Guest viewing is limited

PKR Clunky Knee

Up and down week so far. I think I am improving. Left home this morning at 6;30am drove for a hour then was on my feet until 2;00pm. Drove back to work another hour and did not come home until 5;00pm. My pain and stiffness was ok until around 3;00 pm then my knee let me know it was not happy at all. Sat now typing with leg elevated and icing to calm my poor knee down. Its mainly my patella tendon that swells and gets hot and inflamed. I know i could not have achieved this a month ago but I soooo wish I could do more.
Early night and see what tomorrow brings.
 
Be very, very kind to your knee when you’re home, you do ask a lot from it at work!
 
You really are doing a lot with the new knee but managing to take care of it as best you can with the demands of working life. I admire you.
My workout today was a full walk around a massive IKEA pushing a wonky trolley! Plus 1.5 hours driving back. So knee is bit swollen and there’s the ache but nothing like it’s been so I see a real improvement!
 
Getting ready for another week at work I will be nearly six months post op next week. Even though i still struggle and have good and bad days small improvements take place. I worked Saturday morning as well 6:00am until 10;30 am When I arrived at work I had forgotten to take any pain medication so expected to find it hard. I surprised myself and did 4500 steps. I do think now my only issue is a really angry patella tendon as long as i can keep that happy my knee stays happy. I just can`t wait for the day when my knee is not the boss.
 
Last edited:
This week marks my six month post op. Saw my physio last Friday she said things are going along well. I did explain i was still experiencing pain and stiffness but she was not too concerned. I am improving just slowly. This time round she had me kneeling on a soft pillow. That was strange and weird a little uncomfortable but no sharp pains. Walking and standing are still my biggest issues. she has signed me off for now unless I develop further problems. I see my surgeon in early December for my 8 month check up lets see where I am then. This forum has been so helpful I now know I am not alone in this recovery. I will keep posting updates. Thanks to everyone here for your continuing support.
 
Kneeling has always been a concern for me post op bilateral TKR. I am only in my 4th week of recovery so I am in no shape to even try at this stage but going back to my job as a paramedic will certainly require me to do be able to kneel for long periods of time. Time will tell I guess.
Good luck on your recovery.
 
Another couple of weeks down and seeing small improvements. Doing more physio at home and kneeling on a pillow every night this seems to help reduce the tight band feeling which is gradually getting better. Walking and standing are still my main areas where pain and swelling can creep up on me and ice is still my go to for pain relief. I will have my 8 month follow up with my surgeon in early December so will see where I am then. This is certainly a long journey.
 
Kneeling has always been a concern for me post op bilateral TKR. I am only in my 4th week of recovery so I am in no shape to even try at this stage but going back to my job as a paramedic will certainly require me to do be able to kneel for long periods of time. Time will tell I guess.
Good luck on your recovery.

If you can kneel on a foam seat cushion or a gardening pad at first that will help. I remember with my first TRK I had to have something to cushion my knee for awhile at first when kneeling. Now it's no problem kneeling on the old knee, my new knee will definitely be complaining about it for awhile yet.
 
I’m 8 months out and mine burn when I kneel. Getting better than it was though. I’m a bit too much of a wuss to try often, only do it when I really have to. Had enough of pain this year! Will wait until it feels just strange, like it does on soft surfaces.
 
This week marks seven months post op. Still have good and bad days. I am doing more physio at home after work and I am getting stronger. My Pain levels are dropping but very slowly. Physiologically this has been really tough for me at 48 I would love to be more active and this has caused me to worry constantly. This forum still helps a lot and I will continue to post and read. My 8 month appointment is next month and I will see where I am.
 
Coming up to 8 months post op i see my surgeon this Thursday. I am still slowly improving last week at work was the first week i did not have a really bad day with pain. I can take that as a positive.
Walking is still a issue but again this is getting better, I can certainly stand for much longer now, last Friday we had a presentation at work i was stood for over 2 hours with little discomfort. The physio i am doing at home is certainly making my leg a lot stronger. My kneecap is still sore and stiff and this is the point of my questions I will be putting forward on Thursday.
Merry Christmas everyone.
 
I also get pain around my knee cap. Often on the opposite side of the medial implant which makes no sense. The only thing I can think of is that the swelling in my knee raises up the kneecap and sometimes prevents it from tracking properly and it gets aggravated, which causes more swelling etc...

I sure would like to have this swelling go away one day!
 
Had my 8 month consultation with my surgeon yesterday. My appointment was with the surgeons understudy but she was really nice and listened a lot. They had new x rays taken and she was happy with the placement and security. I was honest and explained that I am still having persistent pain and still take pain medication to continue at work. At this point she consulted with the professor who did the procedure and they both examined my X-rays and fully checked out my knee physically. I did explain that I can do all the physio with little discomfort, it is walking that has always been my issue. They think that I may just be a slow healer and my implant is still settling into the joint. They did ask if I had taken a fall at any time at which I answered no.
Both consultants agreed that if I was still experiencing pain when walking at the year mark then further investigation may be needed. And they certainly would not just sign me off.
I left feeling a little relieved, am I happy that I still have pain when walking no but I am grateful that they showed care and concern. I am not sure what settling into the joint means but I will keep plugging along and stay positive. Again thankyou Bonesmart members and administrators for all your advice and empathy.
 
@Ginger1210 So glad your surgeon is addressing your pain issue. But yes, this recovery can take one year or longer. You should continue to see improvement. An x-ray would have revealed and problems with the implant. Sounds like you just need to be patient a bit longer.
 
Received a letter form my surgeon this week. Basically following up on my 8 month consultation. The surgeon described my current condition and reiterated the they think my continued pain level is due to my implant settling into the bone and restated that if I was still experiencing pain by April 2022 then further investigation will be needed. This has reassured me greatly that i will not be just sent packing.
I am still improving gradually and doing my physio every night. I can definitely feel my leg strength coming back. I still average one really bad day a week and still take pain medication. Its not perfect but that's just life.
Happy new year to all my bonesmart friends.
 
I’m sorry that you are still having pain. As you commented earlier on another post, I do think your job could be a factor. I hope you do continue to see more improvement.
:happy-new-year-smiley-emoticon-4:
 
It sounds like our cases are fairly similar. I always feel my knee and have a bit of pain. However, I can walk around fairly well with minimal discomfort, it is when I go up and down a steep hill I feel it and taking stairs normally is not an option.

What type of leg exercises are you doing? I do about 1 hour of leg exercises a day. It sounds like a lot but everything is controlled and I don't push too hard. Many are pilates type exercises I have learned on youtube that focus on leg strength.

Many of the exercises I do are isometric which strengthen quad but don't aggravate my knee. For example, one exercise I do every other day is the wall squat. 3 sets of of 1 minute. It is very difficult but does not seem to aggravate my knee. Start with 20 seconds and build up. My legs were very muscle sore after the first few times I did them.

Also, the elliptical and recumbent bike seem to help.

For me, I feel I need to push my knee as much as possible without aggravating it. It is a very fine line between not enough and too much.

As I mentioned in my thread, my legs are getting stronger and muscle definition back, however, my knee still is the weak link.

My ROM is pretty good and I only do a few stretches a day. Nothing like the beginning of this journey when I did almost all ROM stretches and very little strength exercises.

I was wearing a full knee sleeve but feel after swelling came under control it may have been aggravating my knee by pushing down on my knee cap through the day. I switched to a Patellar tendon band that sits below my kneecap. This seems to help. It gives support and does not push down on knee cap.

All we can do is try things and see what works.

Here is fingers crossed for a pain free 2022 for both of us!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Beesknee we are very similar the strange thing is stairs and hills are fine with me. Walking on hard flat surfaces is my biggest challenge. I do recumbent bike every day for 10 minutes then i have some ankle weights which i use doing leg lifts from a chair plus a balance ball which I stand on with one leg to balance this does work my quads and calf's. Then I do stair drops and lifts on my operated leg. These I can do with minimal pain. I can now kneel on my operated knee on a cushion which I also do every night. The only worry is my pain ;eve; is similar to pre op now. I am hoping I will continue to improve.
The only concern i have is when my surgeon kept looking at the x-rays he repeatedly asked me if i had fallen or injured my knee post op. I have not and have been ultra careful. I wonder if the implant has moved slightly? We shall see?
 
Just a random comment and I'm sure you've already thought of this..... how is your balance? Can you stand on one foot for 25-30 seconds fairly well? Just wondering if those muscles, ligaments and tendons all around the joint are strong, offering it good support.

When my therapist discharged me, she said walking on uneven ground like on a trail was good for strengthening and balance. So far I've been able to do it fairly well, even in the snow. I realize everyone is different and your issues could have a different cause.....
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom