• SCHEDULED MAINTENANCE. BoneSmart will be unavailable from 8:00am - 10:00am CDT on Tuesday, May 21, 2024 due to required systems maintenance and upgrade.

If you are unable to log in, please check back later and the maintenance should be completed.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

TKR Can’t decide

Tony49xxxx

Country
Australia Australia
I’m scheduled to have a total knee replacement on both knees but I’m reluctant I’m 72 years old had great pain in my knees but if I take OxyContin the pain is bearable I’m not sure if it’s worth it at my age I just can’t make up my mind some advice would be great.

This is a great question and one most of us ask ourselves. You are the only one who knows how much your knees are impacting your life. With your surgeon be brutally honest - share your concerns. If need be make a list of "why" your considering the TKR.

We will be here to help you along the journey, but we can't decide for you. That's totally up to you.

The question I asked myself was if the pain I was experiencing was affecting my quality of life. I thought about the things I wanted to do like keeping up my home and being able to travel. When I thought about traveling and how debi it was to get out of the car after a 30 minute drive, I decided to have the knee replaced. I’m now thinking about having the other knee replaced in order that I can visit my family who is a 12 hour drive away.

What you should think about is that your knees will never get better, only worse. You are already in pain, controlled only by painkillers. You don’t have a lot to lose. After replacement, initially you will still be in pain and taking painkillers, but at least after a while there is a really good chance that your legs will be pain free and your quality of life will improve dramatically.

Tony, I am a year older than you and I had both knees replaced recently, 8 weeks apart and I am SO GLAD I did! I held offfor quite a while until the pain and limitations just became too much. What will you do when the Oxy stops working? By then you might be 2-3 years older! You will never be in better health than you are now. Definitely talk it over with a good orthopedic surgeon, but my vote is “strike while the iron is hot.” 72 is NOT old!

I agree with Sisterpat. Although I just had both revisions done at once, I was really glad I did both. Less pain meds, only one anesthesia. Was definitely hard at first. But now both are done and getting better. Oxy forever is not the way to live and will eventually not work well. If you decide to do both, remember to get a lifted seat for the toilet, a recliner to elevate but not too low. I sat on pillows to get up easier. I also rented a scooter because I had to go back to work early. But before you know it, you wouldn’t need all of that stuff. But great while you do need it! Good luck!

Tony: I decided to get my knees replaced because my knees were letting me down -- literally. My knees hurt and I couldn't depend on them to not collapse when I walked. I figured my knees would only get worse and that I'd end up in a wheelchair. Not acceptable at age 68! Of course, no one on BoneSmart can tell you what to do and, YES, those first two weeks post-op are HELL but, it gets better. I am now 3 months post-op from my LTKR and am glad that I now have two new knees to carry me on my life's adventures. Are you thinking about getting both knees done at the same time? There are other options: You can get one knee done and then get the other one done in 6-8 weeks. Do you have someone to help you through those first couple of weeks? Talk over your concerns with your surgeon. I had several cortisone shots and even did the SYNVISC injections. All brought only temporary relief. My surgeon said: "You'll let me know when you're ready for a replacement." When I was ready, I walked into his office and said: "Let's do it!" In the end, it is your decision but, I'm with Sisterpat: You're only 72. Get those knees replaced and you can ditch the Oxy and look forward to walking the rest of your life without pain.

Hello @Tony49xxxx - and :welome:

Please will you tell us the full dates of your planned knee replacements and which knee it is each time, so we can make a signature for you? Knowing the exact date will help us to advise you appropriately.
Thank you.:flwrysmile:

You will see that I have moved your thread from the Knee Surgery Recovery Area to the Pre-Op Area, because you haven't yet had your surgeries.

Please post any updates or questions about your recovery in this area. We will see them there, as someone checks all the new posts every day.
If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.
Tagging other members and answering tags

If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.

Just in case you couldn't find your thread, here are the instructions on finding your thread,
How can I find my threads and posts .

A helpful hint - Many members have found it useful to bookmark their thread so they don't lose it.

Best wishes,
Celle

I’m reluctant I’m 72 years old had great pain in my knees but if I take OxyContin the pain is bearable I’m not sure if it’s worth it at my age I just can’t make up my mind some advice would be great.
First of all, your knees aren't going to get any better than they are now. They will continue to get worse. You're only 72 and you could live for another 20 years or more. Do you want to carry on in pain for all those years?

Second, you don't know how your health will be in a few years' time. Your health now is probably as good as it's going to get. Have the surgery now, and not when you're in poorer health.

My mother had one knee replaced when she was 82 and the other one when she was 85. She lived until she was 89. While she wasn't very active in her remaining years, she spent those last 4 years without pain and without having to take strong pain relief. That mattered a lot to her and it made her last years much more pleasant.

It can be difficult to assess how much arthritic knees affect our quality of life, because deterioration creeps in so quietly. Try filling in this form, to see how your knees are limiting your life:

Score Chart: How bad is my arthritic knee?

These stories are encouraging:
Stories of amazing knee recoveries

I agree you should do it. I had my right done last August and my left this May. The knees will only continue to get worse and misshapen throwing everything off. My knees were both bone on bone and I was very knocked kneed. My decision was made when the pain was so severe I couldn’t even walk normally. The first 2 weeks were no picnic but it gets so much better. It’s totally worth it! My dad was 90
When he had his knee done and died at 96. His only regret was that he didn’t do it sooner. You have a lot of life left to live you might as well enjoy it!

Hi Tony,
I had the same decision to make, although I only just turned 70! I have a very active 10 year-old granddaughter and want to spend time with her...and keeping up with the gymnast she is is not for the faint of heart! But, I had my second knee done 11 weeks ago and am SO glad I did!

When we were recently away at the Oregon coast, I was able to walk down the moving, rickety dock ramp to encourage her to push herself up onto the dock, and no way couldI have made it down that ramp pre-surgery!

The chart Celle sent you is wonderful! Do, complete it and save a copy to do a month down the road..... It helps you determine what you've given up in the slow inexorable process of knees degrading; it was sobering when I did it! But, I showed it to my OS and he was really happy I had done it, in fact, wanted to hold on to it as something for all of his patients to do!

I think you have some interesting views here to consider, so I'm sure you will do what's best for you. In my case, I plan to be around for a while; I've got longevity in my genes, so it was a wonderful decision to do both my knees.

My doctors told me I would say "When" the surgery was needed and that is exactly what I said when I went to see my Ortho who did the referral to the surgeon, He also laughed when I said "WHEN"
I probably waited longer than I should have too and now are paying for it while I wait to have surgery in October.

It is very common to second guess ourselves when deciding on the surgery. "Is it bad enough?" I have to agree with so much of what's been said above. Life that is not controlled by your knee is great!

I have just had my right knee done (TKR) this Wednesday and now I'm back home.

My Surgeon said he did not normally approve of doing both knees at the same time so I will have to wait for the second one.

I was surprised at how little pain there was - but I'll just follow the pain killer medication.

I'm 73, hadn't found this web site, but the few people who I asked about the operation were all positive about it.

Right now I'm really glad I had it done and glad I only had one knee done. The other knee although bad is a godsend for getting about.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member