TKR Carol’s “Average” Recovery

This is good to know. My knee feels quite hot and turns red/purple when I am up and around. I am so scared of infection but as a nurse I recognize it is not infection. But its appearance and heat still freaks me out.

I can’t say my whole knee turns colour but my scar certainly does. It goes from being hardly noticeably in the morning to much darker when I have been using my knee.
 
It will do that...maybe for quite a while. Everyone is different. But, eventually the scar will settle and be just a plain old white line. We call that your badge of courage, so be proud of that scar!
 
I was concerned about mine getting darker and sent Josephine a photo of it. She said it was perfectly normal! Got that worry out of the way!
 
Can one of you lovely mods please change my title to: Carol’s “Average” Recovery.

I feel that at nearly 10 weeks I am recovering better and quicker than some and not as fast or easily as others, thus the “Average”.

Thanks.
 
I've changed your thread title for you, Carol. That's a good title, and one you shouldn't need to change again.
 
Elevation Question- I’m 11 weeks out and still swollen so I’m still icing and elevating. I keep reading “toes above nose”. Is this really optimal? I elevate toes above hip, but I often have my head propped up on a couple of pillows, or I’m reclining with bottom down and head and toes both up. Am I being inefficient by keeping my head up? One of the “good example”photos in the elevation article has a woman on the couch elevating (the one with the twisted spine). Is this position not ok? In other words, does it matter what position your upper body is in as long as your toes are well above hips?
 
I think as long as the elevation is getting your swelling down, that you're doing OK. Unless I was sleeping, my knee was about chest high. When I laid back in my recliner or in bed, then it was above my toes. My swelling was controlled well this way.
 
I will confess that for much of my recovery my toes were above my lower ribs and not my nose. Over nose happened at night and during naps. The rest of the time, my legs were elevated but so was my head. My legs were up on my wedge probably 80% of the time for the first three months, so there was lots of elevating going on. Not much else, but lots of elevating. I think the knees appreciate all efforts to do so.
 
Elevation Question- I’m 11 weeks out and still swollen so I’m still icing and elevating. I keep reading “toes above nose”. Is this really optimal? I elevate toes above hip, but I often have my head propped up on a couple of pillows, or I’m reclining with bottom down and head and toes both up. Am I being inefficient by keeping my head up? One of the “good example”photos in the elevation article has a woman on the couch elevating (the one with the twisted spine). Is this position not ok? In other words, does it matter what position your upper body is in as long as your toes are well above hips?

Toes above your nose works best of all, but it can be uncomfortable and it's almost impossible to achieve unless you're lying flat.
Toes above your hips is perfectly OK. The important thing is to make sure that the swelling can drain back towards your body and into your general circulation.

Is this the example you mean? The leg elevation is good.
[Bonesmart.org] Carol’s “Average” Recovery

Josephine did comment on the woman's position, saying, "on the settee - though preferably not with your back twisted like the model's!"
 
Thanks for chiming in @Celle, @sistersinhim and @SusieShoes. I would like my swelling to decrease more and faster (wouldn’t we all?) and just wanted to make sure I wasn’t hindering it by sitting while elevating. Currently I am reclining on the couch with the Lounge Dr, an ice pack and my toes actually higher than my nose, but I can only do this for so long before I want to sit up.

Edit to add: yes- that is the picture to which I was referring.
 
Last edited:
My thought exactly about the twisted way she is stretched out on the couch. Made my neck and back hurt.
 
Is that a picture of a Lounge Dr?
 
@Jockette It's a double wide Lounge Dr. - its like the one I ordered. I like it because both my legs fit on it beautifully, plus my legs are so long, but this large size fits me very well.
 
Today is my 3 month surgery anniversary, and I'm writing this post so I remember where I was, and what I went through, in case I have to do this again, although thankfully, my left knee is fine (for now).
Surgery Day 1: had a nerve block in the leg, and an epidural, catheter in only during recovery, then out as soon as my bladder emptied. Woke up and felt rather alert, but couldn't move my toes, so no PT. My blood sugar was severely elevated (238?) so insulin for the first time. Oxy, which made me nauseous, so switched to hydrocodone (Norco) which worked. Appetite was good, and the food is good at the hospital.
Day 2 - walked around with PT, and up and down 1 stair. Leg feels sturdy - no thought of collapsing. 95 flex with "help" from therapist. I hated having to call for the nurse to go to the bathroom each time, and unstrap my legs from the pulsing sleeves.
Day 3 - home with the Donjoy IceMan machine (my new best friend) and ordered a Lounge Dr. after finding this forum.
Home: PT at home for 4 weeks, which I switched to once/week. Flex started at 78, then moved to 90. Gentle exercises. Walker for 3 weeks, then cane. By the time I was on the cane I didn't need it. Could maneuver around my kitchen with ease, as counters available within reach. Low appetite, and wanted healthy food such as 1/2 apple, 4 sticks celery, small bowls of soup and chili. Had 2 outings in the first 4 weeks, one to get my hair cut, and another to get my ear cartilage piercing back in.
Follow-Up: 1 month - met with PA who said my swelling was great (little did we know my swelling wouldn’t continue to improve as rapidly). Started outpatient PT after. Once/week, as I found it took me 2 days to recover from a PT session. Not that the therapist was doing anything, but I wanted to please them and over-exerted, I am sure.
Pain meds - went home with 84 Norco, and had 2 refills of 84 each. Have about 20 leftover. Started at 6 Norco/day, then 5 Norco and 1000 mg Tylenol to sub for 1. At 2 months started weaning off by spacing meds to 6 hours, then subbing in 1000 mg Tylenol. Ended up with 1 Norco at bed, then 1/2. No more Norco by 9 weeks. At 13weeks I am down to 1000 mg Tylenol once or twice (if lots of activity) per day. I feel that I was on a lot of pain meds compared to other people, but I never had pain of more than a 4, and mostly a 1-2, because I was medicating regularly. Worked for me, and no withdrawal symptoms. Nice to be off the narcotics, which meant I could stop the stool softeners as well.
Trips - had a week long trip at 7 weeks. 5.5 hour long plane rides, using compression socks, ice bags, and walking every hour. Swelling of lower leg after that, which went away. Grandchildren chasing, then early bed and icing and elevating whenever napping and at night. Next trip was at 11 weeks. 4 hour car ride each way (iced) and 5.5 hour plane rides (better than the first one - same precautions).
Heat in my knee - I saw my OS at 2 months, to confirm the heat in my knee is "normal", and that my swelling isn't abnormal. He said I am fine, but apparently a "sweller". Promises me I will be able to handle my 2 week motorcycle trip mid-June. He suggested 3 Ibuprofen/day with food for a week to see if that helped. I confess I haven't been regular with this yet. Guess I need to go back to setting my alarm for meds.
Swelling - this has been my biggest issue. My flex at 13 weeks is 100-110. My knee is still quite swollen, and I can go upstairs foot over foot, but downstairs is painful and awkward. I can pedal the exercise bike, but if I move my foot to increase the bend in my knee - painful. Still elevating and icing for at least an hour at a time, at least twice/day and often more times. Sometimes elevating my leg is on my Lounge Doctor, and sometimes just propped up on a chair beside me.
Activity - at 13 weeks I can stand in my kitchen and cook for over an hour. I can walk at least a mile. I'm doing between 3200 and 4700 steps on average each day, according to my Fitbit. My leg feels strong and capable - just swollen and not bending as much as I'd like. I can drive, although my knee clunks when I shift from gas to brake pedal (normal apparently, but unnerving) and I can have my leg hanging down while sitting, although I prefer not to, and usually don't. I can sit on my motorcycle, but haven't had it out yet due to snow, rain, cold, and generally crappy weather.
Still going to PT once/week, and starting pool in addition tomorrow. I've had a couple of massages and those feel great, and seem to help temporarily with the swelling. Otherwise, it's some stretching (lunges on the stairs, hanging my leg down when I'm lying in bed) ADL, walking and exercise bike 4-5 minutes/time 2 or 3 times/day.
Work - I work on a computer (contracts lawyer) and have been doing so since the hospital. I never had the brain fog others had (although maybe I should look back at the early emails I sent!) and I've been working at least 6 hours/day spread out, either my my bed with my ipad, or from my home office with my leg propped up on a chair with an icepack. I've gone in to the office a couple of times, and will start going in 2 days/week next week, and continuing to do the rest from home.

BoneSmart has been very helpful, not to mention entertaining, and I'm glad I found this forum.
 
Last edited:
Today was a good day in my recovery. I got on my bike and rode for an hour. Knee bent fine but did complain a little about just hanging out in one position. I LOVE to ride and haven’t been on the bike since the fall. 2 months from now I leave for an 18 day trip with 2 other women from Ohio to Utah, Vegas, the Grand Canyon and Phoenix where we will fly home and ship our bikes. Need more recovery, but I know it will happen. Happy, happy, happy! Of course I’m now elevating and icing.
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Carol’s “Average” Recovery
    B708A629-930A-4ED7-AA88-DFFB034C5442.jpeg
    123.5 KB · Views: 185

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom