Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral TKR DJL1967 BTKR Recovery Journey

Well, I went skiing for the first time in 5 years and 18 months post op BTKR and it felt so good to be back on skis again. That first turn was like I had never missed a day, felt so natural that I didn't really think too much of my knees. Conditions for this time of year are fabulous and snow was not too soft so fairly easy to complete turns without using too much edge.

I did 6 runs on Saturday and 8 on Sunday. My left knee was 100% with zero pain but the right knee I had some discomfort under the patella and towards the medial side of the knee. No swelling or stiffness and it didn't stop me from doing anything as when I got home I did 20 minutes on the treadmill and some stretching, it's just an uncomfortable feeling that I think will improve as I get stronger. I have had issues all along with the right knee so I figured it would be the one to give me attitude.

This morning I have no pain, can squat, do lunges and walk up/down stairs without any issues. All in all I am extremely happy to be back skiing as this was the last thing on my list to do before I said I'm 100%.

For anyone on the fence about knee replacement surgery, well for me it was a game changer and I now have my life back again.
 
I would say at the 12 month mark is where I noticed a substantial change in my ability to make it through a day without thinking of my knees. It is a surreal feeling when you can just go about your movements throughout the day
That is so encouraging to read your story.
I am at 5 and a half months and walking well but still have occasional pain and evening stiffness/ warmth.
Great to hear that you have carried on improving and now back to 100%. Thanks for posting.
 
Well skiing is done for the year and skis are put away but boy am I glad that I had the chance to get out a few times to end the season. I have tried to add a short clip of my very first turns post BTKR but for whatever reason it won't accept the formats I am using.

However, I am looking so forward to the start of next season.
 
Thank you for sharing your journey with us. Your story is indeed encouraging. I am currently T-6 days for my RTKR .
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom