Guest viewing is limited

THR Covid-19 cancellation

I "possibly" may be rescheduled to June
Well it's not ideal but I think this is a very positive sign. If areas are starting plan elective surgery it's a good sign.
Best case, I am going to be stuck inside, while it is beautiful outside.
No you won't. You will be fully mobile when you leave the hospital. Many of our members spend time outdoors during their recy. Sunshine and fresh air are ideal during your recovery.
You can be outside right away! I spent most of the day outside today (me and my walker). Surgery was 3/18. Sun and fresh air are the best!
 
I was really hoping for a summer surgery for my latest hip so I could sit out on the deck and walk around the driveway but it was not to be as my OS was booked up and other issues so had fall/winter surgery again. Think of the positives of no snow, ice to worry about and flowers and greenery to cheer you on your recovery. I am hoping you will have your surgery soon.
 
I was really hoping for a summer surgery for my latest hip so I could sit out on the deck and walk around the driveway but it was not to be

Thank you for that perspective, and truly I know that is what it is all about.

I didn't want to have the surgery for many reasons, including denial, fear of the unknown, etc. Until I hit that point (limping) where I realized I want to walk normal again, plus reading this forum for months really helped me to feel in my heart that waiting wasn't going to bring any benefits. Once I made that switch in my mind, and found a surgeon I was really confident in, I wanted to get it done as quickly as possible.

I am trying to stay mobile, and ideally I wanted to lose about five pounds, but the stay at home orders are making my appetite increase.
 
Stay strong and positive.. do the best that you can. That's all any of us can attempt to do and each day is different. Hugs to you, my hippie friend.
I had my recent THR in the summer and it was a lovely time. I sat on my porch and enjoyed watching the birds and hearing the sounds of the neighborhood.

:console2:
 
Last edited:
Summer is a great time to have the surgery, had mine this past July! The sun really helps keep you positive and makes you want to get up and move. Of course you have to take it slow and easy.
 
I worry that my THR surgery will be rescheduled as well. My surgery date is June 16, and as of now, my surgery is still scheduled. But considering how things are going related to the Covid-19 issue, I wouldn't be surprised if my surgery gets rescheduled. It doesn't help things that my surgery is taking place in San Francisco (at UCSF), one of the hardest-hit cities for Coronavirus cases.

We shall see.
 
@sfbaylover , I have added your name and surgery date to the June Sunbeams surgery thread. Please let us know if your surgery is postponed (I hope it won't be) and we'll remove you from the list.
 
My surgery is schedule for June 29th, so I suspect we will have a big June "surgery class" now that elective surgeries are thankful being re-scheduled.

They called an offered me an option for May 27th, but sadly I didn't have all my ducks lined up at work to be able to get it done that quickly.

Y'all have made me feel less concerned about a summer surgery.
 
Good to have a date and be moving forward. Yes, it’s better to have things lined up at work. It can only help if you need to ask for flexibility later in recovery.
 
Thank you everyone! I feel more empowered with all I have learned from other people's journey.

I do have one question based on this data in their pre-operative booklet:

Most patients with an anterior approach will be restricted to 25% weight bearing after surgery for 3 weeks.

I thought anterior approach had quicker recovery, and how in the world do I just balance 25% of my body weight, via a walker?
 
I thought anterior approach had quicker recovery, and how in the world do I just balance 25% of my body weight, via a walker?
Anterior is not necessarily a quicker recovery. But the end result with any approach is the same.

Discuss the weight bearing restriction with your surgeon. If there is a restriction physio will show you how to move around before you leave the hospital.
 
Most patients with an anterior approach will be restricted to 25% weight bearing after surgery for 3 weeks.

Possibly you’ll be one of the lucky ones who isn’t restricted to partial weight bearing. I’m not familiar with this being normal protocol for those experiencing anterior approach.
If it becomes necessary for you to follow weight bearing restrictions, you will be instructed and feel confident you‘re doing it correctly before you’re discharged. In the meantime, if curious, you can find videos on YouTube to watch for a better understanding.
I hope you have a pleasant Memorial weekend! :SUNsmile:
 
Back
Top Bottom