cycling

Status
Not open for further replies.

bnelson

I had my left knee replaced dec 28 2012 and was a very avid cyclist prior to surgery.Wondering if it would be ok to ride outside,pt said it would be ok just be smart.Any thoughts?Thanks :dancy:

Bnelson,
Welcome to Bone smart!
Check out the social room there is a thread for cyclists there.
Roy Gardiner is a cyclist and will be able to comment.

Hi i ride outside and in have even fallen on knee not to be recomended but lucky okay.Only trouble i have is tkr leg is longer with it now being straight so riding style slightly different from before,this is only problem i have had and tried everything shorter crank arm, blocks on pedal, seat raised,but now after first 500 yds i am okay. Just be aware take it easy at first i did not and had a lot of trouble with swelling but now bike and swim indoor trainer was great to get me going again.Good luck to you hope you are having better biking weather than i am in uk.

By all means RIDE!!!! I had issues with the fear of falling, but once I was outside riding I got over them. I might have gone too aggressive too soon though...

Good luck in your riding. But do take care. Tashia

My doc told me to ride as much as I wanted---I rode 20 miles regularly at 6 weeks---but, he did not let me click into my pedals for almost six months. Why not call your doc and ask what his advice would be?

It was fairly easy to ride, but my stamina was no where near where it had been before surgery--be careful not to go too far for your strength. Kelly

I'm hoping the weather cooperates & I can try to ride outside for the first time this week. Highly recommend trying on a wind trainer first -- it turns out the rotation on a regular bike is different than exercise bikes. I could do the exercise bike without any trouble a lot sooner than my bike on the wind trainer. Also, I was pretty worried about swinging my leg over while my foot was planted. And I'm not going to do clipless pedals. Happy cycling.

Ride. But wait until there's no ice. Or, like me, you might fall and break your collar bone :hissy:

I had mine done 6 Dec 2011; started short rides Feb 2012, back to gentle 30-40 miles by April.

Hi got to agree with you about clipless pedals even now 9 months after still prefer using strapless toe clips ,dont think i will use clipless again,and i am not bradley wiggins so my riding is just for fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JWS
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom