THR Diary of my journey to happy times

Happy Hipaversary! Your crumble sounds delicious! Due to a rather significant oven fire last night it is being cleaned today so stove top only here. The fire was my fault. I had stupidly started to grab something out of the oven last week with melted butter in it and had no glove on so dropped it and promptly forgot all about it until I can actually hear the flames from the livingroom last night. Pan seared halibut tonight, yummers!
 
Heck, pan seared @Carriemay60 !

I’m not a cook at all ( crumble topping courtesy of Sainsbury’s, yes, I know, not hard to make, but I am lazy). But it did taste nice, I added some chopped fresh ginger so I think that makes me a tiny bit of a foodie.
 
Day 122 ( yesterday). I walked down our steep stairs at home with alternating feet! Because I forgot I couldn’t. I went back upstairs and down again, to make sure it wasn’t a fluke.

This is an important milestone for me, particularly because as a bellringer I hold up all the other ringers. Everyone is nice about it, but it is a hassle.

But while it is great to see measurable progress, it doesn’t indicate that stair climbing is back to normal. Going up, it feels like step on right, heave myself upwards on left, step heave, step heave... At the end of an active day my left leg is too tired to play so I revert to toddler style. Spiral staircases in towers mostly remain toddler style in both directions because the steps are very high and uneven, they tend to have 50 or so in a run without a landing, and handrails are non existent or improvised ( eg a rope hanging down). Occasionally there is a run of normal size steps and then I go up, not down, alternating for a bit.
 
I added some chopped fresh ginger so I think that makes me a tiny bit of a foodie.
The fact that you have fresh ginger makes you a tiny bit of a foodie. :heehee: Nice add to your crumble - ginger can really take lots of things to a whole new level.

Well done on your home steps. I can certainly understand the tower steps being done toddler style and actually thinking about it, I am even more amazed at how early you have reclaimed this hobby.
 
Well the ginger has been in the fruit bowl for at least a month since my last stir fry, so that’s an incy wincy ultra tiny bit of a foodie. It was remarkably fresh, I suppose because it’s a living root. I could say the same about potatoes, they always seem to sprout before I get to them.

Day 123: I had my second outing with Max. This arrangement is going to test whether I have the commitment for my own dog. I had to get up a good hour or so before I normally crawl from my bed, it was cold, and Max has a talent for doing his very messy business at the part of the walk which is furthest from the dog poo bin. He lives about.8 of a mile away so it is a good walk there and back to his house, plus we found a walk by the river which was very pleasant and which I’d never known was there. He is a sweetheart but like @HertsHippy’s dog, a lot of the time with him is standing watching him sniff, and I can see myself getting bored. But it got me out of bed and out of the house which is a major reason for considering a dog of my own.

By the end of the walk home my knee was really complaining, although it settled with ice and I could walk to the hairdresser in the afternoon ok. By the end of each day I am pretty exhausted and stiff all over, it’s like I am super active at the gym every day when actually I’m doing nothing but walk and gardening and a bit of housework and ringing, ie normal life. I know, I know, I’ve been on other people’s threads preaching the virtues of patience so I should take my own advice and celebrate all the things I can do and the freedom from hip pain.
 
Ha ha!
Happy Hipaversary! Your crumble sounds delicious! Due to a rather significant oven fire last night it is being cleaned today so stove top only here. The fire was my fault. I had stupidly started to grab something out of the oven last week with melted butter in it and had no glove on so dropped it and promptly forgot all about it until I can actually hear the flames from the livingroom last night. Pan seared halibut tonight, yummers!
My hubby set fire to the cooker hood by flambeing scallops with Pernod and a bit too enthusiastic with the Pernod. Result? A hot glow spreading across the cooker hood (full of fat, flames shooting across to our lovely wooden cabinets and flat roofed ceiling. Arrrrrrrrrgh! Luckily hubby knew where the fire extinguisher was.

Smoke damage so repainting and one new cooker hood later. Lesson learnt ( I make him clean out the filters for perpituity ;-))
 
To be fair, we do fall in love with our own dogs, they wrap themselves around our hearts and everything they do is adorable (or that is the theory :heehee:) My husband gets very fed up with Truffles snooping about and not actually walking but that's her breed. I have a friend who got her first ever dog in her mid 50's. A mini poodle/shitzu mix. Not well trained for her yappiness but Tina loves her to bits and that little dog will walk for miles happily!
 
Yup. Our conservatory is through from the kitchen so I was watching from a safe distance with a mobile phone in hand and the exit door very near! Glad hubby put it out but it is the way the fire was slowly spreading that terrified me as I thought any minute it could accelerate. 30 year plus marriage and not one of its better moments!!.
 
@Klassy love the fact that your dog is slower than you!

Yes, normal activities can wear us out but at least they are “ normal” and relatively pain free. Happy “dog walking weekend”!
 
@Fairydell - hopefully Skate was with back butter and possibly capers. We are slumming it tomorrow with hake and cockles but to celebrate improving mobility have booked into a Michelin 3* with John Dory on the tasting menu.

@Klassy - glad you are enjoying Max - like you we found dog walking helped us find places which we would not have gone to otherwise. And you are discovering dog owners don’t have lazy long lie ins.
 
Love the off topic fishy posts! We all be off to France shortly and John Dory or Fillet St Pierre is on the menu of a very good restaurant we have been going to for years. Sadly I don’t like John Dory. I don’t know why?!
 
@Klassy and well done in the aternate downward steps. That takes a while to come back so you are doing great!
 
I heard this week @Klassy that bell ringing is being considered to be reclassified as a sport!
So your obviously getting back into sport if not yet able to do alternating stairs.
I cannot remember when I was able to do this as didnt work on it just happened.
It will for you too.:egypdance:
Leg discrepancy causing me probs at present and experimenting with heel insoles to avoid back pain. Grrr
Feeling fed up for no apparent reason but reminding myself it will pass.
Take care
 
Back
Top Bottom