Guest viewing is limited

TKR Emotional rollercoaster

I knew the PTs had pushed on my dad and friend when they had their TKRs. Both described the pain to me, so I watched the PT like a hawk and really didn’t let anyone handle my knee at all. I used a leg lifter to get it up/down instead of allowing anyone else to do it.
 
So sorry to hear of your infection. Best wishes to you and a quick recovery.
 
charbear doesn't have an infection, @kbueno44 . I wonder if you posted in the wrong thread by accident?
 
Went to see my Dr today for 6 week check up. Went in feeling pretty good, bend is between 95 to 97, depending on stiffness and extension is 2... But I guess That's not good. He wanted me at 115 and 0... Never asked how I was feeling, sleeping, etc. He said I need a manipulation. At 6 weeks? I feel defeated. Got him to hold off on manipulation for now. I go back in 4 weeks. I've been crying since I left.
 
Oh no @charbear I’m really sorry to hear this. I think it sounds like you are doing well. I had my operation on same day and I have a 54 degree bend. I have my OS appointment today.

They can’t make you have the manipulation. You have 4 weeks until review but please don’t be aggressive with it as it will get more swollen.

This journey is def a rollercoaster. Sending big hugs.
 
@charbear I am 110 - 112 and 0 at 9 weeks. Read more Bonesmart before you make a decision. The advice is invaluable. Read all about ROM. I was panicking about it and becoming obsessed. I posted one of first positive messages in a long time today. Bonesmart saved my sanity
 
Went in feeling pretty good, bend is between 95 to 97, depending on stiffness and extension is 2... But I guess That's not good. He wanted me at 115 and 0... Never asked how I was feeling, sleeping, etc. He said I need a manipulation. At 6 weeks? I feel defeated. Got him to hold off on manipulation for now. I go back in 4 weeks. I've been crying since I left.
Your surgeon is an impatient soul! What a shame he wasn't more encouraging, because you are doing just fine.
Don't let his unrealistic expectations bring you down. There are people here who will be very envious of such a good ROM at your stage of recovery.

A bend of 95-97 at 6 weeks is excellent and an extension of 2 is also pretty good.
Most surgeons only expect 90 degrees by 6 weeks, so you are actually ahead of the game.

There's no need to rush to get ROM (Range of Motion) because it can continue to improve for a year, or even much longer, after a knee replacement. There isn't any deadline you have to meet:
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR

I'm so glad you said no to the MUA (Manipulation) - you don't need it and you won't need it in 4 weeks' time. It will be an unnecessary surgery that only sets back your progress.
MUA: the ineffectiveness of early MUA (JBJS)

No one can force you to have a manipulation. It's your knee and you have the right to choose what happens to it. No one can do anything to it without your consent:
CONSENT: what it means and how it can be used
Saying no to therapy - am I allowed to?
 
I have read a lot on Bonesmart, which is why I was feeling really good. It is just hard to hear that it wasn't enough for him. But I know I'm getting better, I was able to do full rotations on my recumbent bike today.

Thank you for your support.
 
It is just hard to hear that it wasn't enough for him. But I know I'm getting better, I was able to do full rotations on my recumbent bike today.
Try to think of that this way: Whether you pay directly or through your insurance, you pay your surgeon. You are the boss and he is your employee. You don't have to please him. He has to please you.

You're really making excellent progress. Congratulations on making a complete revolution on the bike! :yes!: :santaclap: :dancing:
 
Don't listen to that ole sourpuss OS of yours. I can't believe it's not happy with your ROM! Don't let him bring you down. You should be thrilled! Most would love to have your ROM at 6 weeks! Do you think he just might want some extra Christmas $$, and a MUA is a quick and easy way for him to get it? If so, shame on him.
 
If you've made it past 90 you are well on your way. Congrats on the full rotation! :upright:
 
I had a similar experience with my surgeon at my 18 week check up.

Early in my recovery my rom numbers were good, but I was never measured bending on my own, it was always with the PT or OS pushing me to a painful place.

At my 10 week check up I was pushed to 128, but I definitely did not have the function of a number like that, but of course my OS was very happy. I left very happy!

At my 18 week check, he was “only” able to push me to 124. It really hurt that time and I was breathing more heavily because he held it there. Twice I told him it was too far but he didn’t release my leg. So the heavier breathing might have been because I was getting angry.

And guess what. He was concerned because it was only 124. Seriously? For a 4 degree difference? I still did not have the function of a number that high. He finally released my leg, then bent it again and called it 128. We wouldn’t want to record a lower number 8 weeks later, now would we. :blackcloud: I left very discouraged and angry.

3 days later I hurt my knee and had a 2 month set back and could hardly bend my knee for those 2 months.

I worried for 3 months about my next appointment and how he would not like my bend. Thanks to the encouragement of Bonesmart, at that next appointment, at 7 months post op, I did not let him force my knee. I didn’t get up on the table but stayed seated in a chair and told him I wanted to do it myself, and he was ok with that. I told him about my set back. My bend, on my own (for the first time) that day was 114, and better than I expected. He was fine with it, too.

I left that appointment encouraged!

I don’t think they have any idea how much their approval/disapproval affects us.

But, yes, you are doing great!!!:loveshwr:
 
I’m sure your ROM will improve in 6 weeks. Please remember that ROM can improve up to a year, mine was over a year. Truly this recovery is not a sprint, it’s a marathon. Pacing and patience is vital, especially with an OS making demands on you. Ice, elevate, rest that new knee has much as you can with short walks and maybe a few minutes on a bike.
 
today was a much better day. I did have PT, which they have been great. They never push me beyond my tolerance. I was able to get to 105 degrees with no pushing by pt. I wanted to call my OS right then.

No worries, I won't over do it. I plan on icing, elevating, and resting this weekend. And if we do some shopping I'll get pushed in a wheel chair, my daughter loves to do that, although it makes me nervous., she's only 8.

I appreciate this forum very much. You all are very supportive and helpful.
 
Hello again. Its been a busy month for me. I went back to school at 9 weeks post op. Knowing that I needed to ease back into it I was greatful for snow days and a couple of meetings. I had 3 weeks of only 2 to 3 day work weeks. I do elevate at school and take ice also.
I do come home and elevate and ice. How long is recommended for icing at 12 weeks? And is it common to have soreness and pain still?
 
@charbear you are doing so well. Congrats and going back to work, good for you too. You will know what feels best for elevating and icing. Days are different along with your activities.
I must say that I have had an unusual experience this time with PT. It happened that a student PT observed my operation. Last week, he was able to inform me that there were a few different things that happened in my surgery due to the degree of valgus I had and that has explained to me why my leg/knee hurts in different places. I was hoping my bend would be better by now, but I have to hold the front of my knee to scoot my foot further back doing heal slides. I know it will be ok, time helps it all.
I did have the PT try to push on my leg during a measurement and I'm one of the more "vocal" patients they have - if it's hurting I may be huffing and puffing or saying oooo or oww, or other vocalizations, so when they tried to push my leg, a big loud NO came out.....
Do what feels best for you. We are all so different in healing. Keep up the good work of getting stronger.
 
Ice as long as you need to. I went back to school part time (mornings only) at 12 weeks and iced/elevated most of the afternoon at home. My knee was so uncomfortable I also iced on the drive home by sticking an ice pack up pant leg.

It is normal to have soreness and pain at 12 weeks because it can take a whole year before feeling 100% better. This came straight from my OS. Plus, you’ve really added to your activity level by returning to work, so your knee is reacting to that additional activity. I began to feel less pain and swelling slowly as time went on. Seven months post op I went on a field trip with my first graders, climbing bus steps numerous times and I felt well enough to still ride my bike at the end of the day. So it will come, just give it time.
 
Back
Top Bottom