days a week for 2-3 hrs each time. When it became only me doing the static stretches, I saw more improvement. I had to find that fine line between too much and too little though, and it wasn't easy. Keep in mind my body isn't happy with letting the knee do 100% of its own rehab and just doing ADLs like many here do..... I DO have a scarring problem (unlike most people), so my body always needs a bit of help when it comes to regaining motion.:groan:

If you are doing this static stretching and gaining ground with no rebound swelling, I say do what your body needs and likes. It will backfire for a lot of people like me, but one never knows till they try. It would be VERY counterproductive though to keep doing it if your reward is an afternoon/evening of more bend, only to wake up stiffer and more swollen tomorrow. If this static stretching is needed every single day, that's a hint it's NOT helping long-term...and in fact is likely keeping you swollen.

So yeah---some people will see results, and you know your body better than we do. Just remember sometimes time really is the only solution, and your body will let you know if that's the case. :)

It has been awhile since I checked in. Relative to what I read on here I think that my recovery is going very well. We will be at 4 weeks tomorrow. I can walk 3000-4000 steps a day, extension is 0 and flexion is up to 114 as measured by the PT folks. I maxed out the CPM machine on my static stretches at 120 degrees over the weekend. I will be returning it tomorrow.

There are still challenges. If I overdo it I know it the next day because of swelling and pain. I am still icing overnight and several times a day, probably for 10-12 hours in total each day. I returned to work part-time (from home) this week, but outside of the mornings I am still on narcotics (hydrocodone). The knee still hurts quite a bit! In the last couple of days I have also started to get a rash just above and to the side of the incision. These are big knots that look like bugbites, but I know they're not bugbites. We are going to put some cortisone cream on there tonight and hopefully that will take care of it. I will admit to being afraid of the rare allergic reaction as it seems to start this way, based on what I've read. Self-diagnosing on the internet is dangerous.

@erichknipp I used to get a lot of allergies around my incision but was advised against using cortisone creams, instead I took a anti-histamine tablet and this usually did the trick, I also used a ointment called Itch Relief from E45 not sure if this is available from where you are, but you are best to ask your pharmacist or Doctor I'm sure they can advise you best. I also found putting a ice cooler on my knee helped too. Stay away if you can from Dr.Internet not only is it alarming usually but usually full of false facts.
Hope it clears up soon for you as there is nothing worse than an itch :censored: :gaah::heehee:

Hope the rash is better. Outside of that, it sounds like you are doing really well! I have major bend envy! Lol

How is work going? I’m jumping back into that on Monday. I have mixed feelings but I think it’s time to get going again, especially since I’ll just be sitting here at home anyway.

Work is fine, it’s just that 4 hours is gone before you know it. I manage a team of 23 (with help) so all I am doing in those half days is check in with the team and keep up with email. That’s really all there is time for.

Yeah, sounds about right! My motivation for starting again is to support my team and make sure things keep moving forward.

Hi all! It has been a long time since I have logged in, mostly because my recovery has gone so well. I am nearly 3 months out and just about to finish my final PT appointment tomorrow. I'm doing great! I've gotten back into the habit of 10-15 mile daily bike rides, and I will resume weightlifting next week. My PT folks measure my extension consistently between 3-5 degrees and flexion between 120-125 degrees. There is still some soft tissue swelling that will subside over time, but I have every reason to believe I will get to a full range of 0-130 or better over the next 6-9 months as I continue to heal. This forum was very helpful in seeing the recoveries of others. I also appreciate that I was in the fortunate majority of patients not to have any complications. I am so grateful for that.

My personal lessons learned from all of this can be summarized as follows:
1. Do everything you can to strengthen your quads before you get the surgery as they atrophy quickly and are extremely important in your recovery. PT focused more on quad flexibility and strength than anything else.
2. Push yourself hard in PT - to the maximum discomfort (NOT pain) that you can tolerate. You will get great at delineating the boundary between discomfort and pain. It is important that you understand that while discomfort is your friend, because it means you're making progress, pain is your enemy, because it means you will set yourself back. When I pushed myself too hard I regretted it. At the same time I saw other (if I am honest, the majority) patients in PT that seemed to barely register any discomfort and they were not making quick improvements like I was. To each his own of course, and every person has his or her own tolerance for discomfort and pain.
3. Don't do it alone! The first 2-4 weeks you will be a miserable wreck and need tons of help from someone who cares enough about you to overlook what will often be snippy behavior. My wife is an angel. There's absolutely no way I would have made such fast progress without her support.

Good luck to everyone going down this path. I wouldn't wish it on anyone, but the end result is worth it, if you do the work.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Lizardtails
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom