Coumadin and Aleve?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KateC810

My doctor said I can do 600 mg of Advil, but I was wondering about Aleve. The notes from the Coumadin advise against ANY NSAIDS, but since the doctor said Advil is okay, I don't know. I'll ask tomorrow when I go in for PT (in the same building as my surgeon), but would love any input any of you have. I'm 19 days post-op and will be Coumadin for another couple of weeks at least.

Kate

hey Kate, Welcome I did take Aleve and Lovenox shots I dont know if thats the same ( lovenox) is a blood thinner.I would call your Pharm they would know...Good Luck to you..I hope you are doing well.....Post anytime love to hear your story....:)

Welcome, Kate. I am on Coumadin and I take Aleve at times. At one point after my knee surgery, I took an Aleve once every day. The issue is that any NSAID can thin your blood in addition to the Coumadin. The person you need to talk with is the nurse who checks your blood. If you are going to take anything new (or make dietary changes), you need to let them know. They will probably tell you to start on your schedule with Aleve and then they'll check it again in a few days to a week to be sure the Coumadin dose is still correct. Then you will need to be consistent with your Aleve from day to day. With Coumadin (Warfarin), consistency in diets and medications is EVERYTHING!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Air185
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom