Guest viewing is limited

TKR Day 25

So, I'm confused. My physical therapist tells me that most people don't reach 0 degrees extension and that it's not a big deal. She says I'm at -15 degrees at 6 1/2 weeks post surgery.
@rockingfitz- having full extension is vital for proper gait. I was a physical therapist assistant for 32 years and our focus is always range of motion over strength. And extension over flexion. Keep working on both. It isn’t fun but will be so worth it to have a fully functional knee.
 
@rockingfitz- having full extension is vital for proper gait. I was a physical therapist assistant for 32 years and our focus is always range of motion over strength. And extension over flexion. Keep working on both. It isn’t fun but will be so worth it to have a fully functional knee.

Is it possible to get full extension after 6 weeks. I'm hearing that after 6 weeks it's nearly impossible. I'm putting work into it, but haven't made any gains. :-(
 
Extension often takes longer to come back. Walking will help it, and especially trying to walk heel to toe. Swelling has an effect on extension, so keep trying to reduce that, with rest, ice and elevation.

6 weeks post op is way too early to worry about your ROM. Yes, you can definitely improve ROM after 6 weeks. My ROM continued to improve well into my second year post op, and even my third year.
I'm putting work into it, but haven't made any gains. :-(
Sometimes if we work too hard at this recovery it backfires by causing more swelling which will prevent gains.

Try to relax, it will all improve as you heal and your swelling goes down. :console2:
 
At 3 months - numbness persists and the zingers are becoming less
I have been using magnesium gel on knee and taking a magnesium tablet at night
What brand of magnesium gel do you use?
 
Back
Top Bottom