THR Dances With Walker

Riversong, I am impressed! I had spinal anesthesia and was heavily sedated. As much as I don't like going under like you, I couldn't imagine being awake through the whole thing (although the option was offered to me).

Welcome to the other side and best wishes on your recovery journey!

@Riversong Does Johnnie have wheels on the front? Carey does and he behaves himself. I have another without wheels which I do not use because it misbehaves. You have to train them. :heehee:

Johnny Walker has wheels in the front but my house is small and they get stuck 20 times a day. I don’t want to train him. I want to bootkick him off the end of a short wharf. I can’t wait to return to my two canes, Michael and Nova. They’re much better behaved :)

Don't know if this will work with Johnny Walker, but I read reviews about mine before I ordered it and several people suggested assembling it the front wheels facing toward the inside of the frame to allow it to fit narrower spaces.

@Riversong Was very happy to find your message about the details of being awake.
I wasn’t offered the option of remaining awake until I met with the anesthesiologist the day before my surgery. As soon as he told me that was a possibility, my pre-surgery stress went down and my confidence shot way up.
This is exactly how I feel, and in prior surgeries, my fears and concerns have been ignored by anesthesiologists for their own convenience, and ultimately to my detriment. I requested to speak to an anesthesiologist several weeks ago and received a call from the head of anesthesia. He spent about 15 minutes listening to my story and discussing my options and agreed that I could be awake with the understanding that, if a complication arose, sedation might be administered. He spoke to me as though I was an intelligent adult, capable of participating in my procedure, and I was near to tears with relief.
@Izabel Thanks for sharing your experience, confirming that this is doable.
@Debru4 I greatly appreciate your understanding and support. I have a similar experience with opioids, except for Norco, which is tolerable. At my pre-op meeting with the PA yesterday, she kept trying to push oxycodone (which makes me retch) and I kept pushing back. She was clearly annoyed , but I got my Norco prescription! I have also reserved an icing machine for a month, despite insistently negative comments from the nurse/joint coordinator. All of the Bonesmart support and advice has helped me feel confident in standing my ground!

Love your thread title! @Riversong
Just reading some posts have me going pale. I knew nothing going in, as it was an emergency. Hind sight was best scenario for me because I would not have been able to sleep. Sounds like you can handle anything this new hip throws at you. Johnny Walker will be a short lived companion. Hope your recovery continues uneventfully. Welcome to BoneSmart! :cheers:

upload_2019-8-11_11-56-51.png

Thank you for making me feel welcome and special thanks to whichever one of you suggested that I mount Johnny Walker’s wheels on the inside of his frame. He’s behaving himself now. :angel:Oooh, I am such a newbie... have no idea of I’m replying to one or all of you. While I try to figure it all out, I’m going to upload the card my sweetheart sisters-in-law just sent me. The first few days at home have been WAY more challenging than I expected so this card arrived at just the right moment. Every time you feel like you can’t handle it, the universe provides you with the answer... yes, honey, you CAN.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am curious on moving the wheels inside the frame. I have a small lightweight one and the wheels are slightly angled in from the back legs ...
51sDC7-yJ-L._SY355_.jpg

I also got this lightweight one previously which is too bulky so now redundant especially with no wheels ...

upload_2019-7-25_15-16-18.jpeg

Both are height adjustable and the latter folds up.

First one cost £27, second one £34, incl postage, both from Amazon.

@Riversong I love the card that your sis in law gave you. That one is frame worthy! I am laughing @enoughpain.. my walker was catching on the door jams and was so annoying and we didn't even think about that option of moving the wheels, Hubby went to a Good will and bought another walker with wheels inside.. oh brother!
But it was nice to have larger outside wheels one downstairs and keep the good one upstairs where there are so many doors.
Riversong, how is your recovery coming along? :flwrysmile:

How are you doing @Riversong ?
We haven't heard from you in a few weeks.
Please leave an update and let us know about your progress.
We'd love to follow your journey.
A great week to you!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie