Chart representation of TKR recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Josephine

NURSE DIRECTOR EMERITUS
Nurse Director
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
These are just a graphic representations of the scale of recovery after joint replacement.

It’s not scientifically produced, just to give you a general idea of how the pain and disability is higher in the first few weeks and how it then gradually tapers off over months.

Jo,
Thank you for the chart. I will keep it to remind me of where I am and also send it to my kids so that they will be able to have a better idea of what's going on.
Susan

Hey, thanks for the chart. at eight weeks out I sometimes get fed up with not feeling normal so this will be a good reminder of how early it is in the process. This has been a interesting journey...It has crystalized for me how very North American I am...very impatient. Also how marvelous the human body is when respected and not rushed. things are healing well and in good time. I am very thankful for the healing and the life lessons we get when we are forced to slow down

This chart is so reaffirming. I am four weeks post Total Knee Replacement and my gait is anything but smooth. Some morning I feel like I have a leg full of hardware! You refer to swelling...could there be swelling inside the knee going on that I cannot see by just looking at my knee. Any help or advice would be great!

Hi, Scholz...welcome to BoneSmart! So glad the forum is helpful to you.

You are correct that there can be swelling within the knee joint that is not obvious from looking at it. The knee compartment is very compact and it doesn't take much swelling to cause pain. The pain can be in the knee itself, or it's possible that the swelling can move to other locations and result in pain there. When I was recovering, I would have pain on the inside of my knee right at the joint and other times it would be down farther along my shin bone. When that happens, it's a sign to take stock of your activity level (too much can result in swelling), rest, ice and take something on a schedule for the pain for a few days or weeks.

Now that you're on board here at BoneSmart, how about starting a thread of your own in the recovery forum and telling us a bit more about yourself. We love getting to know our members better.

I did not realize the shin bone pain was radiating from the knee. Thanks for this information. Was getting discouraged by the emergence of new leg pain wondering when I was going to start feeling normal. this is not new but just more post op care!

I think I am missing something with this chart. Is there a colored coded explanation somewhere for each color in each area? Example, for the dark orange under bilateral knee replacement, is there then somewhere I go to read about that stage? Thanks.

I think I am missing something with this chart. Is there a colored coded explanation somewhere for each color in each area? Example, for the dark orange under bilateral knee replacement, is there then somewhere I go to read about that stage? Thanks.

I was going to ask that!! What do the colors mean? I'm hoping 12 weeks will be enough to BTKR...that's about how many weeks I'll have available to take paid leave.

The colors don't really "mean" anything other than to illustrate the progression from heavy-duty pain and fatigue to more normal feelings. It's the same with the position of the blocks.....they are positioned to show it is a gradual recovery over time...a long time. You have a period at the beginning where you might not see a lot of dramatic improvement. Then things pick up as time goes by.

Does that help?

The idea started out that the brighter and more red the colours, the higher the pain score, etc. But I ran out of reds so had to improvise! Red is certainly for "angry tissue" stages and green is for the calmer pastures at the end of the process.

This chart is so reaffirming. I am four weeks post Total Knee Replacement and my gait is anything but smooth. Some morning I feel like I have a leg full of hardware! You refer to swelling...could there be swelling inside the knee going on that I cannot see by just looking at my knee. Any help or advice would be great!

Scholtz; I'm 5 weeks postTKR and i still have considerable swelling. I don't feel the hardware, but I wish the swelling would go down.

This chart is so reaffirming. I am four weeks post Total Knee Replacement and my gait is anything but smooth. Some morning I feel like I have a leg full of hardware!
Er, that would be because your knee really is full of new hardware!
You refer to swelling...could there be swelling inside the knee going on that I cannot see by just looking at my knee.
Yes. It's what's stopping you having full ROM, explains why your knee hurts on bending, etc.

Four weeks, four minutes -- you've just started! Every day sees - I betcha - changes and often improvements (and often steps back), overall moving forwards. A long way to go, take it easy.

The PT people in the very good rehab where I spent two weeks following my right TKR told me that swelling can and usually does persist for as much as months. They stressed that it's important to continue to ice, and not to overdo exercise.

Also, fluid is not compressible, and the knee has no room for its expansion, so that leads to further stiffness. I don't think it's whistling in the dark to say that time and patience will take care of it!

That is so well explained, Heather!
I think I may need to nick that for future use!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015

Forum statistics

Threads