Watch 2020 JRAD Videos

THR Clipper's Recovery

OP
OP
Clipper

Clipper

Country
United States United States
RTH replaced Mon 11/14/16. Out of hospital this morning. Everything looking good so far. I'd forgotten how painful and weak you are post surgery. Walking OK with a walker. Has anyone taken Celebrex post op and if so, what is your opinion?

Both hips are now metal. I'm so glad to get this over with. I'm very grateful that this cutting age procedure, the very talented medical staff, and these state of the art facilities are available to me.

I tried to add the second date below but it only changed in my profile, but not in my post.

Sunny girl

senior
Country
Australia Australia
Great to hear you're done and dusted now @Clipper. Must be great to be home. Hope you feel better day by day - what a relief it's over.

I took Celebrex for anti-inflammatory purposes pre-surgery, and this evolved to Mobic. (Both drugs are pretty similar, and doctors don't seem to prefer one over the other). Just ensure you have it with food and/or a tablet called Omeprazole (a proton pump inhibitor, it protects the tum).

I am post-op first hip (second op to come) and find I now need the Mobic again for my remaining old hip. The old hip felt good while I was on regular meds, but now screams for relief. My preference is to take it when I know I have alot of activity coming up, and then take for a day or so after (rather than take a regular daily dose). Perhaps you could try similar?

OP
OP
Clipper

Clipper

Country
Sunny girl
I took 1 Celebrex in the am for the 1st 2 days home for the 2nd hip, then stopped. I have not taken oxycodone or other pain meds at any time this time around. At day 4 I'm walking more without walker or cane. I take Tylenol and ibuprofen in the am and take aspirin and sip red wine in the pm. This has worked very well for me.

I agree that Celebrex (and Mobic if similar) is a good idea if hip pain is an issue. I prefer these to pain meds.
Get your 2nd hip done sooner than latter. This could set you free. I'll pray for you! good luck.

Sunny girl

senior
Country
Australia Australia
Thanks @Clipper, appreciate your kind thoughts. Look at you, doing so well - with just the over-the-counter stuff and red wine in the evening! Sounds like your new mobile, pain-free life has begun already. And it really helps to know that the second op has gone so well - it is heartening for those of us with another surgery to come.

OP
OP
Clipper

Clipper

Country
It's been three weeks since RTHR as of yesterday. Staples are out and all looks good.

Apparently walking 2 miles at 1 week was overboard. My right foot swelled up, skin became tight, and sores appeared. I had to start Celebrex 200mg 2/day and 10 mg oxycodone at night for a week while elevating and icing. Swelling has now decreased, sores are gone, and I'm off all meds (thank goodness). This was an unexpected setback but I should have known better and taken it easier.

PT measured my leg length discrepancy (LLD) today and found my right leg is ~2 cm shorter than my left leg. The OS wasn't able to equalize my right leg length as hoped during surgery due to complications. It is better but not enough. Because of LLD, my pelvis is tilted higher on the left and lower on the right. This has caused a tilt in my lower spine and has contributed to my OA and lower back pain at times. To help improve my gait, help level my pelvis, and reduce lower back pain, today I took several of my right shoes to a shoe repair shop to get 2 cm added to the entire soles. An insert in my right shoe has helped but it's only 0.6 cm. Keeping my fingers crossed this helps going forward.

I walk 2 miles / day weather permitting, do exercises 2 /3 times /week (push ups, sit ups, leg scissors, squats, calf raises), and will now do PT with weights twice/week for 6 weeks to strengthen leg muscles. I'm without any noticeable pain. Since my LTHR in April I've walked > 60 miles / month to improve leg muscle strength and health. I'm grateful to now be able to clip my own toenails and tie my own shoes. I can actually bend down and pick things off the ground now! Looking forward to playing a round of golf in the future. Here's hoping things keep going in a positive direction.

Best of health to everyone!

OP
OP
Clipper

Clipper

Country
It's been one year since my 2nd hip replacement and I want to report that I am grateful to be able to walk and exercise without pain. The arthritis was crippling me before and I was headed for a wheel chair. I would drive around the grocery parking lot until a space opened near the door. The grocery cart served as a necessary walker. Putting on socks, tying shoe laces, trimming toe nails, etc were impossible. Now I do all of these with little thought. I walk 2 miles every morning (weather permitting) with gratitude for that capability. The surgeon told me pre-op that these 2 operations would make a dramatic improvement in my quality of life and he was spot on. Cheers to all!

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Yay, double hippy Clipper.
Feel exactly the same about this life saving surgery. Glad you came back to update us.
Still recovering some on my end...but see it better every day.

Lobogris

Country
Mexico Mexico
New member, but have seen a few weeks ago your comments on dlpappas´postings from 2 years ago. Your case interested me because of the 2 cm LLD and how you were doing OK with it. I did not realize that this was following your second THR on the R leg; that the surgeon was unable to restore LL following first surgery. My case is curious, as I went in for a (R) THR with a 15 mm LLD, the bad R leg being the longer (this likely being the reason the R joint was failing earlier than the left). As in your case, I did not really have pain. I had excruciating, crippling pain only just once (but certainly this was a sign of things to come). However, I was experiencing problems walking more than a half mile or so. I would start off fine (with maybe a 1 cm insert in L shoe) but after six or seven blocks of brisk walking, my right leg would seem to suddenly get longer and my right buttock would start to seize up, and I would be limping. Stopping for 30 seconds allowed me to continue trouble free another three blocks, but then the same problems would recur I mention, that like you, I also had a range of movement problem with the R leg, and this looks like it was due to two bone spurs on the inside near the hip joint. The OS removed these and now I have same (good) range of motion as left leg.

Well, the OS had promised me he would eliminate my 15 mm LLD, but now after 8 months post op it is clear he did not. It would seem he simply forgot to take off the extra length, but I have yet to have a really good talk with him (I am aware that sometimes a surgeon must forgo LL equality for joint stability etc.) I will confront him next week or so with my recovery problems (I had the surgery here in Mexico where I live but have been in the US for several months). Crazy, as I lived almost all my life with moderate congenital scoliosis and LLD without any real problems until the last five years (and when I began to use shoe inserts) but now post op problem walking is as bad or worse than pre op, even when with inserts up to a cm or so. Eight months now since surgery and I still need a cane if I am going to walk more than 50 paces! Well I just finished 2 mos of PT and my R hip muscles are much stronger; but, well, I am still nervous about regaining full mobility. And it has galled me to have to worry about heel lifts and inserts as I had to pre surgery. I live in Puerto Vallarta, and I want to go barefoot and in sandals. I have a great "shoe surgeon" here in PV, but he cannot help with all these new sandals that have contoured soles. So I am still looking for the right sandals just as I was before surgery!

Well, anyway, your story gives me hope. I find it very encouraging that you can do the amount of walking you are doing. And I am impressed too with your physical exercise regimen. With the hip problem I began to walk less, and then too I got even slacker with other exercises like push ups. Well, here is another aspect, and a reason I should not be so depressed. Even if I could not walk, I have the ocean right next to me and I am PADI certified diver so I really do not have much of an excuse to be a ticked off resentful sad sack.

Thanks again for sharing your experience here. Best of luck.

Last edited:

Jamie

ADMINISTRATOR
Senior Administrator
Country
Hi, @Lobogris .... welcome to BoneSmart. I'm glad you decided to post and tell your story. I see that @Clipper was on the forum on August 30th, but there is a chance that he won't see your post. So I've tagged him for you. You might also want to start a thread of your own in the recovery forum to talk with others about your situation. We have a lot of great hippies out there who will be more likely to respond to you in your own thread.

Here's a link to the Hip Recovery Forum Index Page. Just click on the button to Post A New Thread in the upper right of the screen and create your thread.

OP
OP
Clipper

Clipper

Country
@Lobogris - Ha! I'm also PADI certified and had 2 of my children certified also.

Getting my shoe soles modified for my shorter leg has been very helpful for me. I'm grateful to be able to walk and I've walked over 1 1/2 miles every day since my 2nd hip surgery. The crippling effects of hip arthritis conquered by hip replacement is a major thing I'm grateful for in my life. Be patient and goodluck.

Thanks @Jamie for tagging me!

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Hey, Clipper...It was nice to hear from you, thanks for your kind wishes on my thread.
I noticed you recently passed the four year anniversary for Lefty, with Righty almost four and a half years already. I hope all continues to go well for you.

Leave an update if you‘re interested. I often looked ahead early in my recovery wondering what it would be like as the years clicked by. So far, so good for me. Hopefully the same for you also.
Be safe and stay well!
@Clipper

OP
OP
Clipper

Clipper

Country
Hello @Layla ! Yes it's been 4 years since my left hip, and will be 4 years in Nov for my right hip. I still walk and exercise every day and my hips are one of the main things in my life I'm grateful for and I feel great. I see you'll hit 3 years in June for your right hip. Congratulations! Hope all is well. Nice of you to inquire about me. Best of luck to you!

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
So happy you are double hippy happy...:roseshwr:
You were one of my early comforters and a cheerleader and I, too am grateful that I got my life back with hip replacements.
:chuckmarch:

OP
OP
Clipper

Clipper

Country
@Mojo333 - Thanks for the kind words! I see you're about to hit 3 years! Hope you are doing well. I considered bilateral but chickened out! Hope the recent tornadoes spared you. Good luck.

Our ancestors weren't able to overcome hip OA and were left crippled. Hooray for modern medicine!

New

Active Antibacterial

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
KateT
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom