THR Bunnymama's recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.

bunnymama

I finally made it back here!

Six am surgery on Thursday, 15 November. I was supposed to have a spinal, but I have no idea what else I got for drugs. I slept for three days straight, just about -- even during physical therapy. Plus I was hallucinating and couldn't string a sentence together. My husband has lots of funny stories about me !

The surgery went great. I wasn't released until Monday afternoon due to low O2 blood levels. The doctor put me on a steroid course, so then I was WIDE awake at nights. The pain isn't too bad, but I have trouble getting comfy. I think I'll try some light upper body exercises just to keep the blood flowing.

Tomorrow I start out-patient therapy. Yay.

My husband is a complete saint. I enjoyed having him around for the Thanksgiving holidays. Tomorrow he goes back to work.

On a sad note, my 13 year old bunny, Eeyore, passed away on Saturday. He'd had a variety of problems, so we knew it was going to happen at some point. But his bunny friend, Lily, is pretty lost and sad :(

How long does it take to move from a walker to a cane? I'm really dinging the woodwork.

Wow! What an ordeal you have had. Although 3 straight days of sleep sounds heavenly about now. I am sorry to hear about the loss of your bunny. Our pets have a way of worming themselves deep within our hearts. When we lost our beloved 14 year old Jack Russell Terrier last Christmastime, our boxer became so depressed. Our vet suggested getting her another companion. So we got a beautiful little french bulldog named Bandit. The boxer took to him immediately and perked right up.

I can't answer your question about moving from a walker to a cane as I am non-weightbearing and forced to use crutches. Low O2 levels can be brought about by pain meds. I can't believe you are already going to outpatient therapy. You are moving along super quick. How are you feeling? How is your pain level? Are your pain meds providing you with enough relief? Which approach did your doctor use? I'm guessing an anterior approach by your rapid progression.

I'm sure someone like Poppet or Josephine will be along shortly to provide you with some wonderful guidance. In the meantime, please feel free to post any questions or concerns here.

Best wishes,
Tammy

The PT showed up at my house 5 or 6 days post-op. She asked if I had a cane and when I did, she said, well, let's try it out. I did and she said I was okay to use it. For about the next 2 weeks, though, I used the walker mornings and evenings, when it was nice to have a little extra support. The visiting nurse, though, moved the wheels from the outside to the inside of the frame which made it more maneuverable.

We share something in common - my husband too is a complete saint. I wasn't sure he would be up for all the nurturing not to mention physical aspects of my post op recovery but he was. He was a bit flummoxed with what to do with my emotional melt downs but he hung in there!

Moving from walker to cane is up to you as long as your MD doesn't put any restrictions on you. For me, the 1st time my PT suggested it I got pretty upset - I just wasn't ready. One week later I walked into a PT session using the cane. In my head I was now safe enough to give up the walker, although even no I still use it at night when I have to get up. It just feels more stable when I am groggy with sleep. And now I am beginning to walk short distances without the cane, although still with a bit of a limp. I'm a bit slower with a posterior approach.

Hi Bunnymama,

First of all my condolences on the loss of your Bunny. I lost my big beautiful Giant Schnauzer Zuri a week ago, Hip dysplasia & Degenerative Myelopathy. She was shy of twelve. I am devastated. Secondly , congrats on your surgery and your recovery. It sounds like you are coming along nicely :yay:

Nessiepie
December 14, 2012

Hi Bunnymama,

The transition from walker to cane occurs when your mind recognizes that your body is ready. Your body will be ready when....it's ready. How's that for perfect clarity. :)

Seriously, at some point you'll get up and forget to grab your walker. You'll take a few steps and realize that you're pretty strong, and not too wobbly. That's a good time to start using the cane. Or each day, give the cane a quick try. One day...it will feel quite comfortable. Or...when you start PT, have the therapist observe you with the cane and give you pointers if you need them. You may also find that you can use the cane comfortably for short distances, but still need the walker for longer hauls. (By the way, all this advice will hold true for when you are ready to ditch the cane and walk unassisted.)

The important thing is to progress in your walking in a way that helps you avoid limping. Make sure you stay ahead of your pain, and then strive for a steady, even, non-limping stride. If you limp with the cane, you still need the walker. You are at 11 days now....you could be ready today. Or in a week. Or in a month. There is no rule.

Sharon

:goodpost:I agree with Sharon. I can not wait to graduate! Good luck BunnyMama!

Bunnymama,

I ditto what Tammy said about our pets. I too lost a dog over the summer and I still miss him dearly.

So your surgery was a couple days after mine and I just switched over to the cane this afternoon. I had been 'testing' it for a few days. PT just had me start using it and it was fine. We even did some OT in the bathroom to make sure I was really comfortable with it. Hubby's still a protective sort but I don't think it wil hurt his feelings much not to have to accompany me in the middle of the night! He still gets up with me to double check pills and dosages just to be safe.

Take it day by day and let your hip do the talking. Don't do anything it doesn't like and you should be good.

Bunnymama - wow, sounds like you are doing really well! I agree with everyone else's advice about when to switch.

So sorry about the loss of your beloved Eyore! The always leave such a hole in amour hearts when they are gone.

Thank you everyone for your kind words about Eeyore. I'm glad I'm home to give some exta loving to his bunny wife, Lily. Like me, some days are better than others.

I can't believe -- you guys are right. I tried using my cane yesterday, and I was fine. For the first time in years, I'm not walking all hunched over. Feels great. Plus today at therapy, I rode the exercise bike for 9 minutes, 1.5 miles. I missed being able to bike ride.

I haven't been pushing myself too hard -- my home exercises, watching TV, shopping online for Christmas. Once a day I walk out my front door around to the back door and visit my other bunny downstairs. Merrybelle looks like a Flemish Giant, but she's only 9 pounds instead of the typical 20. All my guys are shelter "mutts.". They do help me keep smiling.

I just wish I was sleeping better. No pain, just awake.... At least I can come visit here!

Thanks again.

I haven't slept a solid night yet, so you have company. Visiting here is good, since you're among people who get it. I also have been playing a lot of Scrabble on my phone and on my tablet...always someone awake somewhere. Let me add how sorry I am about your pet, they are such a part of our lives. I had no idea there were bunnies in shelters, too, but it makes sense. We live near a reservoir where I think people dump their unwanted pets, so we've had many stray kitties over the years. Congrats on the cane, you'll be flying with it soon, it makes such a difference.

PJ, 2am Scrabble... There's an idea. Shelters almost always spay and neuter surrended/"stray" bunnies before they're adopted out. Otherwise, they multiply like rabbits ;) I love bunnies -- they're friendlier than cats, but more self sfficient than dogs. Plus, since they're raw vegans their food -- and poops -- don't smell. And they prefer to use a litterbox for the most part.

P.s. They love herbs. Wouldn't you like a pet with parsley breathe? :)

I went to the grocery store and thought I'd cook dinner -- tamale pie, which is a lot like a shepherd's pie only with a cornmeal crust instead of mashed potatoes. Wow, did I get tired in a hurry. I went with chili instead ;)

Bunny, it sounds like you are getting up and around quite nicely. Please take care not to let yourself get too tired.

Thanks, Damn! for the gentle reminder - it's easy to forget that it was major surgery. I feel so much better already than I have in a few years. (I had to put off my surgery until my health insurance and employment situation were squared away.) I wanna skip and dance!

Me too Bunny, me too. But I will tell you what....let's you and I pace ourselves and save the skiping and dancing for after Valentines or so. We wouldn't want anything to happen to our beautiful new hips.

I finally made it back here!

Six am surgery on Thursday, 15 November. I was supposed to have a spinal, but I have no idea what else I got for drugs. I slept for three days straight, just about -- even during physical therapy. Plus I was hallucinating and couldn't string a sentence together. My husband has lots of funny stories about me !

The surgery went great. I wasn't released until Monday afternoon due to low O2 blood levels. The doctor put me on a steroid course, so then I was WIDE awake at nights. The pain isn't too bad, but I have trouble getting comfy. I think I'll try some light upper body exercises just to keep the blood flowing.

Tomorrow I start out-patient therapy. Yay.

My husband is a complete saint. I enjoyed having him around for the Thanksgiving holidays. Tomorrow he goes back to work.

On a sad note, my 13 year old bunny, Eeyore, passed away on Saturday. He'd had a variety of problems, so we knew it was going to happen at some point. But his bunny friend, Lily, is pretty lost and sad :(

How long does it take to move from a walker to a cane? I'm really dinging the woodwork.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties