Cortisone shots how many how often?

Yuki

Country
United States United States
Hi new to forum, would like to ask a question. I’m a 58 year old women very active, I deliver mail for a living. I’ve had MRI that shows a torn labrum & hip impingement, with bone spurs. I’ve been to 2 different doctors one wants to do a debridement the other says one day your going to need a THR. I’ve been getting cortisone shots into right hip for 2 years and 1 years in left. I’ve had 6 shots in right hip and 3 in left hip. My question is how many years can I keep getting shots? And how if any damage is being done? Can I keep getting shots? And the shots only work for about 3 to 4 months. So any advice would be appreciated. Yuki

Hello @Yuki , and welcome.

I have moved your post from the "Other Joints Library" to here, the Hip Replacement Pre-Op area. This is where we talk about problems with hips, so please keep posting in this forum.
I have also deleted your duplicate post from the Social Room.

Someone who knows more about about hips than I do will be along soon, to help you.

Most doctors will only provide cortisone shots every 3-4 months, so you cannot get them any more frequently than that. It is possible their effectiveness will decline as your hip(s) worsen. And they will get worse. The shots do not cure anything. They only buy you a little time before a hip replacement and even that is not a "given" forever.

You may think you're too young for a hip replacement, but actually you're right in the prime age. Of course it's up to you, but I would just get the hip done and move on with your life. Hips have great longevity outlooks these days and chances are good you'd be into your 80's before needing a revision (if then). The truth is with today's improved implants and surgical techniques we just don't know how long a primary hip will last. People used to say 20 years, but a lot of surgeons say it should be more like 30 years or maybe even a "lifetime." We just won't know until more time passes.

What I can promise is that your arthritic hips will worsen if you do not have them replaced. Much like the cortisone shots, a debridement is merely a stop-gap measure to try and buy a little time. You'll have a recovery period from that and any other procedures you may have to try and improve your bad hip. It's even possible that having a debridement could accelerate the arthritis damage and leave you needing a THR within the next year or so anyway.

Hip replacements are a very successful and common surgery these days. They are done on people as young as teenagers when the need arises. Your doctor may agree to keep giving you the shots several times a year. But you are not really improving your situation. Your hip is deteriorating. If I were you, I'd seriously consider just getting the bad hip replaced.

Last edited:
@Yuki I limped around for 3 years thinking my bad hip was a lower back problem. The hip collapsed before I was diagnosed. Believe me, you don't want that pain! I was actually your age when I had my first THR. I agree with Jamie - get that hip replaced and get on with living.

Just a note, you will need to wait for a few months after having any injection before you can have surgery. Ask your surgeon about this.

I was having cortisone shots in my hip for a while. I think you can have them every 3 months. If you have them more often than that, it can cause soft tissue damage. So if it's still providing good pain relief and you're following your doctor's recommendations I would personally continue with that conservative treatment until it no longer works for you. I agree with the others that - at some point - it will no longer be effective and you'll be looking at a THR.

I got to the point where the injections only controlled my pain for 3-6 weeks and then I had to wait another 6 weeks for the next injection. So cortisone was no longer a viable option for me.

Thanks for your input. I appreciate it

Jaycey, thanks for your input, I’m trying to figure it out.

Yes I sometimes limp, but some days I’m fine. I really don’t want to rush into anything. I’m taking my time and seeing different doctors. I appreciate all input. Thanks

My hubby had 2 back to back total THR so I’m really scared. I want to make the right decision. Thanks for your help.

Yuki, this isn't Facebook so it's unnecessary to quote a post just to reply to it. Just scoot on down to the bottom of the page where it says "write your reply" and start typing! Unless there is some specific phrase you want to address, of course, then do it like this How to quote a post.

Thanks for understanding! :)

Thanks that info was great.

Well had my cortisone shots in my hips yesterday, it went very well. X rays show no damage from previous cortisone shots, my orthopedic said it was a myth that cortisone shows cause damage, and yes they don’t fix labrum tears, he also said stay away from Orthoscopic surgery to repair labrum, it sets you up for a THR. He also said he has a few patient with labrum tears, that have been getting shots for years. I love his honesty. Thought I’d share with anyone who was worried about cortisone shots. But he did say oral cortisone does set you up for Avn, I know some people have to take them. Be careful of those. Yuki

I had 2 shots , first one “worked” for awhile, the second , nope. The only consideration is the length of time after the shot and getting surgery. I was told anywhere between 3- 6 months . My surgery will be 4 months post second injection. I hope injection helps you.

Dear Annie Rose 2 I’m so sorry to hear what’s going on with you. I checked several doctors before I made my decision. Believe me I was scared. But after doing some research I came to the conclusion, that surgeons want to cut. And I’m only 58, I still have 7 years to go before retiring. So I’m trying to keep my hip intact.

I don’t know what your hip shows, but definitely get a second opinion. I did and well worth it. I’m off the table for now. I’m not letting them take my hip.

I did s lot of research on cortisone. I’ve been getting hip injections for about 2 years. It is the oral cortisone that hurts you. The shots are so low a dose that it would take years to hurt you. Please get a secondary opinion. I did. Yuki

surgeons want to cut
Oh contraire! Surgeons are not scalpel happy, my friend. I know that for every patient a surgeon takes to surgery, there are probably half a dozen or more he sends away with advice and probably sends to PT.
So I’m trying to keep my hip intact.
Well I wish you luck! In my experience, once a hip goes down the arthritis path, it often has an inevitable conclusion. I met a man in the clinic once who said the same as you - he was going to keep having cortisone shots forever if it kept him from having a knee replacement! I heard that he lasted about 6 months!
It is the oral cortisone that hurts you. The shots are so low a dose that it would take years to hurt you
You're right about the oral steroids being the villain but the injectable stuff is not less harmful because it's a low dose. It is so because it's a synthetic form of cortisone called Depomedrone.

Josephine thanks for your advice. I’m taking it to the heart. But he did xray me and mine looked great. My doctor did say you're a victim of over worked tendons. When you walk & climb stairs for a living, always moving AKA city carrier you never get to relax those tendons. I think that’s why he prefers to give me shots.

Yes he read my MRI, in his opinion removing the labrum would send me to surgery sooner then I wanted to and I’m only 58. Too young for it. I’m not overweight. 5 foot 6 at 125. So I’m just over working my tendons. Most people don’t understand how physical the job is.

The steroid you said he using is not that one, when I get the name I’ll shoot it back to you. It is a time release one . And he said it’s very low dose. Next time I see him I will mention what you bought up.

Thanks for all your helpful information. It’s very much appreciated. Yuki

Hi Yuki I also have a labrum tear and they thought possible impingement but that's since been ruled out. They did say if I wasn't overweight they could try doing an arthroscopy to ?cure the impingement and repair the labral tear.

I've had 1 steroid injection which lasted a month if that. My consultant wasn't convinced it would help but he wanted to give it a try. He wanted an MRI prior to the injection which unfortunately didn't happen. I had the MRI after my injection as I was too heavy for the local hospital MRI I needed to wait for an appointment at the local private hospital.

I saw a new consultant in Jan who decided he wanted me to try another injection although the first didn't seem to have the effect they wanted. I'm not convinced it'll be the miracle cure the consultant thinks it'll be, but I've agreed to have it done again and I'm trying to stay open minded. When I was put on the list it was an 18 week wait was told a couple of weeks ago its now 35.

So far I've see 3 consultants who've all said they want to go down the conservative route rather than surgical route because of my age as the hips only last 10 years.

I'm 45 I can tell my hip is getting worse my hip function is deteriorating and I'm beginning to struggle. Not sure how long I'll be able to continue in my current job role as a nurse due to the vast amounts of walking I do

Best wishes

Nicknoc I’m so sorry to hear about your hip illness. I guess we are both in the same boat.

I have a hip impingement with bone spurs and my pelvis has to be shaved down. I’m not overweight, it just my labrum is all ripped up. It like hot rods going down to my knee. The ortho want to repair it or depending on how bad it is remove it all together. I have seen several doctors all have different opinions. But my last doctors was very honest with me.

He said removing that labrum or even cleaning it up will set you up for a THR. There’s a reason why it’s there. It stabilizes the hip. Moving it around or even debriding it could really cause so big problems down the road. Not only that, he also said yes you will need a THR. So why put yourself though it twice.

Also THR for women fail twice as much. Men seem to handle it better. So I have about 7 years left till retirement. I’ll live with the pain. Besides my hubby had 2 back to back THR. He’s not the same, and never will be. We can’t travel, we can’t even go out to dinner, he’s always in pain. I don’t want that for me.

I would my on my own with no help. Who would do the cooking, cleaning, cutting the grass, repair work, bills. I could go on. And who will pay the bills? I’m stuck. I have to work till I drop. That’s my life right now. If I bring up anything as far as pain, I get that look that says shut up, you don’t know pain.

So I’m with you. I hope my story helps .

If you check out the resource list and the book "Heal Your Hips" you'll see that the surgeon and author says cortisone is NOT A TREATMENT and will only turn your muscles to mush like tenderized meat if used that way. He only allows it if you have a special event to attend, etc. He's all about pool therapy. This book and pool therapy helped me a lot!

Last edited by a moderator:
Luvsibes thanks the advice. I wish I was there to LA . I’ll check it out.

Pain is pain. We all have different pain thresholds. One person can handle the same pain another couldn't.
No one has a right to give someone "a look" because they deem their pain worse than another's. Not fair and actually self centered of the person throwing shade.....as though they are the only one who's suffering pain in the world.

The steroid you said he using is not that one. It is a time release one
It will still be depomedrone even if it has a different trade name.
Also THR for women fail twice as much. Men seem to handle it better. So I have about 7 years left till retirement.
I don't know where you heard that but it's totally untrue. It could be said there are a greater number of women with problem hip replacements but that's because there are approximately 60-70% more women have hip replacements than men. And don't believe anyone who tells you that THRs only last 10 years or so because that's not true either! Modern hip replacements are often referred to as the "forgotten hip" because people do forget they have them! And another name they have is the "forever hip" as they are known to last 35-45 years!
Besides my hubby had 2 back to back THR. He’s not the same, and never will be. We can’t travel, we can’t even go out to dinner, he’s always in pain.
This isn't normal - there is a reason he is always in pain. Has he seen a hip surgeon about this?

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Cocoabean
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom