MUA Christina’s 2nd TKR Recovery

if I relax too much or remain too inactive, then I’m going to relapse & never get my ROM
Not true! There is no window of opportunity when it comes to ROM. Get that swelling under control and the ROM will increase naturally.
 
I was so worried about my ROM my whole first year, but it continued to improve way into my second year post op. It made me rather angry that they cause us so much stress about something that improved way past the supposed window of opportunity.
 
I didn't worry about what my ROM numbers were, I just did the things I needed to do. As time went by I was able to do more and more. I don't even know what my numbers are now and don't care. I can do what I need and want to do. That is what is important!
 
Thank you, lovely ladies, @Jaycey, @Jockette, and @sistersinhim for your encouraging words.
Yes, it does make me angry, too, that they cause us so much stress!
For me, it’s been so difficult to just totally “let go” of all expectations and, especially, to let go of all the “medical” advice and just let my knee HEAL.
To be honest, I have that tiny part of my brain that (still!) will cast doubt...like today, where my stiffness, limp, extension are “worse”....small, questioning doubts will creep in my ol’ noggin....and it takes every thing in me to cast aside those doubts and just go rest, ice, elevate instead of telling myself to go do MORE!
 
To be honest, I still have that tiny part of my brain that (still!) will cast doubt...like today, where my stiffness, limp, extension are “worse”....small, questioning doubts will creep in my ol’ noggin....and it takes every thing in me to cast aside those doubts and just go rest, ice, elevate instead of telling myself to go do MORE!
I felt just like this my whole first year, even reading Bonesmart every day. But, now at more than 3 years post op, I can look back and see the improvements, that came in time, even after that first year. Time being the operative word.

I’ll be honest, in case you haven’t read this yet, I did not end up with a good outcome. I had, what I later learned, was a controversial partial, (some surgeons won’t even do it) and it has not gone well for me. But, even so, I am much better now than I was during that first year of recovery. In my second year, my whole leg relaxed and things improved. That‘s when I realized how much time I wasted worrying about meeting everyone else’s unrealistic expectations.

I’m not saying you won’t improve until your second year, I’m just making a point that we will heal, and we need to try to relax and trust our body to do it’s healing thing, and it will.

As we said before, this recovery takes an average of a year (mine took closer to 2) so you have lots of time to improve, and you will. :console2:
 

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015

Members online

Back
Top Bottom