TKR Dilemma with knee. Help!

Me again, my mysterious rash seems to be subsiding after my ortho told me to use benedryl and anticortisone cream.

Now I’m having another issue. Over the weekend, my knee had felt very stiff almost to the point that I couldn’t bend it very well. I have been elevating and icing it, but didn’t seem to be helping. Against my PT, I decided to put a little heat on my knee. I only did this twice today and only for about 5 minutes each time. This has helped with the swelling. It significantly went down. But now I feel that the pain is much worse. How could this be? I thought for sure, it would feel better now that the swelling has been reduced.

Last edited by a moderator:
And yes, I know I’m supposed to post to my original thread, but I couldn’t figure out how to change the subject line or how to edit my post. Sorry.

You are only around 6 weeks out from your surgery, you are still in the angry soft tissue stage.
Most start feeling better around 3 months, some sooner, some later. Heat causes the blood vessels to dilate, and could be causing the pain you are having.
Suggest you try icing the back of your knee, where most of the nerves pass through.
Are you taking your pain medication, pain can also cause swelling.

Glad to hear your rash is better.

You are only around 6 weeks out from your surgery, you are still in the angry soft tissue stage.
Most start feeling better around 3 months, some sooner, some later. Heat causes the blood vessels to dilate, and could be causing the pain you are having.
Suggest you try icing the back of your knee, where most of the nerves pass through.
Are you taking your pain medication, pain can also cause swelling.

Glad to hear your rash is better.

How can I change the subject line?

Just post the new title you want in your next post, a moderator will update it for you.

I am taking Tramadol, but my script says only every 12 hours. Taking Motrin 800’s every 8 hrs along with Tylenol. I don’t feel that the pain meds are helping much. Dr gave me Neurontin, but was causing involuntary twitching throughout my body.

You'll notice that I have merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread. For several reasons, we prefer that you only have one recovery thread:
  • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
So please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here. If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.
If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.
How to tag another member; how to answer when someone tags you

Here are the instructions on finding your thread, How can I find my threads and posts? . Many members bookmark their thread, so they can find it when they log on.

Here is a suggest schedule for taking tamadol and Tylenol (paracetamol). Sounds like you are under medicated.
Dilemma with knee. Help!

Kellygirl,
Try bookmarking your thread so you can easily find it.

Can you change subject line to “swelling down, but increasing pain.”

I've changed your thread title as you requested.

Sent from my Venue 7 3730 using Tapatalk

Hi @kelleygirl. I had my TKR Dec 27 and have some of the same issues as you. ROM, stiffneness, pain on stretching, especially medially as if it’s tugging on scar tissue. Was wondering what your surgeon says?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi hood1980,

I haven’t seen my doctor since my post op appointment. My next appointment in Feb 21st. My flexion uis only at 85 degrees and my extension at -6 degrees. We have changed up a few things at PT. They now have me walking without cane. And also been doing some isometrics. I have had some medial pain going on. They are massaging my knee a lot, which helps a little. The most painful exercise is when they put a bolster under my knee and with leg extensions. Those are so painful.

My doctor said I should be at 95 degrees by the time I go to my next appointment. I’m afraid what he will do if I don’t get there. I have been religiously exercising, stretching, icing, heating, elevating and massaging at home. My knee just doesn’t seem to want to budge. It feels like there is a wall inside my knee that I can’t break through.

I was thinking of trying acupuncture. Has anyone tried that?

Or maybe laser treatments to break up scar tissue?

I have been religiously exercising, stretching, icing, heating, elevating and massaging at home. My knee just doesn’t seem to want to budge. It feels like there is a wall inside my knee that I can’t break through.
This is your knee's problem. You can not exercise your knee into a good bend. Your knee is still an infant and needs to be treated very gently. You must not have read the articles left for you, if you had, you'd know that too much exercising causes swelling and pain. You should never do anything that causes either of these. It's also too early to be using heat on your knee. That too causes swelling. Even if you can't see swelling, that tightness is swelling inside your knee. That's keeping it was bending any more than it is.

I wouldn't try acupuncture or laser on my knee, but that's just me. I think you need to stop all exercises and PT and just use your knee the way it was created to be used. Use it around the house in your daily activities. Stop stressing over it. Stress increases pain.

If your OS isn't happy, he still can't do anything without your approval. Your baby knee has a long way to go before it's healed. Please be patient, and stay in control of what happens to your knee including no one pulling or pushing your leg.

Thanks for the update @kelleygirl. I have less ROM than you and I am trying not to stress about it. I have stopped doing any home exercises, just ADLs. Doing my first load of laundry today! Yippee! I’m 6 weeks out and go back to my surgeon on Feb 20th. At my 4 week check up we discussed having an MUA, so we’ll see soon if that’s in my future. I have made no progress in ROM since leaving the hospital whether I do exercises and PT or not. I do lots of icing and elevating....basically all day and some of the night long.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Feb 21st is quite far away in tkr recovery terms--you may yet hit your OS target by letting the knee continue to heal.

Keep working toward your goal!! Don't push it to the point of pain and you will heal rapidly!

I know it’s been a long time since I posted. I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on what to do. I had a TKR Dec 18, 2017. Had a horrible recovery. My knee is still in constant pain. Very swollen and gets stiff as a board after about 1/2 hour of walking. I have a very demanding job as a gate supervisor for a major airline. I haven’t been able to return to work yet. On May 7th, I had a MUA. Ever since, my knee seems worse off. Now my shin area aches and I feel sharp stabbing pain in my knee off and on. I also have a hard time sleeping. I have had 50 PT sessions since Dec. My ROM stinks. I am so afraid that I will not be able to do my job.

I do have an appointment at a different OS. He is highly recommended. I couldn’t get an appointment until Aug.

Has anyone had this much trouble.

Kellygirl, you'll notice that I joined your new thread to your old recovery thread. Please continue to post any updates or questions about this knee here in this thread. That way we have your entire history at hand.

I see you haven't posted since February. That's a lot of time. In order to best advise you, we'll need to know what has transpired with your recovery during this time. For starters, what were you doing in terms of therapy and activity that led up to the MUA?

I have been exercising everyday at home and also at PT. My PT has consisted of strength, as well as massage, stretches, heat, Ice and stem. I’m not sure what else your asking. I still have 7 more therapy visits and also have joined the next step program at my PT clinic. I did also have water therapy 2 times in the last 2 weeks.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member