TKR Difficulty straightening leg while walking

Sara61, I too get sore doing a few extensions stretches. How long ago was your surgery? Sitting on the floor is something I didn’t even attempt until about week 7, I think! It is quite entertaining to those around me, because I inch my way down, and to get up, I crawl up the side of furniture or something because that’s easiest! Lol
 
I'm at week 7 ( surgery 10/10) but I don't think I have the courage to get on the floor just yet - think I need to build up muscle strenght in my arms first as I would need to pull myself up off it ... or worse still have to call for assistance ...lol
Have you knelt down yet ?
 
My first therapist (the one who pushed and bent me til I screamed) had me kneel on a pillow and hold it for 5 minutes. However, when I switched therapists, my new one said to absolutely NOT do that, (at this point) because of the amount of pressure it put on my joint! (I still have swelling and pain issues) Each therapist has such different opinions! In my daily living, I did kneel on the knee once while making up my son’s bed. I knelt on the soft bed so it didn’t hurt, it just felt strange.
 
Is it “normal” at 12 weeks post-op to still have a lot of stiffness in the knee, and frequent low pain (maybe a 1-2, on a scale)? I do gentle exercises throughout the day to try and keep it loose and stretched, but it’s always stiff.
 
I am 11 weeks and if I stay in any one position to long (the knee knows). The next step is like I never had the TKR!

The knee has taught me to MOVE IT. Standing seems to be the biggest issue, I always move the knee and Do a straight leg stretch before I get up, which helps.

I am still reminding myself (out loud even :heehee: ) "heel, toe, walk through...that's it, well done!" Habit makes me try to walk like I did before replacement, especially when tired.

Don't let family or OS say you are behind! The knee is in charge!
 
I much prefer sitting with my knees bent feet on the floor and can do this for hours...however standing straight in one position after 5 minutes is absolute hell, I have no trouble moving /walking at all ...but standing still is just not comfortable and then it hurts to bend and then become all stiffy too - funny thing this new knee of mine.
 
@NewToMe @TheSloth @Sara61
I have experienced all the same things! Agh. I think that’s also why I have trouble sleeping, because my knee gets uncomfortable if I don’t move it!
It is hard to tolerate elevating and icing for long periods, because it makes my knee even more stiff, and harder to resume activities after! Plus I’m just a busy body, and don’t like being still for long! Lol
I always want to be doing something! I, too, can’t stand very long, like cooking at the stove or standing at kitchen sink... these simple things are really painful for me after a few minutes. But I can walk for an hour (slowly), and no pain!
 
@Jessi’snujoint
Well hopefully all this moving around will keep off the weight ha ha - standing at the cooker likewise is soo uncomfortable and in bed at night I move constantly so much so my DH has moved into another bedroom :heehee:
 
Haha, yes, I’ve lost 10 Lbs. since surgery. The only upside so far!:happydance: My poor dear husband temporarily moved to the guest bedroom too, because I’m up throughout the night!
 
Haha, yes, I’ve lost 10 Lbs. since surgery. The only upside so far!:happydance: My poor dear husband temporarily moved to the guest bedroom too, because I’m up throughout the night!
Ok, I am the one in the guest room! Tried to sleep with hubby last night and to uncomfortable to move around, but knee was cranky all day.

Both @jessi'snujoint @Sara61 I can totally relate to move move move even at night!

No weight loss or gain mainly because hubby can cook! I did more cooking type activities on Thursday, which is probably why knee has been cranky. I would stand and chop, then walk a lap in kitchen, chop some more....drove hubby batty:rotfl::dancy:

Btw, went to a friend's house and took my cane. SO GLAD I DID! They have short toilets! Beware!
 
Is it “normal” at 12 weeks post-op to still have a lot of stiffness in the knee, and frequent low pain (maybe a 1-2, on a scale)? I do gentle exercises throughout the day to try and keep it loose and stretched, but it’s always stiff.
Yes, it's perfectly normal.. After all, you are only a quarter of the way through this year-long recovery.

You said you're a busy person. With all the activities of daily living that you're probably doing in your normal day, I think it's not necessary to add exercises as well.
Try cutting out the exercises - you won't lose any ROM - and see if it makes any difference.


I, too, can’t stand very long, like cooking at the stove or standing at kitchen sink... these simple things are really painful for me after a few minutes. But I can walk for an hour (slowly), and no pain!
That's also normal. So many people here on BoneSmart have commented that they can do supermarket shopping all right, but standing in the checkout line is really painful for their knees.
 
Update on my recovery. I’m excited to say that after reducing my exercises (mainly by reducing number of repetitions, and stopping at the point when I felt I’d gotten the full benefit of the stretch, and didn’t need to keep pushing it) for the last week, that not only have my exercises been more pleasant, I also gained 5 degrees in ROM! In 6 days I went from 112 to 117 flexion. I’d been between 110-112 for about 3 weeks. I know it’s not all about the numbers, but mostly about being able to use the knee in every day living. But the increase in ROM is encouraging after being stuck for quite awhile!
Thank you BoneSmart folks! Your advice is spot on!
Also, I talked with my therapist yesterday about difficulty straightening my leg when walking (although my extension is 0). He confirmed what I thought, that my quad muscles are just still very weak. As I build them, it will help me in pushing the knee back when walking. Time to start strength training more, a little more each day!
 
Is it “normal” at 12 weeks post-op to still have a lot of stiffness in the knee, and frequent low pain (maybe a 1-2, on a scale)? I do gentle exercises throughout the day to try and keep it loose and stretched, but it’s always stiff.
Hey Jessi,

I loathe and hate the word "normal". lol probably because all my life (59 years) I've always been a little left of center.

I had my left tkr 2 years ago and I'm now preparing for my right. my left knee still gets the 'stiffies" now and then. I was a really really slow healer, thankfully my surgeon used many other metrics to gauge my progress.

Now unfortunately/fortunately depending on how you feel about exercise, lol I've come to the conclusion that I will always have to exercise my leg. IMO it's a huge difference when I take a few weeks off. just riding an elliptical two or three times a week makes a difference. My knees always stiffen up over night. first thing in the morning is a comedy routine getting things moving. hang in there.
 
Back
Top Bottom