Compare Journey v Attune knee systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

kawillis

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi Guys, I am new to this forum and wondered if any of you could steer me in the right direction. I need a TKR and the two surgeons I have considered use different products one uses the Smith & Nephew "Journey" system and the other the Johnson and Johnson "Attune" system. it seems to me that one suggests a better metal component and the other a better plastic component. Does anyone have a view as to which would be the favoured solution. BTW I am male 51 yrs old and active as much as a arthritic knee will allow.

Kawillis,
Welcome to Bonesmart, glad you joined us.
The most important part of TKR is the surgeon and his skill for a great outcome. The Smith and Nephew knee has an Oxinium surface, and if you have metal allergies might be a better choice, otherwise go with the best surgeon for you.
Here is a link to an article that you may find helpful Choosing a surgeon and a prosthesis
Good luck in your search for the right surgeon and prosthesis for you.
Keep us posted on how you are doing,

Thanks, I am very happy with either surgeon, I just wanted to now decide on the Attune or Journey system.
I don't have any allergies so either I think will work fine. thanks for the link

I strongly recommend that you don't worry about the implant. All evidence suggests that comparing implants is a waste of time as they can be superb in one surgeon's hands and a botch job in another. There are no Rollw Royces in knee implants. What makes the difference is the surgeon's skill.
it seems to me that one suggests a better metal component and the other a better plastic component.
I'd also add that this is a total misnomer too. Choose a really good surgeon and accept what he uses. That's the key to success. If you want some success stories, we have some here and most of them never bothered much abut the implant! Stories of amazing knee recoveries

I trusted my surgeon to use what he was most comfortable and experienced with. I was paying him to be the expert and trusted his judgement. I've had no problems with me knees....

Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®

If you like both surgeons, you might do better looking at which hospital the docs operate at than which implant.

I agree---I would not worry so much about the implant---as there is no "good", "better", and "best". They all have to pass stringent tests and meet exceeding high standards.

What matters most is that you choose a highly skilled surgeon---one that you like and trust---as it is his surgical skill that matters most---that is paramount in a TKR.

My implant is 6 months old and I have a Attune, however mine is made by Dupuy. 110 percent happy with the outcome. I can kneel , jog, ride bike , jog upstairs , all things that were literally impossible before surgery. I trusted my surgeon, if he would of used Lego or fisher price I would of agreed. Best of luck to you, get er done ! Iceman

I echo what others have said, the skill of the surgeon is the most important factor. My OS doesn't stick to one brand. He relies on support from the manufacturer's reps and by having them "compete" for his business he insures that he gets the best they have to offer in that regard. We went into my surgery discussing the use of the Stryker Triathlon and ended up using the DePuy (a Johnson and Johnson subsidiary) Attune and I am very pleased with it getting close to 5 months post op.

Just as an aside, I got a call from a representative of DePuy this past Friday asking about my experience with their device, what caused me to get my TKR when I did, what advice I would have for others, etc. She did mention that the Attune is their latest and greatest. I was impressed as I don't know how many other prosthesis manufacturers follow up with people who were given their devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Air185
Recent bookmarks
Back