Guest viewing is limited

Hip Infection* Don’t Give Up! - My long journey

I’m going to copy Layla. The slightest improvement is reason to celebrate. Just how accurate is that statement? I totally agree with you. I’m sure you see slight improvement, now it may not be everyday, but often none the less. Gotta hang your hat on those milestones or victories. It is what motivates us to keep on keeping on. God Bless!
 
@Up once again
I laugh every time I think about my toilet escapade.. now that it's over. Lol. I've done some wild, wooly things in my life but this one tops 'em all. Definitely a good story to tell, the hip ordeal is getting kinda old to talk about anymore, lol.
 
My journey started in 2017. It finally ended 2023 17 total surgeries, 3 explants, 9 wound vacs, 8 PICC lines. sepsis 3.5 years in a wheelchair. I can walk now but only about 6-8 blocks. I have terrible muscle loss in my thigh.

Hip works good now. I walked with my granddaughter for the first time last summer. No matter how hard it is. No matter how much you want to give up, DON'T. I know it's horribly hard. But if I can do it, so can you.
I ended up with Type 2 Diabetes, I used to have a 7.8 A1C, now it's 5.1.

I aspirated during the 9th surgery and did a wonderful... (NOT) 4 days on life support and a little over 2 weeks in the hospital. Never give up. Just when I thought I was going to lose my leg because the infection kept coming back. A doctor, who was a Plastic Surgeon, was consulted to fix my scar and flush the leg. I was in the hospital for 10 days, 7 of those days were with an open 24-inch wound that was packed and sealed, and flushed 24/7 with antibiotics deep in the bone.

I am, (knock on wood), infection free but on Antibiotics, (maybe for life), for chronic suppression. After this procedure, I went another 8 months with no hip. I finally got my 8th hip in August 2022. If I make it to the 2-year mark without an infection, (August of 24), it's a milestone. So last Oct 2023 I had received my total reverse shoulder. It went perfect. But imagine trying to walk with a walker and crutches, let alone pushing yourself in a wheelchair with a shoulder that had 3 tears over 50%, bone on bone and arthritic. I'm no stranger to pain now. But I am so thankful I never gave up. I wouldn't be able to play with my granddaughter or walk with my wife.

I can walk around the house again, but I just have to go slower, take my time and be careful. If anyone wants to chat, PM me. I just joined, so I'm not sure what they allow, but I'm an advocate. God Bless and never stop pushing and trying. I learned more about myself in that time than I did in 55 years. I was even blessed with a sarcoma tumor in that same leg, but I caught it early and beat it. Best wishes...

Greg

P.S. I apologize if I grossed anybody out. It was not my intention.
Wow, I think I will stop whining about my piddly tkr that didn't go great. You have an admirable spirit & resolve!! I think many folks would have given up!!
Anytime I am having a pity party for myself I will remind myself of your struggle &tell my self to be quiet!! Keep on keeping on , you might just have a big Red S on your chest sir!!
 
Hey @Up once again what a story and great to see you so positive after such experiences! I am approaching 3 and a half years since my accident and hip replacement and am still on crutches so to hear there was light at the end of your tunnel helps massively!!! Keep sharing your story and enjoy those walks hand in hand with your granddaughter x
 
@I'vegotthis!

I can appreciate your pain as well! Never give up. This August will mark 2 years infection free. I'm doing more and more around the house. I went to the chiropractor and he noticed my gate was off and I explained how my SI joint was sore on the surgery side. He was able to adjust the SI and gave me a 1/8th lift for my left show. WOW what a difference that made. Every inch/step is a mile marker and worth celebrating. Keep up the good fight and thanks for reaching out.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom