TKR Can't straighten leg or walk eleven weeks post op

until you know that this is the first time that I have been able to do this for five years! Guess who is a Happy Bunny?
Congratulations!
That is great news- so pleased for you.
Take it steady.
 
You have every right to be a happy bunny! We’re happy right along with you!
It is wonderful news and a sign of good things to come!
@JamesAB
 
Hello, everybody,

It is some five months since I have updated my status here. I do so wish I could now say that I am walking without pain or difficulty but, alas, I cannot.

On the plus side moving about using a walker or furniture hopping is easier than in May. I don't suffer much pain, the muscles in my affected leg have grown quite a bit and any swelling during the day of the lower leg is between nil and negligible. The area around the knee used to be very warm compared to the other, now it is only slightly warm but still noticeable.

Even with the muscle regrowth, I still cannot put enough weight on the leg, which is now almost as straight as it ever was, to support my weight. It is odd because it is not due to pain, but a feeling of weakness or that it will give way.

The most noticeable feature is that quite often the leg feels as though it is "stunned" like what happens if you bang your elbow! Indeed this stunned feeling can and does happen quite often resulting in the leg spontaneously folding at the knee behind me. When this happens it is very difficult to straighten the leg but, if I sit down, I can almost immediately stand up and put what weight I can on it. I put this down too being associated with nerves of the leg in some way and I hope it will eventually disappear.

This "stunned" feeling does not occur around the knee but rather, it seems, is located in, or around the shin bone extending down to my foot.

There does seem to be a cyclic process to my current situation but I have yet to discern a pattern. Some days, or indeed parts of days I can get around relatively easily but at other times not so. However the good times are good and the bad times bearable.

I do Pilates (when I remember) and leg stretching exercises which help a lot.

As to what the future holds, I know not. All I can do is hope for the best, expect the worst and accept anything in between.

Kind Regards,
Jim
 
Hi Jim, It sounds a lot like you could possibly have a nerve issue originating in your back. I do know what it's like to have an unsatisfactory outcome and it's like being in the middle of a dense fog -- hard to figure out. The good surgeries I had, I was fully doing everything in three months. If I were in your shoes I would contact my PCP to make an inquiry about a possible nerve issue.
 
@JamesAB I have been thinking about you and wondering how you were doing. So sorry you have nerve issues.

Could the weakness you are feeling be a result of dealing with mobility issues before the surgery?
The most noticeable feature is that quite often the leg feels as though it is "stunned" like what happens if you bang your elbow! Indeed this stunned feeling can and does happen quite often resulting in the leg spontaneously folding at the knee behind me. When this happens it is very difficult to straighten the leg but, if I sit down, I can almost immediately stand up and put what weight I can on it.
Have you called Mr Zahn about this? He should be able to advise on that knee giving out. It does sound like a nerve issue. Does pilates ease this feeling?

Do reach out to get some advice on this. You have made so much progress. I do hope you get some answers.
 
@Jaycey: Don't quite know what to do right now. Three options. 1) Go to GP; 2) Consult Mr Zahn 3) Consult a Neurosurgeon?

Problem is further complicated by the fact that for the last 5-6 years I have had "pins and needles" in my hands with "pruney" fingers and some loss of sense of touch.
I know I have degenerative changes in my spine and also in my cervical vertebrae so, one or more trapped nerves is a possibility.

I'm trying some exercises which might release trapped nerves but I have little hope of success./ I'll probably give it a week and then contact my GP. That will probably be a telephone appointment, he has a strong foreign accent and I'm hard of hearing so that should be fun.
I could do without this at my age. Will it never end?!!

P.S. I have decided to contact Mr Zahn as a first step.

P.P.S. I don't think Pilates does any harm to my leg certainly it helps with muscle regrowth. I was originally pointed to Pilates by a surgeon I saw for lower back pain and Pilates completely relieved that.
 
Last edited:
Problem is further complicated by the fact that for the last 5-6 years I have had "pins and needles" in my hands with "pruney" fingers and some loss of sense of touch.
I know I have degenerative changes in my spine and also in my cervical vertebrae so, one or more trapped nerves is a possibility.

I'm trying some exercises which might release trapped nerves but I have little hope of success
I, too, have experienced this. My spine doctor emailed me some exercises that helped me tremendously. It didn't happen overnight, but after a month or so I saw improvement. Also, I bought a water pillow, which is very comfortable and eases my symptoms. I suggest you try the exercises and maybe even the pillow.
 
Problem is further complicated by the fact that for the last 5-6 years I have had "pins and needles" in my hands with "pruney" fingers and some loss of sense of touch.
I know I have degenerative changes in my spine and also in my cervical vertebrae so, one or more trapped nerves is a possibility.
Sounds like spinal issues. I have degenerative discs in my lumbar spine. The symptoms are similar to what you are feeling only it's further down for me. My right foot has pins and needles an most of the time feels numb.

But if your knee is giving out I think Zahn would be my first go to. If he agrees that it might be spinal, maybe he can recommending someone for you to follow up with.

Yes, Pilates is excellent for building core stability. I'm glad you are continuing with this.

So sorry you are still having issues! Fingers crossed that you can get some answers or at least a plan to move forward.
 
Sometimes I don't know whether I'm on my backside or elbow with this knee. In the last month the "stunned" feeling in my leg has disappeared and the strength in the leg increased quite a bit: I have been testing using bathroom scales how much weight I can support on the leg. 10 days ago it was 50kg. Yesterday it was 59kg. I see my Consultant tomorrow and I don't quite know what too say to him!
This must be one of the longest running sagas in this forum!!

Kind Regards, Jim
 
@JamesAB Such good news! Yes, sometimes it take awhile to see results. Well done! Just let Mr Zahn know about the problems you have had and have him confirm you are heading in the right direction.
This must be one of the longest running sagas in this forum!!
No, there have been much longer recoveries. And for some, the end result is not always positive. So glad things are finally working for you. Long may it continue!
 
Saw Mr Zahn today, I have to say he is an excellent consultant. He says I have nothing to worry about and that I will continue to improve over the next year. He says I am unique and my recovery is conditioned by my inherent disability. I am much reassured and will double up on exercises to speed recovery.
Thanks to all on this forum for the help, support and good advice that I have received.

Kindest Regards, Jim
 
@JamesAB You made my day with this post! Yes, Zahn is caring and comforting. So glad you had a good meeting with him.

Please ease into more exercise. You had mobility issues for quite awhile pre-op. The slow and steady approach is recommended.

Well done Jim!
 
I am much reassured and will double up on exercises to speed recovery.

I’m so glad things are going well and you feel so assured!

But as Jaycey said, please use caution when increasing exercises. Don’t double them. You are doing very well with what you are doing now. Stay with what is working.
 
What a wonderful update, Jim! The best is you received reassurance which is so uplifting and comforting.
Thank you for sharing the good news with us. Much appreciated. A great weekend to you!
@JamesUK
 
A late Christmas present for me: As most of you will know, I have been struggling with an inability to walk unaided following a right knee replacement in November 2018. In January this year, I had the kneecap relined in an effort to solve the problem. In my naivety, I expected to be walking ok in a couple of weeks. This was not the case and I saw my consultant (the excellent Mr Helmut Zahn) in November this year who reassured me that I had another year of improvement ahead. Duly reassured I have been plodding along with little or no pain but still unable to walk unaided. On Christmas Day my son, Paul and his husband Ed came down from where they live in Norfolk to join us for lunch at my other son, Mark's house a mile away. Paul came in a huge, what I call a Norfolk Tractor, Range Rover that you need a ladder to get into. It was somewhat of a difficulty for me. So much so that on boxing day my leg felt worse that it had for ages, so much so that I could hardly walk and to be honest, I felt quite depressed. Lo and behold, the Miracle of Christmas: Today I did something I haven't done for over five years, I stood up! I will explain that It wasn't the standing up it was the way that I did it which was without using my hands to push myself up! I repeated this twice to make sure I wasn't dreaming! Furthermore, I was able to walk several times up and down our kitchen "hands free" and to cap it all I have just walked around our attic room using my stick!
Glory to God in the Highest! I am indeed a Happy Bunny! I am expecting a Happy and Healthy New Year and may I wish the same upon you all!
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom