Guest viewing is limited

Knee Infection* Delayed Prosthetic Joint Infection

Hi @Jockette . My leg was not misaligned. My extension was not good with all the swelling and pain. My knee joint would not lay straight. Despite PT it would not budge. I walked with a limp and my alignment was off. Removal of the prosthetic and placement af the spacer has allowed the knee to lay straight. Less pain and no limp. I feel more aligned.
 
Thank you @Jah Row for your reply. I am hanging in there.
The PICC line was removed today. The Dr wants me to take an oral antibiotic for 2 weeks since my CRP is still a little high. It may be from my rheumatoid athritis and not the infection. So he wants me to take it a little bit longer. It feels so good to have the line out. I developed a rash around it and it itches. Hopefully it will clear in the next few days. I feel free not having to administer the medication 3 x a day. I am moving forward . Thank you all for your support.
 
Checking in at two months to date since the first stage of your revision. :wave:
Great news on PICC line removal and hopefully you're off the antibiotics now also, waiting to retest in a couple months. Will lift a prayer for a successful retest showing no infection. Please keep us posted. We're here for support always. I hope you have a pleasant weekend, Jday.
@Jday
 
Hi @Layla . Thank you for checking in. I appreciate the support. I finished the antibiotics a week ago. The infection seems to be gone and my CRP level has gone down substantially. My knee is swollen but not like it used to be. My appetite has definitely returned....lol. I have good days and bad days. The pain level ranges 3-6. Ibuprofen, ice, and light stretching seem to help. I am able to do everything without limitations. Walking the dog causes some discomfort, but we both need the exercise. I returned to water aerobics last weekend. It felt good but afterwards the knee swelled and was very painful. Par for the course I guess. I do get uncomfortable nerve pain from my rear down the leg. It varies in degree of discomfort. All in all, though, I think I am doing pretty good. I get retested for infection on April 16. Fingers crossed. ❤️
 
Glad things are improving and infection seems healed. Good luck for the April tests.
 
Hello Jday!
I hope you're still doing well as you reach this three month post op date of your revision.
Wishing you the best as you're retested today.
Please let us know what you hear once you receive the test results. We do care.
@Jday
 
I hope you are doing ok too! Your case of infection that was missed by regular bloodwork is is alarming, but helpful to read. I worry I could have something like that going on.
As I’m facing RA diagnosis and also concerned about risk of infection with starting immunosuppressants (especially as I have a knee scope coming up)…I’m curious to know if any of your doctors wondered if the RA meds lowered the blood levels of CRP, masking the infection for so long? I’ll be asking surgeon about getting joint fluid tested before starting treatment….but also want to get on top of treatment asap after surgery because I think the stress of it it will make my immune system go even more bonkers! It seems dental surgery triggered my latest bout of inflammation.
I really hope you are doing ok and appreciate any updates when /if you feel up to it.
 
Hello Bonesmart. I feel so stupid that I did not update my status. I apologize. With the surgeries and everything going on it just slipped my mind. I had intended to respond. Maybe it is my age...... .

I was retested in April 2024 with no signs of infection. I had the second stage of the revision at the end of May. My recovery went very well and I sailed through PT. I forget the final readings of my extension (0?) and flexion (120?). It was amazing how quickly I recovered. My knee was normal again. The best it had been since before my original surgery in 2022. I could wear heels again, run up and down stairs, do water aerobics, and walk the dog with zero pain. I stood tall and my sciatic nerve pain was gone. My knee looked normal and felt great.

This past January, 8 months later, I started to feel some discomfort down my calf. Similar to what I had felt before, but I brushed it off. I figured it was just a little nerve pain that would go away. The knee would swell sometimes then dissipate so I did not worry about it. In February I tripped and sprained my ankle. Afterwards, my knee swelled up and remained that way. I thought I must have injured it with the fall. I waited for the swelling and pain to go down but it did not. I saw my OS who did an aspiration. They said that a hematoma may have formed from the fall causing the swelling. The fluid was tinged with blood which made me think it was a hemotoma. I had not heard from them so I thought no news was good news.

They did call and informed me that the infection had returned. I was shocked and dismayed. How could this be happening again? It is the same bacteria as before, staphylococcus caprae, so the ID doctor is treating it like it is the same strain and not a new one. He feels it was in the bone dormant and got activated. I would need surgery and a course of long term antibiotics. Another 2 stage surgery was not an option due to too much bone loss. So on March 25th I went in for a DAIR procedure (debridement, antibiotics, and implant retention). I am on IV antibiotics for six weeks then oral for 9 months to a year.

I feel like I have been hit by a bus. I am trying to stay positive. It could be worse. The antibiotics worked last time so they will again. Just a longer course.

In May, my husband and I are moving to the Western part of the state. We are currently on the East Coast. It was in the works in before this happened. I am anxious how this will effect our new life. I want to remain seeing my ID Dr who will now be 2 hours away. I will just have to make it work. I am hoping we can do some telehealth visits and that it won't interfere with my new job.

This is all so unreal. I am hanging in there and doing my best to stay hopeful.

Thank you for listening.
 
Last edited:
Hi Bonesmart. Please update my procedures to include:

Right revision 2nd stage new titanium prosthetic May 28 2024
Right DAIR March 2025

Thank you
 
Hello Jday,
No worries and no apologies necessary in not posting. Your signature was edited. Thank you for the information and for stopping by to update.

I am so very sorry to read that your infection returned. It has to be exhausting, frustrating, difficult physically and emotionally. It is understandable that you're curious about the effects of long term antibiotic use. I wish I had the qualifications to answer such an important question. I'd like to encourage you to speak to a trusted physician or your ID doctor so they're able to walk you through the risks. You deserve that type of care and clarity.
I will add that we have another member that had the same type of infection. He's doing very well, enjoying life and stops back periodically for updates. I will link his thread here, if you're interested in reading - https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/life-after-scaprae.45120/page-41#post-1657235

Please know that we're here for support always. Prayers for your comfort, peace of mind and that the infection is eradicated. Hugs too :console2: :prayer:
@Jday
 
Hello Jday,
Checking in on the one month post op date of your debridement procedure. Hopefully you're feeling better and up to the move next month. You have a lot going on. I hope you're able to get the rest you need and your upcoming relocation is smooth. Stay in touch, we're here if you need us.
Best Wishes!
@Jday
 
Does anyone know of any side effects of long term antibiotic use? How does it effect the body?
I have taken long term antibiotics in the past for a chronic kidney problem. It does depend on the antibiotics and also individual sensitivity. One problem I had was a tendency to get Thrush ( Candida infection) when I was taking antibiotics and I then had to take an antifungal medication as well.
 
Antibiotics can mess with your gut microbiata, so it is always a good idea to take a good probiotic while you’re on them. I recommend you talk with your pharmacist to choose a brand that needs to be refrigerated, as that ensures the product will not have been sitting on a shelf for an extended period of time in differing temperatures.

You also want to check on interactions with any other medications you are taking, as they can render some medicines less effective while you’re on the antibiotics.
 
Thank you @Layla. I will talk to my ID Dr. I will read the other members story too see how he made out ❤️
I
Does anyone know of any side effects of long term antibiotic use? How does it affect the body?
first I am so sorry to hear that the infection returned, heartbreaking after feeling so well! I also had an infection but acute (5 weeks post op) and I’ve been on antibiotics since October. 6 weeks of iv and I’ve been in oral doxy for about 5.5 months now. I’m fortunate that the doxy has not affected me at all, in fact I’d rather stay on to forever than deal with the infection coming back, but alas I will be coming off it in June. I’m just one story and one drug but no adverse effects for me. I will pray you are clear and have a good result when all is said and done!
 
Stopping by to say Hi and see how you're doing, Jday.
I hope things are going well for you. Let us know how you're doing when you have time. We'd love to. hear from you. Take good care!
@Jday
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom