Guest viewing is limited

TKR campcol1's Recovery Story

That's right--the main thing is that it is improving. As much of a struggle the first couple of months can be, in some ways it's the easier part, because your improvement is more obvious. In the following months the improvements can be more subtle, but they do happen.
 
I think it's time for an update. It's now over 7 mths since my ltkr. It's over 9 mths since bilateral hip replacement. If you ask me at what point was I happy with my results, it's finally now. I realized that I don't hurt. My stiffness is mostly gone. My pain is mostly gone. I go up and down stairs without thinking. I am hiking 3 miles 4 x week. My recovery was slow and painful. 2 months into ltkr, I had synovectomy and scar tissue removal. My hip replacement constant bursitis in r hip. No matter how much I tried, I could not speed up recovery. I hurt, limped, cried, and regretted both surgeries. I simply wasn't healing fast enough. I followed the rules eventually. Things slowly improved but not at my pace. Then all of a sudden, I find my self NOT thinking about my pain or stiffness. It's gone more than being present. I just wanted to share my experience. Everyone's time frame is individualized. There are somethings that can't be controlled. I thank bonesmart.org for all your information and support. The stories helped me to heal.
 
@campcol1 Great update! More proof that a bit of patience can really make the difference in recovery. You just can't rush this process.
 
Campcol1: Thank you for your inspiring post. If only we could all understand how important it is to advocate for ourselves, to be patient with ourselves, and to willingly accept help from others as we recover. It's so hard to "see" it when we're in the midst of it. "I'm not improving fast enough." "I'm 3 weeks post-op and I should be able to do _______ by now." "My ROM is only ___________ and my PT and OS say it should be more by now." All of these self-judgements are why posts like yours are so important: We can "see" your progress and remind ourselves that we too will get there.
 
Back
Top Bottom